“Wonderfully Delicious Seafood Gumbo, Great and Unusual Shrimp Buster, Fresh Plump Raw Oysters, Very Cold Beer”

Herby-K's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 541 Restaurants in Shreveport
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed 26 April 2017

I visited Herby K’s on a Wednesday evening around 7:30pm. The location is in a neighborhood that appears to be an old business district, with most of the old buildings nearby vacant and boarded up. Although the neighborhood is not appealing, I didn’t let it deter me and the visit turned out to be well worth it! Much of the limited parking directly in front of the place was full, but I found a place. Upon entering, I discovered it’s a very cozy place with a couple of tables, two booths, and counter seating in front of the full bar. Being alone, I took a stool where the wait staff comes through the counter to serve patrons – there were only four or five open seats at the counter. I got a large Shiner Bock draft (they have large and small) and it was served in a chalice – the beer was very cold. Having heard about the specialty of the house, the Shrimp Buster, I ordered it, as well as a cup of seafood gumbo. The gumbo came out and looked appealing with a plump oyster on top, and it included crawfish and shrimp, too, in a very tasty roux (see picture). It came with two pieces of buttered, toasted French bread and was absolutely delicious – reminded me of the gumbo my grandmother made when I was a kid in New Orleans. Soon after, my Shrimp Buster (see picture) came out – I asked for onion rings instead of the fries, which is $1 extra – and I was amazed at the four shrimp that had apparently been pounded flat, breaded, and fried, served over a couple of pieces of well-buttered toast, accompanied by Herby K’s special Shrimp Buster sauce (you can buy it bottled, too) and cole slaw. I thought I was done, but I saw a platter of a dozen oysters on the half shell being served to a patron in one of the booths, and they looked so plump and delicious (see picture) I had to order some for myself; they turned out to be almost buttery and most were very large – delicious with the accompanying horseradish (there’s cocktail sauce, too, but I didn’t use it) and saltines. I also ordered a local draft beer (Great Raft) in the regular sized mug. My waitress did a very good job of asking when I needed something and my dishes were taken away quickly. Although Herby K’s is small, the ambience is something from the past with the myriad of mementos on shelves behind the bar and the old-time feel, and the food is fantastic. I’ll visit Herby K’s again the next time I’m in Shreveport to try another menu item!

2  Thank Paul K
Management response:Responded 28 April 2017

Nothing makes us more proud than when we read a review like yours.
Thanks so much for trying us out, and we're so glad you enjoyed your visit! Hope to see you next time!

Reviewed 19 April 2017

I loved the ambiance and vibe and history; my server and other staff were very friendly and fun to talk with; I had a good conversation with the folks there to refinish the picnic tables.

But I somehow I managed to order the wrong menu items that do not contribute to the high ratings for Herby Ks. Or maybe I'm insufficiently acquainted with cajun cuisine to know what distinguishes a good po boy from a bad one. Or maybe it's because I walked in 45 minutes before closing and things were winding down.

I started with the chicken and sausage gumbo which came sided with a piece of toasted bread. The number of meatballs was impressive and the broth was unexpectedly dark brown but with a good spicy flavor profile. The chicken was sawdust sized.

I ordered the half shrimp and oyster po boy with the onion ring option for an extra $1. And this is where the real disappointment registered. Their was one piece of leaf lettuce and one tomato slice, 2 shrimp butterflied and pounded paper thin, a couple smallish fried oysters, a dollop of mayo, all on a toasted white bun. The shrimp were so thin that the breading was all I tasted. Compared to the fried oysters I had at John's Seafood on Jewella for lunch, these were half that size. And not nearly as tasty. The most memorable impression, aside from only 3 coolish onion rings, was how very dry the sandwich was. I hit with lemon and hot sauce but still needed glasses of iced tea to get it down.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

Iconic hole in the wall, awesome place to go. There famous for their Shrimp Buster. Fresh Fried seafood selection.

1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 11 April 2017

This is a quaint tiny little diner bar, but if you can get in and seated the Raw Oysters, Shrimp Buster and Cold Beer are Iconic! :)

1  Thank Teddington318
Reviewed 10 April 2017

This is part of what most folks are looking for when they travel....where the locals go! I have been eating here since the 70s and it never fails me.... I love everything about this place....the food is great and the atmosphere is even better.

1  Thank SchelleyB

Been to Herby-K's Restaurant? Share your experiences!