“Excellent food and Service”
Review of Slate's

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2018

My Wife and another couple had dinner at Slates, we showed up a bit early for the dinner menu. They sat us right away, brought us a delicious fruit drinks and some apps. When we ordered our dinner it came out fairly quickly and boy was it worth the wait! I got a Tuscan Seafood stew that was AWESOME! Packed with lobster, scallops and fish. The broth was so good I needed extra bread so I didn't miss a drop. I would recommend Slates to anyone visiting the Augusta area.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Good reasonably priced food and nice staff. Seating Mostly set up for adults. Has a bar and indoor seating with smallish bistro type tables. Interesting vibes and menu items. Nothing children would care for except the delightful local art displayed on the walls and the Homemade delious deserts. The art pieces are actually for sale. Ample seating for couples and groups upstairs and downstairs. Parking is around the rear of the establishment due road repairs in the area on restaurant row. This is really a unique place. Slate’s also has a little bakery in the same area attached to the side of the restaurant that has wonderful baked goods and serves breakfast items daily. You have try this place at least once. But leave the kids at home.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We went to Slate's for dinner at 6:00 PM on Saturday.
We both had the same meal, baked stuffed haddock with mashed potatoes & glazed carrots. The food was very good, I'd put the haddock in the "way better than average" category in a state where seafood is very available & haddock is popular.
I did buy a dessert to take home for later. Slate's has its own bakery right next door & they make a lot of really good stuff there. It's worth a visit even if you don't go to the restaurant.
Service by Danielle was outstanding. We also had background music provided by a female singer with her keyboards.
I would call the décor at Slate's eclectic & have heard it called funky. It certainly is interesting.
Our main thoroughfare, Water Street which is also US Route 201, is undergoing a long, long overdue massive reconstruction. In spite of that getting around the downtown is not difficult at all & there is parking available. The contractor has done a wonderful job of keeping travel relatively easy.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

We had avoided the old location due to the high level of noise, despite its generally good food. The new location is somewhat better for noise upstairs--insist on seating there when making a reservation--while the first floor remains noisy with patrons and live music that really isn't necessary.

The food was generally good, and a pleasant change from the pub food in this area, but attention to detail is a must. Service was adequate and pleasant. One of the bus staff has a booming voice that is deafening, and when asked to lower the volume, he said that "this is just the way I speak."

Slates strives to be a bistro with a broad menu with locally sourced food. Our plates were generally good, but all lacked attention to the detail of plating. My steak au poivre was prepared perfectly and was tender, however, it was drowned in a good sauce that flooded the vegetable dishes; ¼ of the sauce would have been sufficient. The vegetables nonetheless were nicely prepared. A stuffed fish dish was served with stuffing cold and mushy, and suffered from similar problems of details. A dinner burrito was just OK. The desert was super rich double chocolate that we shared and thoroughly enjoyed.

One could say, "This is Central Maine where everything is relaxed," including food preparation and presentation. Could but shouldn't. Slates could be a far better dining experience with attention to detail, beginning the kitchen. Strong in its favour is dining where the meals are "real" meals with a main and sides, as well as first course and deserts, instead of annoying trendy small plates.

We will try again.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We had dinner at this funky little bistro and, while everyone was very nice, our experience was mixed. My husband wanted a draft beer, so the waitress told him X, Y, and Z were available. He said he'd try an X. Two minutes later she was back, saying they did not have X, but they did have W. Okay, no problem. We then ordered dinner. The waitress came back several minutes later and asked my husband if he wanted the sauce on his entree or on the side. On the side, he said. When dinner arrived, the sauce was all over the top. My entree, a plate of pasta, had curious hot spots mixed in with the otherwise overall lukewarm temperature of the whole plate.
The atmosphere is quirky and fun, the staff are very nice, but the kitchen needs some tighter quality control. The total bill for two entrees and one beer was over $50.

Been to Slate's? Share your experiences!