“Total relaxation!”

and 1 more site!
Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bethel
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This place has it all. We stayed for five days and my car stayed parked for five days. One problem we ran into was we had booked two queen beds but had one queen and one pull out. The hotel was already booked so they could not put us in another room. They apologized but didn't offer any discount or refund (boooo). Another down side is their check in time isn't until 6:30 pm! However if you call ahead and the room is ready (which it should be because twice we had housekeeping wake us up at 8:30 am (booooo again)) then they will allow you to do an early check in (which was 8:30 am for us). Ok so that's the cons.......now on with the pro's! The room itself was very clean. The bed was comfy, the flat screen TV was nice, and there was ample storage for gear. One thing to ask for ahead of time is a mini fridge. I was shocked to see that it was not standard however they brought a nice clean one up to the room for us. The staff was EXCELLENT! Very informative of things going on in the area and are willing to help you out with certain requests. The ski check was also very continent and made our time there that much more relaxing. The restaurant (Legends) in the hotel is very good. A little pricey but worth it. If you want to save a couple of dollars take the free shuttle into town. So after a day of skiing and filling your belly hit up the heated outdoor pool and Jacuzzi! This by far was one of the "selling points" of this resort. We met a lot of cool people hanging out there and quite a few were repeat guests with only good things to say. Oh and yes, this is a ski in/ski out hotel :-) We will most likely be booking this place again next year as we were that happy with it. Oh and a heads up, book at the Boston ski and board show. You save quite a bit of $ and you can also talk them into some freebies like t-shirts, trail signs, and extra lift tickets.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We (my husband and I, age 55-60) just returned from a 6 night stay at the Grand Summit Resort. It was my second stay at the resort in the past couple of months. Previously I stayed there for 3 nights (12/26-12/29) with our young adult son who had traveled from CA to meet up with us in Maine and spend time with other family members over Christmas. It was because of that wonderful first time experience at the GSR and Sunday River skiing (over Christmas Vaca 2012) that I wanted to return with my husband. Our son also very much enjoyed his ski-and-stay at this resort!

During this most recent visit we had booked a standard room (2 queen beds), and had requested a room with a view of the pool and slopes on 3rd floor, which we were granted and very much enjoyed, for a mid-week ski-and-stay. However, with the forecast of the Big snow storm, we extended our stay until Sunday, so that we would not have drive back to MA in poor weather. During both stays at the resort I found the staff to be exceptionally helpful. The crew valet, check in and guest reservation services really work to assist with extending stays and finding rooms which was the case both for me at Christmas and again during this most recent stay. We switched to at superior suite (able to keep same view; just love sipping coffee and taking in that first morning light:), since a standard room was not available for our last two nights. We were skeptical about sleeping on the Murphy bed which pulls out from the wall. However, either because we were exhausted from all the wonderful skiing we did or it was just a comfortable bed, we slept very well. We like those comfy Boyne (mattresses) sleep systems! Murphy bed also had a Boyne mattress.

In the end we wished that we had booked the superior suite for our entire stay (kitchenette, bathroom, Murphy bed, dinning table, and cozy sitting area). We have read and heard mixed reviews regarding the Murphy bed, but it worked well for us. My only complaint would be that behind the Murphy bed, when it was pulled down from the wall, that there is a gap between the head of the bed and the wall and there food crumbs all over the floor there. I think that this area needs to be checked and cleaned and vacuumed between occupants. There were also quite a few food crumbs under the cushions of the love seat and chair. I only noticed this because I lost my room card and thought that maybe it had slid down in between the cushions. I picked up the food crumbs the best I could from the floor behind the bed. We had to ask house keeping for additional pillows. In the standard rooms there are fluffy extra pillows but, for the Murphy bed we only found two very flat pillows in the closet. In a very timely fashion house-keeping delivered extra pillows to our superior suite room. Other than these cleanliness concerns, which I am sure that house keeping would have addressed, had we asked them, the rooms and bathrooms seem very clean! I would have rated the property excellent if it had not been for the concerns regarding the crumbs in the furniture and on the floor.

We enjoyed our early morning work outs at the fitness center. There is limited equipment, but fine for what we needed. We swam every evening in the heated outdoor pool after exhilarating days of skiing. Temps in the pool can vary, depending on whether high winds restrict covering the pool at night. We never could get in the outdoor hot tub, it was jammed packed, every evening> But we did enjoy warming up in the indoor dry sauna afterwards. I liked the spa products in the showers in the lady's bathroom.

Some parents did not watch or pay attention to their children who were running around on the pool deck and throwing snow and ice at each other in the pool, even though there are signs forbidding this. One youth almost landed on my head when he ran and jumped in the pool slipping at the edge. It seems to me that these are accidents waiting to happen in this local. These types of behaviors were noted most evenings.

We think that the breakfast buffet is wonderfully varied, consistently replenished and that the service is very friendly! And, it is a very nice all inclusive feature. It is also nice that there are no extra charges for parking and that the ski storage service is available (tipping is a nice thing to do, since the staff there work particularly hard at the start of the ski-day and Apres ski). And the ski in-out benefit is a real bonus!

We dinned at on-site Legends most evenings (sometimes only having appetizers as we were still full from lunch or late day snack). Legends is fine for an easy access dinner. During the week nights we did not need or think about reservations, but on Friday when we went down to dinner we were not able to get a table since the place was booked solid. We wished that there had been more fore warning to this regard. We were able to order drinks and enjoy them by the fire in the lobby while that restaurant prepared take out meals for us. We were just as happy to enjoy these meals in our room. (so tired at the end of the day, which is why we did not feel like venturing out into the cold and snow:). However on the last night we did go to the Jolly Drayman Pub (located just before the village of Bethel, about 10 mins from the resort ~ we had a reservation) for dinner and very much enjoyed dinning there and wished we had ventured out a few other nights to either this local or other restaurants we had read about.

During the day we also enjoyed meals and drinks at the Foggy Goggle (love their fish tacos!), Peak Restaurant (WOW! those Bloody Mary's!) and Cho-Sun ~ 5 stars in our book! ~ located at the South Ridge Base lodge food court. When I was there with my son at Christmas it was open all week, but only open Fri-Sun when there this past week ~ FYI: they also have a restaurant in Bethel.

We were initially concerned about the skiing conditions, due to lack of snow, but Sunday River, hands down, does an absolutely outstanding job with their snow making and grooming. So for those first few days before the big storm, we also enjoyed blue bird sky days and great skiing. There is just something easy-going, friendly and all round good-natured about this resort. Typically we have gone to Stowe for our mid-winter ski get-a-ways but we have found our new "Happy Place" at the Grand Summit and Sunday River resort in general. We hope to be back before the season is over.

Thanks to staff that assist with making this a special place!

Room Tip: Higher floor over the pool, while maybe you can hear the pool noise, loved the view!
3  Thank littlebenn
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Sunday river is in my opinion the best ski resort in the East.. Wonderful runs, ambiance scenery etc..
The Grand summit the supposedly the best hotel on the mountain, but it disappoints somehow because it could have been a super luxury slopeside hotel, instead it's a very nice one but oudated and lacking the plus of the 5 stars.

Rooms are aging and cheaply furnished. Bed are confy and clean. Heating system is loud. When we arrived there was no toilet paper, probably because they prepared the room in a rush. They provide a coffee maker. TV is an LCD probably the latest improvement done in the last 10 years.

The Lobby is actually small for such a sized hotel.
The Gym is decent with few cardio machines, some weights and a universal machine. The Sauna does not heat much or it takes forever to do so. The swimming pool outside is great even for laps and the Jacuzzy attached to it is great. I like the communication with the inside in the pool so you don't have to walk in the cold. The lockers room show their age with rusting lockers. It can use a small touch or a couple of new machines.

There is indeed a wonderful and efficient shuffle service to the mountain amenities and a town bus that can take you to Bethel etc..

The staff is just nice. I like the ski-in ski-out and the ski valet.
Breakfast is decent with an omelet & crepe station.

Of course a LOT, million$ need to be spent to make it a luxury hotel. But I will go again based on its location

Reviewed 8 February 2013

My boyfriend booked 2 nights at the Grand Summit for me for Christmas with their ski and stay package. We decided last minute to go up the night before we were supposed to check in and they gave us the same ski and stay package rate without me even having to ask. We stayed in the Studio Superior room that has a kitchen and the murphy bed which pulls down from the wall. My boyfriend didn't know what the murphy bed was before we checked in so we were both a little surprised. The bed wasn't too comfortable and there was a gap between the bed and the wall when it was pulled down, but there was a love seat and chair in the room also so it was comfortable and roomy to hang out in when the bed wasn't pulled down. The ski-in and out is awesome as well as the heated pool and sauna. There is only one hot tub which was packed after skiing, but that is to be expected. The food at Legends and the Moonstruck Cafe was great and everyone who worked at the hotel was very helpful and friendly. The great thing about this hotel is there are no added charges (Stowe Mountain Lodge makes you valet your car then charges you $19 a day for it) so that was a nice surprise! There is a shuttle that takes you to restaurants around town and back to the hotel and all you have to do is call. The shuttle drivers and valet were really nice and very accommodating. Overall, we had a great time at the Grand Summit and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We were about 3 rooms down from ski valet and it was really quiet. I would not recommend the room wi...
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Summit again this year, the ease of checking in, ski check, ski in and out make for a fantastic stay.
The only fault we had, and it was a biggie, was that the pillowcase was stained in what appeared to be blood. After a long day at work, and the commute, the last thing we wanted at 11pm was to deal with this. We called the front desk and house keeping came and changed all our linens and replacement pillows.

• Stayed: January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
6.2 km away
Top Notch Inn
#1 of 7 in Gorham
4.1 km away
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn

Been to Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River? Share your experiences!