All reviews bird watching humming birds fully equipped kitchen balcony overlooking asa wright plunge pool easter weekend individual cottages air condition little bit of paradise dishwashing liquid helen lake hosts estate birdwatching trinidad
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had just spent some time island hopping the Caribbean when we decided to change from beaches to rainforest in Trinidad. Believe me when I say 'Wow!'. The pictures provided do not do this place justice. The rooms are incredible - very spacious and with stunning views, I had a hummingbird come up and check me out the first morning on my balcony - it couldn't have been hovering more than 30cm from my face; amazing. I am not normally a bird-person but my husband and I loved walking the grounds and were amazed at all of the different wildlife we saw. The pool is also perfect for cooling off. We wish had time to stay longer and if we are ever in Trinidad again we will most definitely stay here.

In addition, the value for money is excellent and we loved the way you had your own little kitchen with all the food for the mornings breakfast thoughtfully provided. We just loved being able to get up and have breakfast in our own time. With the views from our balcony to accompany we could not have had a more relaxed & peaceful get-a-way.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Britishtraveller2014
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here after our wedding. It was exactly what we needed. The overall peace, calm and beauty of this Estate is fantastic. No loud music, car noises, no hustle and bustle. Just you, nature, hummingbirds, small caymans (if you can spot them) and that pond. If it rains just bundle up in one of the rooms and turn on the AC. Splendid. The cottages made an impression on me. I love how they were built with lots of room, different types of wood and sound infrastructure. It feels truly secure. The furnishings were all high grade products. Helen and her husband really did a wonderful job with Hacienda Jacana. It's an unspoiled gem that is a perfect getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reann C
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is what the doctor ordered! I travel frequently and often shy away from the familiar. Through random searching I stumbled upon this place, an eco lodge and it is just beautiful. The cottages were well appointed and cozy, especially the kitchen area. You almost don't want to leave the bedroom on account of absolute comfort...but then you do, and there's the calming lake, the delicious fruit we picked off the trees, the birds, the soothing pool, we even spotted a caiman!, Although there for a weekend, the time went by so quickly that it left me yearning. All I can say is I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nelle S
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend four nights at Hacienda Jacana at the end of a busy two weeks of touring and birding. The welcome and hospitality were superb. The lodges are wonderfully appointed and Helen and Jesse went out of their way to make us feel at home - as well as providing wonderful dinners each evening. We were lucky enough to know to bring some wine, and it would be hard to beat an early evening glass sitting on your own private verandah as the sun goes down.. The beautiful gardens are home to a great selection of birds and Dave Ramlal is a very knowledgeable guide if you want to go out - but there is also plenty to see just relaxing in the small swimming pool. The hummingbirds by the entrance boom are stunning. Highly recommended and a different world from the bustle and traffic of much of Trinidad!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John G
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was our first point of call on a Christmas trip to Trinidad. We were the only guests so enjoyed the run of the place. Helen made us so welcome and made sure that our evening meal reflected our tastes. We spent one day just walking round the land and the bungalows and picked up 64 bird species as well as Uncle Wally (resident caiman). Without transport you only have the hotel grounds but with the pool, the hummingbirds and the walks that's not a problem. They don't serve alcohol so bring your own or buy some when you're out!

Room Tip: The hummingbirds won't let you sleep much past dawn but then you wouldn't want to anyway!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple