“Refreshing & Rejuvenating”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Island Falls
Sewall House Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Island Falls B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 July 2017

After teaching all year, I needed a real break from everyone and everything. I was looking for a place with a flexible stay time, yoga, meditation, and nature. Sewell House met all these criteria and more. My five nights flew by, and I only wish I could have stayed longer.

I felt right at home from the moment I arrived, both because the house is a gorgeous old homestead that I absolutely fell in love with, and because Donna and her wonderful staff (Joel, Ajeet, Nadja) are so welcoming. At one point, I was the only guest, with four staff - talk about personalized service. ;). All of them brought a unique and valuable wisdom to every conversation. I gained much clarity (which I was looking for) from talking and practicing with these wonderful people over the 4 days.

I especially loved the Hatha yoga in the mornings. I highly recommend getting up for this class at the reasonable hour of 8:00 (amazing coffee served beforehand - worth rising early for as well!). I am not a yoga practitioner, but always felt welcome and at ease, and used lots of props to help with my bad back. Donna taught me the sun and moon salutations and let me video them so I could start my own practice. I’ve been doing them faithfully for a week and already feel a difference in my body. My attitude during practice is a practice for life. I’m so grateful for this instruction.

I was traveling alone with no car, but the staff took me on several wonderful nature outings - kayaking, hiking, waterfall - while I was there. So refreshing!! The town is rural and charming - lots of trees and a lovely little river running through. A sweet Amish lady came to the door selling her potholders and aprons and vegetables. I loved that. I am slightly allergic to cats, but never had a problem with the 4 cats that live there, probably because they keep the house so clean and perhaps also because the cats spend a lot of time outside. The blind cat was amazing. I also bought products in their mini store - my favorites being my new yoga mat, elephant pants, and cookbook!

I recommend this lovely nature/yoga/meditation retreat if you are looking for excellent instruction, small class sizes, lots of fresh air, delicious homemade vegetarian food (Nadja!), and good company! (oh! And don't forget the awesome jacuzzi and sauna!) :) :) :)

Room Tip: I liked the four-poster room. It's at the top of the stairs and slightly off the road.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Thank you so much for this amazing detailed review! We are so glad you are incorporating what you learned - we had so much fun showing you the area and appreciated your embracing open attitude! Keep up that wonderful yoga practice!
We hope to see you again!
It is spelled sewALl but I know- confusing!

Reviewed 29 June 2017

I came to study the Terrain of Theodore Roosevelt (TR) and left with a whole new set of friends. I can see why TR felt so indebted to Maine. Donna Davidge and the entire team define hospitality. They are exceptional, genuine and knowledgeable. They have decades of yoga expertise and a day with them is a day worth spending. My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer. I do a lot of yoga as well and can see their dedication and commitment to expanding opportunities for others. Whether it is yoga, studying Theodore Roosevelt, spending time on the water or just hanging out in Island Falls and the surrounding area, you will not be disappointed. I highly recommend spending time at the Sewall House. Namaste!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

These were such fantastic guests and we are glad they had such a good time with us as we did with them! Discussing Yoga- Teddy Roosevelt- the great outdoors and love of nature! and challenges! Thank you SO much for finding Sewall House- and doing strong poses with us in front of your sign:) fun spontaneous moments shared!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

I had the honor of a being at Sewall House as a retreat guest for a day, then stayed for Donna's 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program for 21 days. Sewall House has an amazing vibe, great energy and lots of love! It was wonderful getting to know people as they came and went and hear about the different stages of their lives. The meals were unbelievable (OMG! Nadja's key lime pie!!) and the meal conversations often very deep and thought provoking. Donna's yoga teaching style is unsurpassed as is her experience! In 3 weeks, she taught whatever yoga we asked of her (at least 6 different styles), and also managed to customize her classes for each student. As a teacher trainer, having access to that kind of diversified knowledge is simply unheard of! If you're looking for a small teacher training in an intimate setting - look no further! (Yes, it's intense. Yes, it's worth it!) If you're looking for a place to go to step away from your norm to experience, heal, relax, reflect and improve - look no further! Sewall House will always have a special place in my heart, and I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderfully kind review- we are so grateful to you for your words and taking the time to write this- we hope you visit again soon- with love, sewall house staff

Reviewed 1 June 2017

Years ago, Donna taught me kundalini yoga at a gym in Manhattan. Because of her, I discovered a love of yoga and expanded my practice. I finally made it to Donna's beautiful Sewell House and loved getting to take Donna's kundalini classes again and her other yoga and meditation classes while on retreat! Donna made such an amazing effort to cater to her students' needs, and my practice grew in just a week. I did my first headstand thanks to Donna! Meanwhile, Nadja cooked the most delicious foods and took into consideration my many food allergies. Sewall House is set in a tranquil town, and each room has its own unique charm; all are impeccably clean and comfortable. Going forward, trips to Sewall House will have to occur every summer for me. I came home refreshed and relaxed. Thank you, Donna!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2017

We thank you so much for finding us in Maine and not just in NYC:) and that your food and yoga needs were met with us! We also want to note that though this guest met us through Kundalini Yoga we do offer many forms- fitted to your needs- of yoga and meditation- and that she got her first headstand against the wall! With gratitude and laughter-

Reviewed 28 May 2017

I met Donna two years ago when she taught another retreat at an outdoor sports center and quickly realized she had a unique gift as a teacher and healer. So I followed her to Sewall House last year for my first visit there after I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder caused by stress. My visit was an amazing experience of yoga, meditation, massage, and lots of hiking on the trails close to Island Falls. When I had a check up with my Naturopath after my visit, she prescribed a minimum of two visits to Sewall House every year! And I intend to follow her advice as I quickly realized the healing and relaxation offered at Sewall House is truly unique
So this year I returned (I must admit I was eagerly awaiting their opening date in May during the winter months).
Once again I experienced a most welcoming atmosphere and met other guests from different areas of the country and different backgrounds and goals who enjoyed conversation around the table while enjoying Nadja's delicious food. In her yoga class, Donna was able to focus on each of our goals and needs and welcomed questions, offered guidance and made it so much fun we didn't want the classes to end.
We also had time to explore the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument with Donna and found several beautiful waterfalls. We hiked up Sugarloaf Mountain nearby and saw the snow still on Katahdin. Thank you Donna and Nadja and see you very soon!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Thank you so much for writing this wonderful review! We look forward to more hiking, yoga, meals and friendship with you!

Been to Sewall House Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!