“Claim Chowder”

Ranked #4 of 62 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Azure, in Freeport’s historic North End & two doors from LL Bean, is a taste of Italy on the Coast of Maine. Visit the Freeport restaurant that has won Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence for ten consecutive years, was featured as “Editor’s Choice” for Yankee Magazine and won the Maine Lobster Chef of the Year competition. In the summer, dine on Azure’s garden patio under canvas umbrellas. Inside, Azure prepares authentic Italian and Maine dishes with fresh, local ingredients. Local favorite and proud community supporter. Dinner reservations are encouraged.
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We had reservations at 7pm arrived at 6:50pm and were seated right away. The Chowder was out of this world, hands down the best I have had in years.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Disappointed with the clam chowder. Not the usual standard for this restaurant.

1  Thank Omi63
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have enjoyed eating at Azure Cafe every time I have visited! We have visited many of the restaurants in town and Azure has the finest staff, best prepared food and fairest price of any place in Freeport. The menu offers a wonderful cross section of very fresh seafood, perfectly prepared meats, and fresh vegetables and pastas. It is expertly prepared italian cuisine. Wait until you see there wine list! We love good italian wines and they seem to find all sorts of new bottles at very fair prices. We highly recomend you give them the opportunity to please you as well.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our service at Azure wa good and we all enjoyed our meals. It was a little cold so I recommend bringing a sweater with you.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stopped in with my daughter for lunch to use the $25 gift certificate we were given after our previous (Sept 2011) visit. At that time, we ended up leaving with our dinners packed to go after waiting close to two hours for our food.

Thia time was much better - service was very quick, even more impressive considering we were seated upstairs and our server got quite a workout with all those trips up and down. Everything was tasty, though portions are a bit small for the price.

I think Azure's problem is that it doesn't have a great deal of competition in the Freeport area. Upscale/"fine dining" options are pretty limited here. If you have the time, I'd heading down to Portland - there are at least a dozen other restaurants in Azure's "class" that I would recommend that have better food/service/value. If you have to eat in Freeport, the Broad Arrow tavern, Corsican and Conundrum are all better bets.

Been to Azure Cafe? Share your experiences!