“Strange hours, empty lot, no food”

Bayou Country General Store
Ranked #1 of 3 Shopping in Slidell
More attraction details
Owner description: Bayou Country is all things Louisiana and other cool stuff! We're making the best Pralines everyday and you'll enjoy browzing our huge selection of unique art, gifts and treasures. Our Cafe is open from 11-5 so come enjoy a great shopping and dining experience! Store hours are Mon-Sat 9-5:30 or so. We are located on the service road of I-10...Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I've tried going to this place 5 times and I can't figure out how they stay open. On 4 visits, they were closed with an empty parking lot during regular daytime business hours, not on a holiday or anything. Another time found my way to the gift shop but getting hot food was not an option. I'm not sure why this place is here or what they are trying to accomplish. It looks like a rest area for tourists from the road, but you get inside and it's more like a museum gift shop, full of stuffed animals and pricey Louisiana food-related gifts (like pralines) for sale. Does not remind me of a "General Store" in any way. The name doesn't make sense and the hours are too short.

Date of experience: September 2017
"turtles"
in 5 reviews
"bayou"

Reviewed 13 October 2017

I went here for pralines to take home for various friends & family. They had all the popular flavors and then some. I prefer the original and their recipe did not disappoint. Yum!

There were many souvenirs, from cutsie to nice. All were either a little or a lot expensive.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank IDKwhoIare
Reviewed 12 August 2017

This store has about everything related to cajun life. Many gifts, including a lot of cajun spices, shirts, and some of the best pralines that I have eaten.
Everything is quite pricey so don't expect a bargain!

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 8 August 2017

The Bayou Country General Store is a little gem of a gift shop on the outskirts of Slidell near Lake Pontchartrain. I would plan a quick visit to walk through the store and peruse the gift shop. It has a wonderful bayou décor inside and the smell of freshly made pralines will make you hungry for a sample!

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank Greg M
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Drove to Slidell purposely to dine and shop at the Bayou Country Store. Planned to eat first then browse through the store because after an hour and a half drive, we were starving. Unfortunately, the cafe in the general store is looking for a new chef ☹️. So many things I wanted to buy but hunger got in the way and we ended up leaving without a full tour of the store.

We did however get a good recommendation for another place at the next exit. I do plan to go back to the store but I will call first if we plan to eat there. The menu looked great and reviews were promising but with a new chef, tastes and menu may change. Will update if I do eat there..

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank Jennifer W

Been to Bayou Country General Store? Share your experiences!