“Incredible!”

Ranked #11 of 26 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Bay City, Michigan
“Incredible!”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I travel often, but this was our first trip to Maine. We will definitely go back and definitely stay at Cape Arundel Inn!
The hotel is very beautiful and very clean! The staff at the hotel and the restaurant were all so accommodating, the friendliest I have seen.

We arrived on 4-19-11 stayed for 3 nights...had dinner there all 3 nights and the food was fantastic! We ate of the mid week menu and the main menu, everything was great. We are looking forward to going back!

Room Tip: The view of Room #3 was my favorite
1 Thank ReneeVan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My wife and I went to Maine for her 40th birthday,having never been there before I relied on the internet to find somewhere to stay.Our experience at the Cape Arundel Inn was absolutely perfect,we stayed mid-week and the menu selections were absolutely awesome ! The night we got there we arrived about 8:45 pm and had not eaten dinner yet,the dining room stayed open for us and served a great meal the food was so good that I ate 2 entrees, and the service was second to none,there was nothing about our stay that wasn't complete.We have stayed at many places around the country and our service,food quality,and treatment has never been better,I would recommend this place to anyone.Thanks to Cynthia,Mark,Julie,C.J. and the rest of the staff for creating such a relaxing and inviting environment,we would go there next week if we could

Room Tip: Rooms number 2,3,and 4 would be my recommendationd
2 Thank VanBayCity_Michigan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I love Maine. I grew up there and whenever I get to travel back, the wonderful coast and unique nature of my home state make it an amazing trip. We looked for a place because the Yachtsmen wasn’t open for the week we were there and ended up settling on room 26 at the Cape Arundel Inn. The room was fantastic. The bed was comfortable, and the room had spectacular views of the water. The breakfast was served to us, at least the hot portion was, and the rest we were at liberty to get on our own, which suited me. The woman who attended us in the dining room, whose name I regrettably cannot remember, was kind and courteous. She was very nice and it was a joy to be served by her.
The front desk was another matter though. I called to inform them that I was going to be in late because we were driving in from Virginia and had hit traffic, the lady was nice arranged to leave the room open with the key inside which worked well because there office would close before my arrival. Upon our arrival though, it was cold and windy and we found ourselves locked out, not knowing that even though it was 45 min past closing time, the front desk had stayed late. It was minor, but still an annoyance.
However, what really got me was the 200 authorization the put on my credit card before telling me what it was. It was money that I planned on spending while I was there, just not with them. They stated it was “in case you decide to dine with us in our dining room". This honestly, was presumptuous and rude. How dare you reserve 200.00 of my money, not tell me what it’s for until afterwards and act like you’re doing me a favor by letting me use it at your hotel. This alone is what will stop me from ever staying here again. Because of this I had to cancel several gift purchases and while I made them later on it was still an inconvenience and totally uncalled for. I will never stay here again. I work for my money and I will not have it taken from me in some scammy practice that is supposedly for my convenience.........

5 Thank Kevin T
hthorg, Public Relations Manager at Cape Arundel Inn & Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear Evandkev,

We are delighted that you made the choice to come to Cape Arundel Inn and that you found the accommodations comfortable, the view fabulous and your breakfast a positive experience. In regard to the credit card authorization, we have recently upgraded our credit card technology and this authorization was an automatic feature that per our vendor most hotels use. This feature does a pre-authorization for incidentals as you will find in most hotels today. We understand that the balance on your account after the deposit was charged to this authorization and that left $80 for incidentals such as room service, merchandise or dinner. If the guest purchases merchandise or dines with us the charge is added to the room and at check out the balance is settled.

While this has not been a issue with any other guest to our knowledge we have contacted our credit card processing agent to find out how we can opt out of this practice. We do appreciate that you have brought this to our attention so we were able to improve this process as our goal is to delight every guest. We apologize for any inconvenience from this credit card processing practice and we hope you will accept our apology and come back to enjoy our beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean and award wining cuisine.

Cape Arundel Inn
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We own a home in Kennebunkport and have been dining at the Inn for years. The new owners have only made a great place better. Two "must haves" whenever I go are the fabulous grilled Romaine salad with blueberry dressing and the made-in-house sourdough bread. The new mid-week special pricing provided us with a great, moderately priced dinner when we arrived in town this week - pork tenderloin for my husband and lovely pan crispy fried flounder for me. We will be back again tomorrow for Easter Dinner with friends and take in the most beautiful view in all of Maine as we enjoy our holiday dinner.

1 Thank MaineSnookums
North Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Tried the mid week special menu...a less expensive alternative to their regular menu. Very disappointing. Not only was the food less than average, but the presentation and the plating were sloppy and stuck in the past!
There was no bread basket, but rather slices of sandwich bread and a pat of butter for each guest. I have not seen sandwich slices served in a restaurant since 1980! The salad was romaine, with pieces so large, one needed a knife...unacceptable! and topped with soggy stringy asparagus...UGH!
I had a main course of meatballs and spaghetti...Yes, I know probably not the right thing to order in Maine...but the menu mentioned their North End Boston inspiration! Well, the Chef had not heard of al dente, and the pasta was oversauced watery, and almost no flavor!! The meatballs were not sauced and they were dry, dense and a slight flavor...so disappointing.
What surprised me was the lack of any real finesse in the plating....no "nesting" of pasta no parm cheese, no herbs, and two giant meatballs stuck on top! Perhaps the cheaper meal is their Diner meal!! This more reasonable dinner did not encourage one to spend more money on the regular menu!!
Nice view, somewhat good service, but do not bother with the food! Just have a glass of wine and head to a decent restaurant!

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Dear HungryGirl038,

It is our goal that every guest is delighted with their experience at the Cape Arundel Inn. We are sorry you were so displeased with your midweek dinner and wish you would have allowed us to replace your meal to provide you with complete satisfaction. With that said I would like tom comment on a few of your direct comments.

You stated the our bread service was old-fashioned and the we served " sandwich bread " that was not to your liking. Yes it is old fashioned in the sense that we make every sour dough loaf by hand in our kitchen and serve a hardy slice with real butter. Additional bread is also provided if the guest would like another piece. Just a few days after your review and couple from San Francisco were in for dinning and they stated it was the best they have had since they left San Francisco.

You also stated that you didn't enjoy our ‘north end’ meatballs as they are also made by hand with careful attention to the seasonings. This is also a dish that we have received many rave review from guest. As for the presentation comments, We don't add shaved cheese on top of our pasta because we do not assume all guests want it, which is why we offered you freshly shaved cheese as a topping. As for the pasta itself when you returned the dish to kitchen we examined the pasta and we did not find the pasta to be overcooked.

Again we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your dinning experience. We would have liked to replace your meal with another dish that you would have enjoyed as was offered by our staff. We appreciate your comments and while we disagree with many of them based on our customers comments we respect your opinion. We invite you back to enjoy the breathtaking views and give our award wining Chef Lamoine another try........we don't think you will be disappointed.

Cape Arundel Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
2.3 km away
2.3 km away
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
#8 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Cape Arundel Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!