“Extremely disapointing”

Add it.
Ocean Basket
Ranked #14 of 33 Restaurants in Brackenfell
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We went to Ocean Basket Cape Gate on 5 October and ordered a seafood platter for two. The young friendly waiter said he will bring a bread basket with our drinks. The drinks arrived but no bread basket. Many moons later we called him to ask about the bread. "No they have run out of bread" he said. He already showed an empty basket to another table he said. No train smash, we came to eat fish in any case - but there is a Pick&Pay 100 meter down the mall, go and buy some buns man. It turned out somebody did get an Uncle Salie bread at Pick&Pay because we later got two slices of that. But back to the seafood platter. More moons later a platter was brought by a friendly young women - no sweat about the waiting we could see the place was very busy. ....But after reaching for the first prawn and peace of calamari I found out it was cold. Not stone cold but tepid, lukewarm - somebody-forgot-it-on-the-counter cold. I called our waiter and asked for warm food. He removed the platter and returned later with the same platter, only slightly warmer and with a tell-tale skin on the butter sauce. I asked if this was put in an oven to warm up. To which he admitted meekly. So now we have half-warmed up and dried out fish and seafood. Anybody been sick lately after eating at Ocean Basket Cape Gate? I asked for the manager. The same young women from earlier returned. I told her we are not going to eat there anymore, will pay for our drinks and leave. So we waited...and waited...and waited. Later we got up to pay at the counter. Now our young waiter appeared at the counter. I want to speak to a manager I asked. "there are three managers on duty " he replied. I want to speak to the most important manager I asked. "That is the GM and she is not present" he replied. When I asked for the number I was offered an email address and then another woman behind the counter asked if there was a problem.I explained the whole sorry story again and added that no matter where I eat at an Ocean Basket - be it Cape Gate, Swakopmund or Livingstone, I am always used to a plate of steaming warm, fresh fish - and even warned by the waiter not to burn fingers on the warm pan. This sad, tired platter we were served tonight was just a terrible disappointment. It had served-to somebody-else-and-previously-rejected all over it. She also apologized and tore up our drink bill (two savannas) So if you sent back a seafood platter for two at Ocean Basket on 5 October, it was probably served to me later in the evening. So we left 20.30 without food and angry for the wasted evening. If Ocean Basket Cape Gate cannot handle a full restaurant then maybe it is time to remove a few tables to make sure that the remaining table's people who are served food get good service and warm, fresh food.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

A great place to eat at reasonable prices,a good choice of menu and excellent food and service plenty of choice.

Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

Aibo! Fish half-cooked, chips half-cookef and side salad only arrived after main course was already finished. Only 3 other tables in restaurant.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

Grilled fish was like rubber, chips has no taste and they forgot the side salad. The prawns was average.

Reviewed 6 January 2016

I went to Cape Gate on Tuesday 05.01.2016 taking my 4 kids to the movies. we decided to go earlier so that we can have lunch first before going to watch the movie. My kids loooove seafood o we decided to go to Ocean Basket.
We were seated by 12:40 and because the kids, youngest being only 4, know what they want as they order sme thing everytime we go to OB we placed our order immediately to avoid unnecessary delays.
we waited and waited, kids getting impatient and restless. People came, ate and left, and we were still waiting. I called the waiter and he told us "only 5 minutes" as said 30 minutes earlier. After an hour 10 minutes, i decided this is cruelty to my kids and we stood up and asked to pay for the drinks and the food was still nowhwere in sight. and we left for Spur which was not a first choice.