All reviews pool and hot tub parking lot baxter state park huge lobby nice pool these folks lobby area would stay here again hot breakfast street noise small town coffee and tea quiet room worked fine convenient location motel trail
Reviewed 8 October 2018

We stayed at the Katahdin Inn with 5 teenagers to go hiking. The hotel is very basic, a little run down, but the beds were clean and it served its purpose of having a shower and bed after our strenuous hike. The kids (ages 13-16) loved having access to the pool , although they did complain a bit about the amount of chlorine. It was great to have a cup of coffee before our hike and we enjoyed a bit of a bigger breakfast the second morning, while the kids eased their muscles in the pool and hot tub. The location was convenient: close enough to Baxter Park and within walking distance of the House of Pizza, where we replenished after an 11 hour hike! Although the Katahdin Inn isn't by any means fancy or spectacular, it served its purpose just fine. (The room rate was a little high for what you get, but I guess it makes somewhat sense due to lack of competition)

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend having rooms that look out or have direct access to the pool due to noise and chlorinated smell.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2018

We stayed here as last minute decision, other places in area was booked. I choose to stay here because location - it was close to town and walking distance to stores and places to eat and gas. To get to the hotel the parking lot was a bit bumpy and the hotel is a little back off the highway. Hotel front is little hard to recognize but the signs made it clear. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean although hallways did so age. There was washers and dryers available to use. Our room could have used little more lighting and room curtains did completely block sunlight. We could hear walking in the room above us. The room has microwave, nice size refrigerator, TV good amount of room for suitcase and storage. Toiletries were minimal. However the pool tables, swimming pool and hot tub are good amenities to have (all indoors) and while we were there was not crowded.

Room Tip: Some rooms have sliding doors that open up to pool.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Ever wonder why they don't show a picture of the front of their hotel? Well, I'm here to tell you why. It's a dump. A rundown brick building in the back of a drug store. We had a hard time finding it! Our car went over potholes as whiplash overtook us and we all shook as the car crawled over them.

Then we parked. After recovering from my whiplash, I saw the building before me, I gasped. This is it? Can't be. No wonder they market the inside only so heavily. We walked in. Looked like lobby needed a vacuum. Maybe a dusting. Maybe a class on how to banish smells.

Here's my list of what I didn't like.

1. Window had a long crack going across it and covered with clear duct tape! I kid you not! And I heard other rooms had this problem too. A car backfired...and I threw down my two year old. *let out a sigh of relief* not a gang shooting. Good thing, too, or they'd need more duct tape for their windows.
2. Hot tub is not hotel quality. There are no stairs to get in. You have to climb down and try not to slip like me. It's a little 4 person hot tub that doesn't even get that hot. It's like one of those hot tubs you buy really cheap second hand.
3. Pool edging coming off.
4. Breakfast has NO choice. It's laughable. Waffles are this greasy mix (say what?) and are disgusting. Trust me, I travel a lot. I love waffles, but not here. There are no other choices except for stale bread, yogurt, some fruit. No bagels or cream cheese. We headed over to McDonald's next door. I suggest to eat there. Unless you like stale bread. There is also Subway and Dunkin Donuts.
5. Housekeeping didn't change sheets. Saw same stain I didn't create. Can somebody say, nasty?
6. Owner is nice, but can be rude. Witnessed this with other people there. Stay on his good side and you'll be all right. He said he knows everything in his hotel and always watches you. But since they don't have security of any kind, it's kind of nice to know you have your own personal stalker, complete with cameras he studies every second. No, this is good. I felt safer.
7. Everybody FREEZE! Okay, we braved the numbing pool. Because your teeth will chatter! Seals and sea otters have coats with two layers of dense fur. They have a thick undercoat and a covering layer of longer guard hairs. Maybe if I was one of these I could survive. The ice cold pool (Feels like you're in Alaska or taking the polar bear plunge) is right in front of the lobby desk. Weird. So new people come to check in and stare at you. And you feel like you're being watched by people at hotel desk.
8. The place is run down. Don't be fooled by pics.
9. The air conditioner rattled and had a harsh humming sound. Was a UFO outside my window? No, just woke up from a dream from the loud humming sound. Had to put in earplugs from store next door.
10. Bathroom light flickered on and off. Scared me when it turned out completely. I'm thinking I'm seeing a little girl in a white dress with her hair blocking her face holding a candle in the dark. Okay, bad horror movie joke. Did you see that movie?
11. Waited for the elevator for thirty minutes for disabled person with us. Finally learned it was broken. Owner fixed it. Man, what if I was on it????
12. Did I mention the elevator creaks like a bad horror movie? *cue in creepy music* Clanking, grinding, squeaking and other weird sounds as the elevators moved. Yeah. I feared for my life every time I rode it. From above I can hear the gears almost grinding as the cable pulls it back. Please don't stop at the 13th floor! Okay, bad horror movie joke.

All in all, it's cheap. And you get what you pay for. It works and gets the job done. There are no bugs or rodents, and that's a good thing. Just don't expect luxury. It is very close to Baxter Park and the mountain. This is definitely a plus!!!! Just use it for sleeping. Don't use the pool or hot tub or eat breakfast there. Take the stairs. Ask for sheets. It's totally doable! And cheap!

And get a room on the ground floor to avoid the elevator. (that could possibly descend deep into the pits of hell)

May the odds be ever in your favor.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We drove quite a ways for an affordable place to stay and this was a good one. We paid around $80 for a room with 2 double beds which is reasonable. It has a continental breakfast, pool, jacuzzi and a couple of pool tables. I believe a lot of hikers stay here as I saw quite a few when we came in. The people that checked us in were nice and personable and the room is clean. It’s about 15-20 miles to Mt. Katahdin. There is a McDonalds right in front of it if you are looking for something quick to eat. I think the parking is adequate and it’s worth the money. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Good value for the price. Parking lot and lobby a bit old, but rooms were clean and comfy.
We had noisy upstairs neighbors but the front desk took care of the situation. And when we decided to stay an additional night they gave us a third floor room to assure a quiet night's sleep.
The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was adequate and free!
Near to the park and restaurants.

Room Tip: Try to get a third floor room. We had noisy upstairs neighbors....floors not noise proof.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple