“Beautiful and informative!”
Review of Bocage Plantation

Bocage Plantation
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Darrow
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1801 and again in 1837 Bocage Plantation is a Grand Plantation Home.
“Beautiful and informative!”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The owner gave my tour. He was incredibly knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the plantation. I would love to stay in it as a bed and breakfast or as a wedding reception. Definitely worth while to visit this plantation!

Dublin, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful House, truly terrible tour”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We did not stay at the plantation (we live nearby) but stopped in to take the tour. I went with my mother and sister, and all three of us have taken plantation tours along River Road (Nottoway, Houmas House, etc.) and thoroughly enjoyed them. Bocage was by far the worst plantation tour, and one of the worst tours in general that I have ever taken.

Our tour guide knew next to nothing about the history of the plantation, the area, the antiques, or the restoration process. He was knowledgeable about the steam showers and 42 inch TVs, but that is NOT why people go to tour a plantation house. He couldn't answer even very basic questions about paintings, whether architecture was original, etc. He was not engaging or charismatic, although he claimed to have been working there a year. The "tour" was more like a 30 minute infomercial about the B&B and half of his sentences started with "If you stay here..." and he pointed out things like terry cloth robes and air conditioning rather than tell us origin of the chandelier or any sort of history about the mansion. He seemed impatient and uncomfortable giving the tour. We had a Groupon voucher for 2 admissions and needed to pay for one extra person. He asked for $20 cash and put it in his front shirt pocket - unprofessional and it made us uncomfortable. There were no signs pointing to the start of the tour, nor was there a visible cash register, restrooms for tour guests, etc.

The house itself is lovely, but is clearly set up as a bed and breakfast first and a historical tour second. In one room we were shown there were half open suitcases. In another, prescription pill bottles casually lay on a chaise. In another, a hand vacuum cleaner lay on the four poster bed. I understand that the house is a working B&B, but if you also want to show the house in tours and charge $20/person, I expect better attention to detail.

The grounds leave something to be desired - there are no gardens and only a few trees and randomly placed fountains.

The owners would do well to train their staff as actual tour guides if they would like to have ANY sort of tour business, like the one enjoyed down the road at Houmas. I can't speak to the B&B experiences, but we will be sharing our experience with friends and family to stay away from the tour. If you are visiting the area to take a tour, visit one of the other plantations.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank bethanynm
Decatur, Illinois
“Mansion Tour”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful tour with our guide. We were the only ones on the tour. The guide had so much infomation and we were shown and could sit and touch the beautiful antique furniture! The home was beautiful!
We love touring the Southern Mansions!

Visited December 2011
Lafayette, Louisiana
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“The Plantation Home is very Beautiful!”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My brother and I visited Bocage last week. This was our first visit and we really enjoyed it. You don't hear about this Plantation Home as much as you do some others, but this one is well worth a visit. It also serves as a Bed and Breakfast. The tour guide at the home did a really good job explaining the history of the home.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Don224
New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A jaw-dropping architectural beauty with astounding antiques!”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

In March of 2010 I arranged for my Ladies Club to tour this newly opened Plantation. Touring local Plantations by bus is something we enjoy on an annual basis, and we are familiar with most of them. This one caught us by surprise! Far above anything we were expecting! Every River Road Plantation is special in some unique way, but the interior features and contents of this one make it an extraordinary experience!

Visited July 2010