“Slow service”

Add it.
Papa Joe
Ranked #147 of 238 Restaurants in Monroe
Reviewed 26 June 2015

The service has been super slow the two times we were there and the restaurant was practically empty. Food was mediocre.

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 21 May 2015 via mobile

Lots of thoughts on this place. Still fairly new in this location and it shows. Went in for lunch and felt immediately at home. Nice decor and a comfortable, not overcrowded seating area. Music was WAY to loud, but it was tolerable for a short stay. Also, offering guests beads as they enter is a nice touch. Cute little bar area, nicely remodeled outside, and great signage. All good so far.

Our waiter was a nice young man, but unfortunately also a classic Seinfeld "low talker" - in combination with the loud music he was very hard to hear.

The menu looked very good with the exception of the appetizers, and everything was reasonably priced, including the daily specials.

All downhill from there. First they came back to announce they didn't have the items for one of our orders. Then the food took forever to come out. So long that the two servers on duty apologized to us a combined nine times (yes, I counted), and so long that the folks at an adjacent table had to take theirs to go. When the food did arrive my fries were cold and my burger was charred black on the outside while pink in the middle. The dessert cakes were bland. Not at all what we hoped for.

The meal ended with a corny duck-duck-goose reach under your chair for a discount thing that I could have done without.

I have high hopes for this place and look forward to writing an improved review in a few months after they get their act together a bit more.

Reviewed 15 February 2015

Papa Joe, Jr.'s is a fairly new eatery that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is located in a remodeled house just north of Louisville Avenue (Highway 80) in Monroe.

My wife and I stopped for dinner on a Saturday night. I love the remodeled interior, all in red and various Mardi Gras-like colors. The color scheme and the décor were pleasant and inviting. We also had a young waiter who checked on us a number of times during the evening. I was impressed with his diligence and helpfulness.

My wife and I chose a dish called Louis Armstrong pasta with shrimp, crawfish and sausage, together with a tomato-based sauce. It was tasty and adequate for the occasion. I also chose a side of red beans and rice, which was quite good.

The highlight of the evening, however, was the appetizer, namely fried green tomatoes with a special white dipping sauce which I highly recommend.

The menu could use a bit of tweaking, but overall it was a pleasant experience---slightly above average, but not excellent. With a little work, however, I do expect this restaurant to improve with age.

J. Randolph Smith