Open today: 09:00 - 16:00

from US$102.00
from US$145.00
from US$155.00
More Info
All reviews thomas jefferson our tour guide gift shop historical society jefferson room period costume the main house new orleans river road explore the grounds slave quarters great tour louisiana purchase spanish moss live oak trees louisiana history oak alley
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is a great tour of a beautiful plantation. There is great history with a little Hollywood history and flair thrown in for good measure! When we visited, there was a nice presentation and informative session about old time medicine by an incredibly interesting man who was full of knowledge.

Date of experience: March 2011
1  Thank Eur0pe2010
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My husband and I took a day on our New Orleans trip to visit the plantations. I'm so happy we skipped some of the more publicized ones (after visiting Oak Alley and loving the trees but feeling the history is severely lacking) and we ended up at Destrehan. SO MUCH TO OFFER, INCLUDING DOCUMENTS they took us into a dark room to view, was mysterious and exciting to see both originals and reproductions. The cabins were so cool. And the demonstration of the carpentry tools and how they built stuff was great.

Date of experience: June 2011
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I am not much into the tours and for learning all the history especially while with my two year old but this was a beautiful place to visit. I might not recommend the actual tour with the little ones but it is nice to visit. I loved the large trees in front of the main house. The people who work thee and give tours dress the part which is nice. I also liked the little gift shop! Great customer service and easy to find.

Date of experience: February 2011
Reviewed 18 May 2011

As a licensed tour guide, I volunteer with the Friends of the Cabildo, and last week I had the privilege of taking a group to view Destrehan Plantation. This was my very first visit to Destrehan but it certainly won't be my last. As soon as we approached the majestical setting moss-filled oaks, I felt like I was going back in time. It only took a few minutes of Ernie Krieger's tour to definitely take me to another era and place. He was so knowledgeable, energetic and passionate in his presentation of this oldest plantation of this part of the Mississippi River Valley. Even his attire and mannerisms reminded me of the time when Destrehan was a thriving plantation. All the other demonstrators - a lovely lady showing us how to use indigo as a dye and a charming carpenter showing us the tools and crafts used over 150 years ago. I had a totally enjoyable experience and would recommend this tour very highly.
Lisa Theriot Cairns

Date of experience: May 2011
1  Thank lilacs67
Reviewed 16 March 2011

A very good tour of early Louisiana. Guides were knowedgable and charming. Lots of demonstartions and examples. A large landscaped grounds to walk as well as the oldest plantation house on the lower mississippi. Worth the money and the time.

Date of experience: March 2011