“Excellent food, good prices”
Review of Chen Family Garden

Chen Family Garden
Ranked #11 of 29 Restaurants in Calais
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 2 August 2018

Every year we come to Calais for shopping and dinner out at Chen Family Garden. The food and portions are excellent and the kids are cute. We love this place and find it a superior place to eat if you enjoy really good Chinese food prepared to order.

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

We have eaten here a few times when visiting the area. The restaurant itself is small and very dated but the service is quick and friendly and we enjoyed everything that we tried (mostly selections from the combo menu). We shared everything and there was lots of leftovers so you won’t go home hungry!

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We politely asked if we might have the egg rolls that come with our order placed in a separate container or bag so that they might not spend the hour it takes to get them home bathing in the grease from the other menu items. No. The response was no - we will not do that. We left.

We will not patronize a business that is not interested in responding to their customers simple requests. This is not the first time we have had this happen here, but t will be the last.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

Whilst my first review was laudatory, I cannot say the same for two return visits. This restaurant has become utterly impossible. On one occasion, I accompanied my brother. Shortly after ordering, our water was brought. My brother's glass was plainly dirty. We informed the small child who was waiting table. She ran and got her mother. The mother came out and commenced to argue with us that the glass was NOT dirty! In two seconds she could have changed the glass and that would have ended the matter. As it was, we got up and left the restaurant, rather than be argued with over a judgment call. I swore never to return.

However, this evening, against my better judgment, I came on once again with relatives. We were about to dig into our meal, but the children were watching a loud telly in the dining area. My brother-in law asked politely if it could be turned off. It was turned off for about 5 minutes. We asked again, and the same thing happened. And a third time. Finally, I asked, and was refused. I walked over to the television and pulled the plug. The whole family who runs the place came out to the telly and replugged it and turned it on again. They must really not want any customers! Nothing will induce me to put up with their rudeness again. Have they never heard that the customer is always right?

Reviewed 10 December 2016

I live in nearby New Brunswick, and have tried most of the Chinese restaurants in the area, as well as many in other countries (even Iceland!) This one can compete with any of them for value, service, quality of the food, portion size and overall ambiance. I don't object to the decor - i don't go there to eat that. I found the place clean and I enjoyed my window view of a gently falling snow in Calais. The children were charming and helpful. Chinese children wait table in many family restaurants. They are learning a great deal on the job, and it keeps prices down.