All reviews welcome center beautiful park horseback riding campground office gem mining hiking trails growing up balcony overlooking interesting tour putt putt golf shower restroom lodge restaurant the cottages cable tv great weekend enjoyable stay natural bridge
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in one of the cabins with another couple and kids over spring break. Very inexpensive, fun trip for all ages. Even the gift shop was reasonably priced! —We plan to go back in the summer to explore more trails and caves. Loved it!!!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Chris P, Manager at Carter Caves State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thank you for your post! Most of all THANKS for choosing Carter Caves. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Reservation was easy on the phone. Room was clean and dog friendly. Plenty of clean fresh towels when needed and all the staff were so nice. X cave tour and Cascade cave tour and guide was great. Lodge Restaurant had awesome huge catfish was delicious. Waitress was very courteous. Highly recommend for a kid friendly or family get away. This state park is beautiful.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank None of Your B
Chris P, Manager at Carter Caves State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

What a great post! THANK YOU!. Please come as often as you can!

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

A KY state park with something a little different. Beautiful location, fun caves with expert and interesting tour guides. Read some bad reviews, but had no concerns for us. Nothing fancy... it’s a state park and that’s OK ... and rooms were nice, large and clean. WiFi was a little cumbersome to sign on, but worked better than most. Great getaway for a few days.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Stuart S
Chris P, Manager at Carter Caves State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Thank you for your post and for letting us know about your stay. We truly appreciate you choosing Carter Caves and hope that you can visit us again someday.

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

The condition of our cabin was DISGUSTING. Mouse droppings all over kitchen countertops and in drawers on arrival. Silverware tray was full of mouse droppings as well as all other drawers full of droppings. Had to clean with Lysol wipes. Mouse droppings all around baseboards. Cabinets were sticky with build up from lack of cleaning. Cabin was NOT cleaned prior to check in, although we were told that it was. I called each day of my stay about the mouse issue and NOBODY came to clean it up and disinfect. No towel service despite calling twice on saturday about it. Dirty bag of towels still laying on porch at checkout. 4 sticks of firewood in box on arrival. The floors were all sticky. I used a damp paper towel to wipe a place on the kitchen floor and it was black. We were there for a girls weekend which has been an annual to semi-annual trip for the past 10 years. The last 4 years have shown a drastic decline in the cleanliness of the cottages. Housekeeping needs to be closely monitored because they are clearly not doing their jobs. If this doesn’t improve we will not be returning. There is no excuse for the condition of these cabins, especially given the outrageous prices that are charged to stay.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Shellie G
Chris P, Manager at Carter Caves State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Thank you for your post and I completely understand your aggravation. I spoke with you about this situation. I have already spoken with our Housekeeping staff and will be following up with them periodically. We have our pest control company here monthly spraying and doing whatever is necessary to curb the problem. Although I hate making excuses the cottage in question is in an wooded area and with the cold temperatures we have experienced lately field mice are going to get in. The linen problem is inexcusable and that is why you and your party received a FULL refund of your stay. Of course that is just a small token of what we could have done to make your stay better. We apologize we failed your expectations and hope we can earn your return business to give us another try.

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

I’ve been here before and this is not my first negative experience. First off, I had to wait quite a while to check in after I got there, even though I got there at 1:00 pm. After I got in the room there were huge flies live, dead and long dead as well as ladybugs and wasps in the room. I do have sensitivity to stings. Lighting is dim to say the least. Super slow WiFi. Food is plentiful in the dining room but service is poor. When the dining room is open. On a previous visit there had been a massive power outage in a summer month and when I called to confirm my reservation, I was not informed there were any issues. I drove 4 hours to get to a hotel in summer with no dining facilities and no power aka no hot water, lights, ac, tv etc. they took a whopping $15 off my bill.

Moral of the story check if the dining room is going to be open during your stay and if you are squeamish about bugs, stay elsewhere

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Chris P, Manager at Carter Caves State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

Thank you for your post. Sorry your experience was not what you expected. Allow me to address your issues. The flies and wasps have been an issue in the past week after the temperatures have dropped. They tend to try everyway that they can to get indoors to warmer temps. I have addressed that issue with our maintenance staff to locate how they are getting in and well all it takes is the least little entry and they will get in. As well I have instructed our HK to be more vigilant on making sure they get these flies out and we have even requested additional visits from our pest control company. I agree with you the lighting is dim and have requested changes on that from our administrators. WiFi again I will agree with you. However being in a rural area away from any major providers we have to depend upon satellite provider and yes the WiFi is slow, however our hands are tied right now. As for this past summer and the power outage. I'm sorry that you were not contacted. Our phone and computer system does not have a battery backup system, nor do we have a generator. Our communication was very limited and I apologize for that. It was major power failure as the main line that feeds into the park snapped during a storm and that line was down over a cliff that the power company had to wait until daylight to repair. The dining room comment I will be checking into and addressing with the staff.

Again I'm sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations. This is one of the things I most appreciate about these posts as it gives me an opportunity to see what is we are doing right and what we need to work on. I hope we can serve you again someday.