“A taste of Plantation life”

Destrehan Plantation
Book In Advance
More Info
US$145.00*
and up
Destrehan Plantation and Small Airboat Combo Tour...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Destrehan Plantation is very imformative and fun to visit. You took our young kids, and they were not overly thrilled. But they got into the tour, asked questions and learned some things about Plantation life. There are different tour guides and depending who you get can affect the enjoyment of the tour. This time we got someone not so in depth with information. But the plantation grounds are beautiful. You can visit the different places around the main buidling and see how everything functioned together. A little expensive, but I did not feel ripped off or anything.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"sugar cane"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is a great tour of a beautiful plantation. There is great history with a little Hollywood history and flair thrown in for good measure! When we visited, there was a nice presentation and informative session about old time medicine by an incredibly interesting man who was full of knowledge.

1  Thank Eur0pe2010
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My husband and I took a day on our New Orleans trip to visit the plantations. I'm so happy we skipped some of the more publicized ones (after visiting Oak Alley and loving the trees but feeling the history is severely lacking) and we ended up at Destrehan. SO MUCH TO OFFER, INCLUDING DOCUMENTS they took us into a dark room to view, was mysterious and exciting to see both originals and reproductions. The cabins were so cool. And the demonstration of the carpentry tools and how they built stuff was great.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

I am not much into the tours and for learning all the history especially while with my two year old but this was a beautiful place to visit. I might not recommend the actual tour with the little ones but it is nice to visit. I loved the large trees in front of the main house. The people who work thee and give tours dress the part which is nice. I also liked the little gift shop! Great customer service and easy to find.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 May 2011

As a licensed tour guide, I volunteer with the Friends of the Cabildo, and last week I had the privilege of taking a group to view Destrehan Plantation. This was my very first visit to Destrehan but it certainly won't be my last. As soon as we approached the majestical setting moss-filled oaks, I felt like I was going back in time. It only took a few minutes of Ernie Krieger's tour to definitely take me to another era and place. He was so knowledgeable, energetic and passionate in his presentation of this oldest plantation of this part of the Mississippi River Valley. Even his attire and mannerisms reminded me of the time when Destrehan was a thriving plantation. All the other demonstrators - a lovely lady showing us how to use indigo as a dye and a charming carpenter showing us the tools and crafts used over 150 years ago. I had a totally enjoyable experience and would recommend this tour very highly.
Lisa Theriot Cairns