New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Augustus Bove House

Augustus Bove House
Ranked #3 of 5 Naples B&B and Inns
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Lovely lake view, but a little run-down.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

We were disappointed with our stay at this inn. The shower was a disaster. The water was either scalding hot or freezing cold. The bed was very comfortable and we did have a balcony off our room. Unfortunately the noise from the road right out front was very loud, but the view was beautiful. The innkeepers were very friendly and we enjoyed talking with them at breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank maegivens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My Augustus Bove House experience was terrible from start to finish! From the moment we arrived the innkeeper was beyond rude. The innkeeper answered the door barefoot and in a dirty old apron. When asked if she was the person we should see about checking in with, she said "well why do you think I'm standing here"? This sort of attitude continued throughout our visit. She warned us that she would be watching us and that we better not steal anything, especially the TV remote!

The condition of the room was terrible! We found spoiled milk and old cheese in the refrigerator and just when we thought things couldnt possibly get any worse, we found a chest freezer in the bedroom filled to the brim with old meat. And by old meat, I mean steaks that had expired over a year and a half ago!

The room had two trundle beds, but in order to get the trundle out you had to move the dresser over by the meat freezer. The closet was filled with old vacuum cleaners and, blankets and pillow stacked up, plastic bags, old lamps and broken fans. In the living room we found two old radiators not attached to anything, an old fireplace insert - and see pictures. And the view? Well it was of the house next door located approx. 6 inches away.

I would NOT recommend the Bove house to anyone! It's a terrible shame that this place has gone under such terrible ownership. The location could be rather lovely. But it is far far from that.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Gooseanddoodle
Arlene S, Owner at Augustus Bove House, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
We have been asked by guests that were present at the time to give our answer to all this. The reservation was for 4 girls, the girls were never told not to steal, I informed them that the small chest freezer was in the small cubby hole in the childs room because we had just picked it up after putting my son in the hospital, and had not figured out where we could keep it.The girls were asked just leave it and please do not bother with it. This was not done. meat had been put in the chest freezer because it goes out of date before you can use it The picture of the window view in the adult bedroom -- distance is 18 to 20 inches but we never advertised an ocean view, the window is there by law(egress in case of fire) It has venetian blinds, shade and curtains. The cottage has a large porch with table for 8 with barbecue (with gas supplied) and some views. the picture of the vacumn cleaner is a question The girls had difficulty with the furniture because that with 4 two could sleep in the queen bed and two could sleep in the twin beds. Since there turn out to be 8 girls or more they had to move the furniture to accommodate more. In addition to the extra girls, extra cars arrived and the girl who wrote this message neglected to say they were unhappy that they were asked to put their cars across the street or on the side of the street to park because all the spaces at the house are for the guests in the house plus one at each cottage nothing extra We found the whole experience with these girls not to be considerate or at all kind
Salt Lake City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

The location was as expected, I am from the area where the hotel is located. I was looking for something close in proximity to my family, and this was adequate. The room was comfortable, although there were several encounters with the innkeeper that were disconcerting.

On several occasions, once, when my brother, whom I had not seen in several years came for a quiet visit late in the evening, my partner and he were greeted with an unwelcome reception by the innkeeper who was concerned about potential car door slamming in the parking lot, headlights being turned on, etc. On another occasion, also later in the evening, I had hoped the restaurant next door would be open, but they had closed ten minutes prior. I got back in my car to go to another town (this is rural Maine, after all) where I knew something would be open. The innkeeper came out of the house in her nightgown, barefoot, to inquire what I was doing. I was perplexed and though I owed her no explanation, informed her I was headed out to get food, and to have a good night. She did not leave. After a period of uncomfortable silence, she said "This isn't the city, you know. Things close." "I know," I said, "that's why I'm headed out." "You think things will be open there, do you?" she said again. "Yes, I'm quite sure, have a good night."

It was an awkward and completely inappropriate encounter, and left a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire experience. I sought to avoid her as much as possible, including not taking advantage of the full breakfast provided. While bed and breakfasts can indeed be a quiet retreat, I learned not to expect the freedoms of a hotel from them.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SLCMidge
Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

Warm friendly, relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are dated but that seems to add to the charm. I had the Blue room with its own balconey, which was great to sit out in the morning watching the world go by.

Breakfast is lovely, plenty to eat, no need to go hungry! With a wide variety to suit all tastes. The restaurant is cluttered with antique cups, saucers etc which I found fascinating. It is also cluttered with some antique vacuum cleaners, which was not so good!

This is Bed and Breakfast only, but that is not a problem with many restaurants in the area serving good food.

Bove house is no 5 star luxury, but does not set itself out to be. It is a good honest place to stay and I enjoyed it.

• Liked — The o
  • Disliked — The whole place could do with a tidy up
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ricgre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naples
0.2 km away
17.4 km away
Wolf Cove Inn
Wolf Cove Inn
#1 of 2 in Poland

Been to Augustus Bove House? Share your experiences!