All reviews south twin lake boat ride great hosts the eagle's nest jacuzzi tub baxter state park breakfast was delicious rocking chairs bald eagles lake view provided maps mt katahdin golden road stayed longer incredible views sweet dog natural beauty
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This was our third visit to 5 Lakes Lodge. We keep coming back because we are never disappointed. Debbie and Rick are great hosts - great breakfasts and an encyclopedic knowledge of the wilderness that is at their doorstep. The rooms are upscale and have a view of the Katahdin range that is simply awesome. If you want to enjoy modern amenities and take in some of the wildest terrain east of the Mississippi, this is the place to stay. My son calls the area "Little Alaska". Sit and take in the view, canoe, raft the rapids, hike, look for wildlife, or snowmobile, it is all just outside the door. I couldn't give a higher recommendation.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

PROS
Beautiful place and view
Debbie was a great hostess
Great breakfast
The housekeeping was top notch
Good WiFi
Sweet dog

CONS
Nice outdoor fire pit but virtually no wood to burn
Rick the host and co owner seemed burnt out. He was very condescending and talked down to people. At first I thought it was us but observed the same treatment to others . We talked to two other guest that felt the same way.
He was also not truthful as we caught him in contradiction of statements he made to us . He told you only what he wanted you to know.
If you come here for anything other than hiking you should stay somewhere else.
We were also bothered to hear him call people who made a living at a local mill and lost their jobs as “millbillies” That was in poor taste and character.

BOTTOM LINE
For $200+ a night we expected to be treated nicer. Would have been better without Rick.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Robert P
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My husband and I stayed at 5 Lakes Lodge for three nights in September. I read several reviews before booking our stay. I can echo all things written in previous reviews about this wonderful B and B. I will try to add a few of our personal experiences here as well. Because of some last minute change in our plans, I had not booked a place to stay in advance. However, I called Rick and he gave me all the pertinent information over the phone and welcomed us to come on over, even though they have very short notice of our arrival.

As others have stated, the room was spotless and very comfortable. A comfortable bed is always on top of my list in where I choose to stay and the bed was very comfortable. We had views of the beautiful lake from two different sides of the room and also a view from a different side of the lake from the bathroom. The room had two cozy glider rockers where you could sit and enjoy the views from huge windows.

I cannot say enough about Debbie's cooking. Her food was delicious and and could only be outdone by her genuine and kind spirit. It is very clear that Rick and Debbie
love what they are doing.

Each morning after breakfast, Rick would ask what kind of experience we were hoping to have that day. Then he would pull out maps and give us specific suggestions of what he thought we would enjoy - including which trails to hike and which restaurants to visit. This was a very appreciated piece of the experience for us. I am usually the "planner" on our vacation and often that means, studying maps and making educated guesses on where to go next. Having Rick's expertise was a wonderful way to take the pressure off of decision making. We could just get up and go. And, his advise was spot-on every time. The trails he sent us to were spectacular and exactly what we were looking for. He is able to provide this guidance to anyone regardless of their skill level or trail ability. He has intimate knowledge of everything in the area so you can ask him anything.

I would definitely say that you do not want to miss the opportunity to go out on the boat with Rick, which is offered routinely. This was a very relaxing trip around the lake in their pontoon. The highlight, of course, was when Rick threw fish into the water and we watched as eagles would swoop down and carry them off in their talons. My husband got some great pictures of this.

We wish we could have stayed longer and definitely hope to come back someday. Beautiful!

Reviewed 27 September 2017

The Owners, Rick & Deb, are the nicest people you could ever meet. We told them we felt like we were visiting family, rather than at a B&B. The view of Katahdin and the lake is so beautiful and romantic (sunset is gorgeous). The location of the place couldn't be more beautiful and perfect. The room was extremely clean and very comfortable. Bed was great and loved hearing the lapping of the lake with the windows open. A few loons here and there, which was neat. Rick & Deb even took all the guests on a complementary Eagle "safari" on a party boat. They fed the Eagle's by throwing fish in the lake near an island the eagle lived on. Great time in every way. The two very comfortable and inviting rockers situated in front of the large picture window in our room was great...If there wasn't so much to do (we went hiking too) I could have sat and looked at the view from our room for a long time! This is a special place and Rick and Deb are wonderful people. Deb also makes the best breakfast in the world, she even gives you several choices! Don't miss a chance to visit this place...we only stayed 2 nights, but plan on returning as soon as possible. About 45 mins to an hour to get to Katahadin Stream campground to hike into Chimney Pond. Beautiful hike too!

Room tip: all five rooms have a great view...your choice of extras for a little extra in some of the rooms.
Reviewed 27 September 2017

What a gorgeous place! I was pleasantly surprised how serene and beautiful this place is. It's a little paradise in the middle of nowhere,from the sunrise to the sunset you will see amazing skies. Canoeing kayaking swimming whatever your fancy - we hiked the Golden road and Baxter State Park and could have stayed much longer than the week we spent. The owners are down to earth people and took us out on the lake to see the Bald Eagles - this of course was the highlight of my stay. We did stay in the cottage - but the bed and breakfast rooms in the Lodge looked fantastic (maybe next time).

Room tip: I believe all rooms face the lake - nights are cool in northern Maine
  • Trip type: Travelled with family