All reviews cookie cutter coffee shop next door four poster west market bars and restaurants stephen king within easy walking distance chain hotel an older building room was large king suite enjoyable stay bed was comfortable clean rooms visit bangor free breakfast paddy
Reviewed 21 December 2015

I stayed there two nights for a concert. The elevator smells like kitty litter. The hotel pug is nice. The person who worked there must work 20 hours a day. It's in the hear of downtown Bangor. Again nothing special but hey I knew what I was getting myself into.

Room tip: This is not the Marriot and don't expect anything more.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2015

What a great little spot the Charles Inn is!! The hosts were very gracious in sorting my room, booking taxis and holding my luggage for when i was out during the day - excellent service and one that as a solo female traveller was very much welcome and appreciated.
My room was very spacious, very comfortable and a really nice setting (oldy-worldly antique-y feel) and worth the costs. The included breakfast was simple and you could eat all you wanted - very yummy!
All in all a fantasic stay with the Charles and if im ever back in Bangor, which i hope i will be, i'll definitely be staying here again.
Best of luck to the new owner :-)

Room tip: I hear the rooms are themed now - go for the Stephen King one!!!
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
7  Thank HayJayEm
Reviewed 25 October 2015

The place had a quirky charm, and apparently our room was featured on a hotel rehab TV show, but we felt it still needed finishing. The bed sagged so we kept rolling into the center, and the pillows were so overstuffed and firm that they were virtually unusable. The windows did not open and the heating/air system only pumped out hot air & we felt like we were trapped in a sauna! The proprieter was friendly & helpful, and had only been the owner for a month, so things may improve, but we will probably not stay here again unless we see more favorable reviews in the future.
We did love the central downtown location with many restaurants to choose from and lovely streets to wander. It was a short cab ride to the coach line/airport too.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rambler707
Reviewed 20 October 2015

If you're looking for a cookie-cutter, chain hotel this is not your place. But if you're looking for a hotel with tons of character than you'll like the Charles Inn. Walking in there's an old phone booth in the entryway and another in the adjacent (soon to be) coffee shop. There's a lobby grand piano and comfy seats to relax. This is an old building and the furnishings complement this. Four-poster beds, brass faucets, real wood furniture in the rooms, etc. I really liked the place. The new owners have really exciting plans for additional remodeling and updates. The hotel is in a fantastic location right downtown surrounded by restaurants and shops. I will definitely go back. I can't wait to see the transformations the new owners have dreamed up!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Cindy H
Reviewed 23 September 2015

Like the review title, I really wanted to like this hotel, the staff are friendly and although it looks a little tired it has a lot of character. The room was basic, clean and served its purpose. The main and major issue was the bed, it was in the top 2 of the worst beds I have ever slept with, a mix of springs, plastic sheets and sponge, a disaster, that should never have been used, it is not possible that anyone has ever slept well in the bed, it was terrible. I had virtually not sleep, which is what I am paying for in a hotel. I hear its being refurbished, if so it may be worth a look, but demand a refurbished room. Oh and the WIFI is rubbish

Room tip: check the mattress first
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marc G
thecharlesinn, Owner at The Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2015

Dear Valued Guest(s):

Your review came in before our family took ownership. We value your feedback to help us improved to serve our guests even better. If you could contact us directly to let us know your name, we could look up the room and address this issue of a bad mattress immediately. The idea of hospitality is our guests' comfort and safety. You will be happy to know that we have an all new Wi-Fi system that is working fantastic for our guests. We had a full house this past weekend and no issues. We want to earn your business.

Thank you for being our guest at The Charles Inn, Bangor.

Kind Regards,