“Great spot to eat in Donaldsonville”
Review of Grapevine Cafe

Grapevine Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2017

This is the best spot to eat in Donaldsonville. Granted, there are only like three restaurants there. But this one is actually good. They have good gumbo and grilled Ahi Tuna, but honestly, I've never had anything bad from here. Grilled fish, crabcake pasta, its all good. Staff is usually very attentive, although the place can be very busy at times and put them in a crunch. Grapevine also has music on the weekends - its not loud or overbearing and is a nice touch. The prices are just a tad high for the place, but I think they are trying to go for the "upscale" feel. I wouldn't call this upscale by any means, but it is the closest thing to it in Donaldsonville and it is a solid choice for dinner- so come as you are, pay the bit extra, and have a decent meal.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

This is a quaint little restaurant in Historic Downtown Donaldsonville. We were there on a Saturday afternoon. Our appetizer was fried green tomatoes topped with crab meat. There were four tomato slices. They were served steaming hot with an amazing homemade remoulade sauce. Two of us split an entrée. It came with a large salad (served in two bowls.) We had crawfish cornbread topped with fried catfish, covered with crawfish etouffee. Each half-plate had three pieces of catfish. Our vegetable was green beans cooked with brown sugar and bacon. Believe me they were as good as they sound. We also had rough mashed potatoes. (We had leftovers to take home.) DO NOT GO to the Grapevine and fail to get the WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING!!! This dessert is amazing and I'm pretty sure they serve this in Heaven. It is that good! It came out steaming hot and swimming in white chocolate sauce. This was the perfect ending to our meal. But you could go there just for this dessert. The wait staff was super friendly without being pushy. The restaurant also features local art on the rustic brick walls. Do yourself a favor and try The Grapevine. I promise you will be glad that you did.

1  Thank mcpbrla
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Had a chance to visit here on a weeknight while on a rest and relaxation overnight trip. Even though it was a weeknight, the place had quite a few customers so I knew I was in for a good treat. I had the gumbo bowl and my dining companion had the fried shrimp. The service was excellent and the food was cooked to perfection. Just the right amount of roux in the gumbo and the shrimp were fried perfectly.

The restaurant is in an out of the way place, but deserves a visit if you are anywhere close.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

My husband and I visited this restaurant for my birthday. He had heard some really good things about it. I had read some not so good things on this website. I was hesitant but decided to agree to give it a try. Neither one of us had eaten here so it was first time for both of us.

I must say that it was an absolute delight.
It is in a historic building in the middle of town. The decor is nice and the manner of dress for patrons was business casual to softball uniforms. The atmosphere was pleasant and laid back. We were seated promptly and our server came around directly. An extremely nice, attentive young man. I wish I had gotten his name. He was awesome! He took care of our every need and went over and beyond to satisfy us.
We started with ice tea and a complimentary loaf of French bread that was baked to perfection. Needless to say, it didn't last long. We ordered apps. He the Grapevine shrimp and I had the Firecracker shrimp. Both were delicious but his was definitely the better one of the two. Just the right amounts of butter and garlic with cheese. Would be awesome on that loaf of French bread we had already polished off. For entrees he ordered the steak night 14 oz. ribeye and I ordered the trio of crab cakes with garlic aioli and smashed potatoes and green beans. All of it was exceptional! The steak was cooked to perfection and fork tender. The crab cakes were cooked just right and they were "real" crab because I did find some shell in them but not enough to be annoying and "worth it" to know I was eating real crab. And for desert I ordered the lemon ice box pie to go. And when our waiter brought it he told us the piece was way too small and he felt bad about it so he gave us the white chocolate bread pudding with sauce too to make up for it. Loved the sliver of lemon ice box. The bread pudding was tasty but not my fav because it's a texture thing for me.

All in all, it was an extremely wonderful dining experience and we agreed that we will definitely be enjoying the Grapevine again and again. So my advice is, don't be discouraged by some negative reviews because you just might miss out on a really awesome experience. Take a chance, most of the time it'll be worth it!

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Each time I've visited this restaurant I have eaten way too much to eat and have been blown away by the quality of the Cajun food. Quiet little town of Donaldsonville always has a place or two with great food. This one surely has something going on to talk about. For desert don't forget to try the white chocolate bread pudding.

Been to Grapevine Cafe? Share your experiences!