Pamola Motor Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Millinocket
Reviewed 10 September 2017

I did wonder what I'd done when I arrived. I missed the sign the first 2 times because it is a bit lost amid several other signs (big "thank you" to the random man who looked up directions for me on his phone as mine had no signal). It is opposite the American Legion.

Looked unprepossessing from the outside. I was on the second floor which was accessed by internal stairs. The room was like being in the 1970s but everything was very clean. I happily walked on the carpet with no shoes. There was no overwhelming smell of cleaning chemicals - in fact there was no smell at all! There was a balcony which ran along the length of the building with some chairs so you could sit outside and admire the traffic. There was not enough traffic for it to be noisy.

The bed was comfortable. The shower was great. I didn't get any housekeeping service (I stayed 2 nights) but it wasn't an issue for me.

The breakfast was a choice of cereal, english muffins, bagels, waffles. Not extensive but perfectly adequate. It is supposed to be available from 6.00am but it seemed a bit variable.

The best thing for me was the helpful attitude of the people. Especially the lady who helped me with printing my boarding pass when I had got myself in a bit of a pickle. I am pretty sure it was time for her to go home but she waited until everything was sorted out for me and never tried to rush me in my technological confusion.

Very good for the money.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 September 2017

We stayed 2 nights to attend a funeral of a family member. We chose the Pamola over other budget motels in the area because of price, accepting dogs, and offering a fridge and microwave, even though it was a little farther away. We arrived between 5 and 6pm and the office was closed, we were directed to the bar. The check in was easy and the bartender was pleasant. We were given the wifi info and told about the included breakfast from 6-10am. We used the outside stairs (no elevator that we saw) and they are a little uneven and you get the feeling maybe people shouldn't be allowed to use them. We got into our room and it was very clean, but very dated. The floor in the bathroom was leaning it just felt like the building was not sturdy. We had requested a microwave and fridge, but only had the fridge in the room. I went back to the bar to ask and he said he would get someone to bring up a microwave, if I could give him some time. We were in the room until about 8pm, when we left for about 20 minutes. No microwave that night.

My husband went down at 6 for coffee and breakfast and there was no one to be found. The office was closed, no one in the breakfast room. He went back down 3 times before we gave up and he ran to McDonald's. We left that morning around 10am and the housekeeper was in the room across from ours when we left with our dog. She was on her phone faced away from us. We came back to the room around 4pm after a very emotional day and found that our room had not been touched. No fresh towels, bed was not made and still no microwave. We called down to the office and there wasn't any answer. We just didnt have the energy to pursue it.

The next morning again, my husband went down for coffee at 6am and again the office was closed and no one around for the breakfast. I think he went back around 630-645 and there was breakfast: small bagels, cold cereal, pre-cooked waffles, yogurt and coffee and juice. The woman explained her ride was late so she was late getting the breakfast started.

We just decided to check out and head home. When I turned in the key, I asked to be removed from the email list and said we wouldn't be staying here again, the woman in the office just said "ok" and didn't ask why or anything. So I proceeded to let her know that we weren't happy, never did receive the microwave and our room wasn't cleaned. She took no responsibility, offered no apology. She said the housekeepers had the microwave for us, but thought we left the dog in the room, so they didn't go in. We never left our dog in the room alone and I asked her why they never attempted to reach us -no one left a message, no notes, didn't call my phone, etc. Her response was "yesterday was my day off".

The Good: They are pet friendly, the room initially was clean, there is a bar and Chinese restaurant attached to the motel, although we didn't try either. We didn't notice any excess noise from the bar at night, but the walls are super thin and you can hear everything in the halls. They also have rafting trips on site that you can set up. The rate was reasonable for everything that was included- they didn't charge extra for a micro/fridge and they include a breakfast.

The Bad: they didn't follow through about the microwave, our room wasn't cleaned, had no fresh towels the second day. The breakfast was unreliable and it was hard for my husband to go back and forth up and down stairs to check. One day I can understand something happening. However, both days? The breakfast was very limited and basic. The office is only open until 4pm, then you have to go to the bar for help, but then that person is kind of limited because he couldn't leave the bar. The office is not open 24 hours. There is a common deck outside the rooms upstairs, but my husband actually locked himself out on the deck at 1am and there is no way to get down except through the room. Luckily, I was in the room. Very, very dated. There is no pool and the hot tub isn't in service. All in all, if the extra amenities were actually delivered, it would be a good deal.

We won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2017

We arrived late last night - I'm sorry, I find nothing quaint or charming about this place. It's in terrible condition. The new owners would do themselves a favor by closing down for a week and removing the eons old wall paper (that is cracked and peeling) and giving each room a fresh coat of paint. It lacks the basic amenities that make modern travelers comfortable: coffee maker, desk area/charging station for technology; quiet rooms.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 21 August 2017

PROS: Friendly, helpful owner and staff who are trying; attached restaurant, decent lounge
CONS: Place is in rough shape

Booked thru Agoda at the 11th hour while driving to Maine for two days on Katahdin. For $86 we had 2 double beds for 4 people, can't really beat that. The new owner is aware of the need to remodel and is trying to get his financing together for some major renovations which are sorely needed. Since our next two nights were going to be spent in an AMC bunkhouse and lean-to, we figured how much worse could a motel be? Turns out, quite a bit worse. I was shocked to read the reviews saying how clean the rooms were, ours was not - there was litter behind the dresser and it hadn't been vacuumed or dusted behind in ages. When we opened the curtain there was a massive spider and web that had to be cleared. The window would not open, the wallpaper was coming off in sheets on both sides of the door, the floor was coming up under the bathroom sink, the box springs were gross looking, and as another reviewer said, the rug was waxy with accumulated dirt (so bad I would not go barefoot in the room.) It's possible we got the absolute worst room in the place with such a late booking, but really, this room should not be available until it gets updated in a big way. We were okay with it for a single night because we're pretty hardy folks, but would not go back until a massive renovation is undertaken.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Wow! I got a quiet room in back. Good A/C. Curtains kept it dark -- great! Towels were so fluffy and fresh! Breakfast -- waffles are always a winner. Nice Chinese restaurant next door. Easy check-in. Friendly staff.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millinocket
0.2 km away
35.3 km away
Lincoln House Motel
Lincoln House Motel
#2 of 3 in Lincoln

Been to Pamola Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!