Open today: 09:00 - 17:30
Review Highlights
Last Chance Stop

We've been stopping at this store on our way out of town for several years. It's kind of a last... read more

Reviewed 8 October 2018
Leslie B
via mobile
Favorite Place to Get Pralines!!!

If I ever happen to leave New Orleans, I always have an urge to stop here because their pralines... read more

Reviewed 13 August 2018
Clisby W

All reviews great store new chef cajun spices gift items food items hundred dollars delicious pralines new orleans clean restrooms for sale gift shop souvenirs louisiana art browse turtles bayou
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Wasn't sure this place was open when we arrived. There were only two cars in a huge parking lot. The store is neat and clean, but a lot of open space, like they have more room than things to sell. They do have the advertised pralines, which are good - Not French Quarter good - but good. There are lots of jams, jellies, books and art. However, overall I was disappointed. Not quite sure how to explain, but the store just didn't seem to have any life. I was ready to go about two seconds after walking in the door. I will say that if you forgot to buy some kind of souvenir while you were in New Orleans, you can probably find it here. But the place lacks any real charm that sets it apart and makes you want to come back. Sorry Bayou Country General Store.

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank MamaFrank
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I've tried going to this place 5 times and I can't figure out how they stay open. On 4 visits, they were closed with an empty parking lot during regular daytime business hours, not on a holiday or anything. Another time found my way to the gift shop but getting hot food was not an option. I'm not sure why this place is here or what they are trying to accomplish. It looks like a rest area for tourists from the road, but you get inside and it's more like a museum gift shop, full of stuffed animals and pricey Louisiana food-related gifts (like pralines) for sale. Does not remind me of a "General Store" in any way. The name doesn't make sense and the hours are too short.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I went here for pralines to take home for various friends & family. They had all the popular flavors and then some. I prefer the original and their recipe did not disappoint. Yum!

There were many souvenirs, from cutsie to nice. All were either a little or a lot expensive.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank IDKwhoIare
Reviewed 12 August 2017

This store has about everything related to cajun life. Many gifts, including a lot of cajun spices, shirts, and some of the best pralines that I have eaten.
Everything is quite pricey so don't expect a bargain!

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 8 August 2017

The Bayou Country General Store is a little gem of a gift shop on the outskirts of Slidell near Lake Pontchartrain. I would plan a quick visit to walk through the store and peruse the gift shop. It has a wonderful bayou décor inside and the smell of freshly made pralines will make you hungry for a sample!

Date of experience: July 2017