All reviews bunk room appalachian trail ole hikers refrigerator
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This lodge at first appeared to be a hostel, and it does have bunk rooms, but it has more than that! We were able to stay in the family apartment which met our needs perfectly. We would have stayed longer if it had been available. The owners and staff made us feel like family. We ate breakfast at the cafe they own and it was wonderful, too. It's a jewel in a little town that itself is charming.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SandAngel13_12
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I would give this lodge a 10-star rating if I could. The location is great. The rooms are comfortable and clean. And the service provided by the staff is far above anything we have experienced before.

If you are hiking the AT - this lodge is a MUST STOP. For the NOBO hiker, the hostel-like setup of the upper and back floors will be the ultimate way to end your AT experience. For the SOBO hiker, the AT Lodge is the absolute perfect way to prepare for your hike. And even if you aren't in Millinocket for the AT, we felt this was still the best and friendliest (and most cost-effective) place to stay in the entire region. And even if you don't want a "hostel" experience, the private rooms at the front of the house are

But the shining star of this lodge is, without a doubt, the staff. Tie, Alex, Jaimie, and Ole Man are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. My wife, my son, and I were all traveling to Baxter State Park to see my son off for the beginning of his SOBO AT hike, but we experienced some serious delays and flight cancelations with our airline. The folks at the AT Lodge were so comforting and caring, and more than willing to work with us as our arrival and departure dates had to shift to accommodate the changing flight schedules. They even went out of their way to help get our lost luggage to the lodge for us when we were unable to pick it up ourselves. And when my wife's bag remained missing for a couple of days, Jaimie even loaned us her own personal hiking boots so that we could still share some of the AT experience with our son. And Alex and Ole Man sat down with all of us for long stretches of time to share some of their experiences, and their very appropriate and helpful expert advice, on getting the most out of the AT.

The owners and staff of the lodge are there simply because they love the trail, they love the region, and they love people - and it shows. Our experience, and our son's kick-off for his AT hike, would not have been nearly as enjoyable if it weren't for our decision to start it all at the Appalacian Trail Lodge. An absolute "MUST STAY".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tes630
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have stayed in several hiker hostels along the AT but this one is a step above. We would recommend folks looking for a hotel room consider the AT Lodge first. Best place to stay in the area!! We had the family suite for the night and it was the best sleep we had had in a long time. Very clean and quiet and friendliest folks in town!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank FordFoodie
Reviewed 10 July 2013

When we checked in - the staff was the friendliest staff I have ever met anywhere ever! Seriously! We knew we were in the right place! The lodge is a network of rooms that are mostly bunkroom - just like a hostel. There are 2-4 beds per room. The place is EXTREMELY clean - all the time and everywhere. Expect mismatched bedding, very soft sheets and towels that smell so good (what was that - fabric softener??). There are kitchen facilities and sodas for sale in the fridge on the honor system for 50 cents. There are also private rooms. No A/C and no locks on the doors - as I said - it's a lot like a hostel. We enjoyed hanging out with the other hikers. There are books, puzzles and games around to borrow. There is a gear shop in the lodge that sells camping gear, snacks and maps. The staff has lots of good info and suggestions. Definitely recommend if you are open to a hostel experience.

Room Tip: We were in private room 6 - loved it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oceanblue1
Reviewed 20 July 2012

In June we were in the Area to take on Katahdin for my Father in Laws B-day, "AT Paul" was the person who took us to the trail head at Baxter State Park. We did not stay at the Lodge we camped at the Park, but w did use the Bathrooms and Showers after getting off the mountain! AT PAUL was so DAM FRIENDLY and Accomodating!!! My Family couldnt say enogh about how helpful he was, even letting me borrow a Sleeping Bag, because I left mine at home do to the excitment of geting on the road for the trip. AT PAUL is a Great PErson who make you feel like your FAMILY and not to mention a Decorated MARINE..HOOORAAHHH!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family