See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times when it was previously owned and enjoyed it.The new owners are very conscientious and friendly. The rooms are clean and quiet. I've been traveling across country from Texas and I find this motel as comfortable as any in which I've stayed. I was here for 4 days in August. Would absolutely stay again and recommend to anyone especially if on a tight budget. A side note the new name is now Rivers Edge Motel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank karanann
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The motel has just changed hands (family owned and operated) and the new owners are trying hard to offer a clean/affordable place despite the fact that the motel is older. I vowed I would NEVER stay in a motel but due to a funeral we had no choice - we were pleasantly surprised! The new owners have scrubbed from top to bottom (I am a Marriott girl and I was impressed!) and even removed some carpet due to past smokers! We had a family of 5 squeezed into a room with 2 doubles (+ cot) and we fit comfortably for one night (probably would be tight after 2 or 3). Just knowing it was clean helped (even the old grout in the bath was white!). The bedspreads and beds are older but the sheets and towels (thick!) are new and have that "just bleached" smell that is reassuring in a motel! We were really surprised at how quiet the room was too! Not sure how it would be in the summer but if you are just passing through and need an affordable/clean place (good food in the pizza joint attached to the owner's house) to stay this is it! Keep your eyes out for the bald eagles - tons by the river down back! My husband had to do some work and had no problem with the free WiFi (he is a software engineer and needs fast internet). Snowmobile trail behind the motel too! I also have allergies and didn't have a problem after we aired it out for a couple of minutes to get the "closed up" smell out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LakeClan
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Simple motel, very comfortable, had no problems. Everything worked and was clean. You do have to drive several miles down the road to find a place to eat, as the motel is kinda out by itself. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julious
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed staying here very much. This has got to be one of the best motels that I have stayed in.
It was quiet and peaceful and very clean. It had everything I needed and was very convienent.
The fishing on the river was great, lots of bass.
I am looking foward to returning someday.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank weeman51
Reviewed 19 July 2008

The Katahdin Shadows Motel is a mom and pop motel located about a mile off of Highway 95 about halfway between Bangor and the Canadian border. From the name and the website, you get the impression that it's scenic and remote, but It's actually your basic roadside motel with some nice amenities. Some of the rooms have mini-refrigerators and all have air-conditioners. There is a communal kitchen/dining area, an indoor hot tub, a beautiful outdoor pool. There is a wharf in the river, but the bugs were ferocious, and we didn't have a boat, so I stayed clear of the riverfront.

The proprietors were very helpful and friendly. They didn't mind that I checked in after 11 PM or that my son swam in the pool late at night. Although in the local tourist guide they are listed as not accepting pets, they allowed my mother to bring her two chihuahuas for a $5 fee total.

All this for less than $60 per room per night including tax. I couldn't have been more pleased.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family