All reviews pool and hot tub one night front desk staff complimentary breakfast nice hotel quiet stay a great stay yogurt visiting the area off the highway room was spotless acadia national park fitness center bowdoin college convenient location pull out couch stayed nights
Reviewed 28 September 2018

Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice hotel. Service, and amenities are amazing! But this place is lacking in the sense that it is not very modern. The common areas and most of the room are fine, but the bathroom is pretty dated. It's nothing unacceptable, but should still be renovated. Rooms were clean and comfortable (what more do you need?). The free breakfast was one of the best I had ever had in a hotel. Although, they could refill the breakfast dishes a little quicker. The hotel for sure needs to hire more staff at night. While we were there we noticed the one nice lady working the desk seemed to need help (the hotel being almost full). The pool was very nice, and fitness center looked adequate. One quick side note, They should really look into their elevator, it sounded horrible! If you are a Marriott fan you cannot go wrong here!

Room tip: Request a room away from the elevator, it's REALLY noisy.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ELEVrjATOR
Reviewed 22 September 2018

We head up to Maine about once a year, and have now stayed several years at this hotel. We were just there for 6 nights in September had experienced another fine stay. The staff are always Great! The breakfast always hot and well-prepared. Our rooms have been comfortable, clean, and the Housekeeping staff do a fine job.
Will stay here again next time we up this way.

Room tip: Become a Frequent Marriott Traveler.
Reviewed 13 September 2018

We stayed here one night, to shop in Freeport. It’s such a nice place! The staff is very kind and courteous. Our King room is nicely decorated, bed is comfortable, and the drapes extend to the ceiling, blocking out all outdoor light. The air conditioning unit was noisy, and we couldn’t figure out how to shut it off, so we programmed it to be on 10 minutes/off 20, which wasn’t as bad. Access to a computer in the Business Center is a plus if you need to print boarding passes. There is a large variety of food for breakfast. The downside to breakfast is that it ends at 9:00—really?? Some vacationers sleep until that time! Overall, we will stay here again.

Room tip: Top floor is the quietest.
1  Thank DeeDee164
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Having been a fan of this little modest hotel since it opened I am always happy to stay when I visit Bowdoin or the surrounding area.
This time our visit was an horrendous and overpriced nightmare.
We booked two rooms for three nights but we were unable to arrive in time for the first night - someone was ill. The GM was nice enough to waive the charge; we told him we'd be arriving mid day the next day..
I had a dozen conversations before I arrived with some pretty hostile staff member who acted as if finding two rooms on the second floor (top) floor on the same side of the building was some great feat requiring tremendous effort and planning. It was clear she simply didn't want us to have what we wanted: two rooms on the second floor that weren't at opposite sides of the hall. The corridor is enormous. We didn't ask for connecting or next door to each other.
When we arrived it was partically check in time and I was feeling awful. They would not let us check into our rooms. "our" rooms were not ready but plenty of other rooms that fit the bill were ready. But we were being forced to wait for two specific rooms. I didn't care if we had king rooms or double/double rooms or the more expensive extended rooms. No! Too bad! The only way I could get immediate access to a room was to pay for a full night for a room at 1:50 - a mere one hour and ten minutes before check in. This became my only option! And we were told "our" rooms would not be ready by 3:00 in any event. So if a room was in fact, cleaned and ready, why did the GM charge me an almost $300 instead of simply letting me check into this clean and ready room?
On to the rooms. The room which was ready that I had to pay for a full night for 80 minutes was clean and comfortable.
When we finally got "our" rooms we were repulsed by the strong smell of urine in one bathroom and both rooms smelled musty and sour as if the shower curtains were moldy or the housekeeping mops were not properly washed. I was nauseated by the fumes of dank, dirty mop water and urine and we kept the bathroom doors tightly shut and stuffed towels in the crack.
To make things even worse as if by spite or design they surrounded the three of us (63, 35 and 18) with all families with terribly misbehaved very small children. We were in the kiddy section. Parents letting their kids play in the hall at 6:00am, kids screaming all night, slamming doors. One family caused a big to-do at 11:00pm and woke us all up.

I was surprised the Comfort Inn was sold out but now I know...this Fairfield Marriott with its filthy bathrooms, terrible hospitality and weird sense of humor made this an awful stay. We were nauseated from the stench of the rooms when we gladly left. And it was absurdly overpriced.

Never, ever again. I'd sleep in my car first.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Alexandra M
Jason G, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Brunswick Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Alexandra M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Brunswick Freeport and for providing your feedback here on Trip Advisor.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. The experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates provide.

I personally assisted you with your reservations, including making the reservations with you via phone and confirming the rates; helping you check in early (as I recall you were feeling ill after a 6 hour drive from New York); dropping Thursday night for you without a charge even though you indicated you expected to be charged since you were inside our cancellation policy; and selecting connecting rooms for you in your preferred specified location of third floor, front side of the hotel, and quiet location.

You arrived before check-in time while we were working diligently to get your rooms ready by our check-in time of 3pm. I personally interacted with you. You offered to purchase an additional room away from your preferred location so you could rest since you were feeling ill and indicated you would come by later for the keys to your preferred rooms. Being a sold out weekend, there were no other rooms available in the hotel for an early check-in that fit the specifications you requested. If there were, we would have gladly checked you in early with no charge. At no point did you ever indicate to me that you were unsatisfied. In fact, you thanked me for helping accommodate your requests.

Regarding your feedback on room cleanliness: I personally inspected your rooms before they were released to you to make sure everything was up to our--and your--standards. I did not note any cleanliness deficiencies, including the ones you described. I also checked our guest service log and I am unable to find where these issues were reported to any other staff member.

After interacting with you multiple times before and during your stay (and during past stays over several years), I am surprised and disappointed that you did not mention any of these issues regarding room cleanliness, staff interaction, and noisy neighbors to me (or any other associates) so that I could have a chance to address them while you were here. I also reached out to you via email back on July 18 after you submitted similar feedback on a Marriott Guest Satisfaction Survey; I did not receive a response from you.

I am sorry this is the experience you chose to report on Trip Advisor. As I stated in my email to you back in July when I attempted to address your concerns, I am happy to discuss this further at a time that is convenient for you.

Jason G

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Hotel was clean, and staff helpful. Room was small, and tub/shower was slippery with only one grab bar. If you have trouble with walking or balance in any way, avoid this hotel. Pool was small but clean. Like other Marriott properties they offer coffee/tea all day, but run out frequently. At times main desk was unattended so we could not let them know. The location was excellent, close to the lovely town of Brunswick, but surrounded by pines. Smelled wonderful. Overall, not bad, but not the best. Needs updated and made more accessible for guest with gait issues.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Janet G
Jason G, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Brunswick Freeport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback here on Trip Advisor! We appreciate the time you took because it helps us improve. We will have our engineering team take a look at the tub in your room to inspect it for potential safety hazards. I have also passed on your feedback to our front desk leader so she can follow up about the coffee running out and the desk being unattended at times. Hopefully you witnessed our "away from the desk" sign up, which we do use on the seldom occasion that our desk associate has to step away to deliver an item to a guest. I'm glad to hear you found our hotel clean with a wonderful scent! We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Brunswick, Maine area!