“They thought of everything!”
The kitchen at The Lainhart Cottage
Additional Outdoor Dining Set
Entrance / Driveway to the Cottages
Picnic Area for Large Groups
An Overlook of the Pond
The landscape between the cottages
Beside The Elwood Cottage / Driveway
The Elwood Cottage
Just the right amount of natural Light. Come take a looksie from the balcony...at The Elwood Cottage
A breakfast nook and laundry room, too!
The Price is Right!
Easy Breezy
Smell the Flowers
Daniel Boone National Forest -- View from the covered patio beside the Hot Tub
Hot tub at The Elwood Cottage
From the driveway beside the Pond   *all photos this listing taken May-Oct. 2012
So colorful!
Beautiful Autumn here at Hisel Valley Retreat
*all photos this listing taken May-Oct. 2012
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Heather M
Cincinnati, Ohio
“They thought of everything!”
Reviewed 23 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

My husband and I decided to take a last minute weekend trip with three of our youngest children (5,3, and 1) and it took us a few days to nail down a place that fit our requirement on size, hot tub, and of course price. But, then I found Hisel Valley Retreat.
When we arrived, I thought "WOW!" and I am pretty sure I even asked if this was what heaven was like. The view from the multiple decks is just amazing.
Emery has thought of everything you might need while you are staying in the home. Right down to the toys for the kids. The home was very clean, and really felt like I was staying in the home of a family member.
Thanks again! We can't wait to go back, and go fishing in the pond!

Travelling group: Young Children
29 Sep 2014
This family was very nice. They left the cottage very clean, and were friendly people, just the kind of people we want to stay with us. I hope they do get the chance to come back, they are always welcomed.
Mary R
“Safe, beautiful, well-priced. Emery is honest and friendly. Simple and relaxed.”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014

I traveled from GA to OH with my 4 kids last week and wanted to stop in Kentucky just to make the trip more pleasant. Emery Bowen called me back immediately after I left a message. He scheduled a night for us in the larger of his two cabins. The cabin was lovely, large, and full of all sorts of cooking utensils, cozy furniture, bathrobes, and towels. We cooked our own meal and then relaxed in the hot tub. I also ran up the country path (a good hill workout) and we watched the meteor shower from the driveway at night. Our puppy was with us and Emery's dogs were kind and patient with the youngster. We felt relaxed and rested the next morning. The country drive out to the cabin very pretty. Take it slow on the winding hill roads. It's a ways from the market in Berea, so bring your food with you if you want to grill or cook. Salt and spices are in the cabinet.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Emery Bowen-kind and welcoming. Simple, clean, relaxing cabin.
Liked least: We didn't have any problems.
Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
8 Aug 2014
Mary and her family are really nice people, I enjoyed them during their brief stay. I hope someday they come back for a longer stay.
FrankPiet...
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Stunningly beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014

My wife and I were looking to get away from our hectic 60+ hour work weeks and hadn't been on a real vacation for nearly 13 years. My wife found this cabin and told me it was time for a vacation. It was the most magical place on earth! Set up in the hills, we went from city to secluded in less than 1/2 hour. We did several day trips to check out different sights including the Natural Bridge State Park (which we almost killed ourselves climbing!), Sanders Cafe, and hiking in the Daniel Boone Forest.

The cabin was amazing! The fully stocked kitchen allowed us to eat in. We grilled dinner every night and enjoyed eating out on the back deck. We spent most nights sitting on the front porch amazed at the quietness and spectacular views of thunderstorms miles away. My only complaint was that the hot tub was so amazing that my wife is now insisting she "needs" one! I had a hard time convincing her to come out of it!

Honestly, we dreaded our week ending! For work-a-holics, weekend getaways we took usually ended up where we couldn't wait to get back home...this was completely different, we didn't want to leave. The cabin felt more like "home" than our own home! We never slept so soundly, felt so relaxed or so comfortable.

Emery and Ella...we cannot thank you enough for sharing your little piece of heaven with us. We cannot wait to come back...and trust me, it will not be in another 13 years! The wife is already planning on visiting again this coming winter!

Liked best: The peacefulness
Liked least: I cannot think of anything, it really was all just what we needed/wanted.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
16 Jun 2014
Frank and Wendy are the nicest people, we loved having them here to share our little retreat. We certainly hope that they do come back, we truly enjoyed their company.

Thank-you guys for coming.
Andrea R
Coldwater, Michigan
“Wonderfully Rejuvenating! Very peaceful!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

My husband, I and my 2 year old son, wanted to get away to enjoy some natural beauty and some peace and quiet and this is exactly what we needed. We enjoyed the beautiful surroundings, birds singing, fresh air, beautiful walks. We did not want to leave. The owner Emery was so gracious, he came around and gave my husband and son a ride on his gator and a tour of the property. My son still talks about it, True southern hospitality! We very much enjoyed the hot tub as well, beautiful to sit in and look at the stars, watch the sun rise and through the day! It is a beautiful place and we will be going back again sometime for another visit. Thank you Emery for making our stay such a good one.

Liked best: Beautiful area
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
20 May 2014
These guests were great. Very nice people, just the kind of people we want, I hope they get the chance to return.
IN
Reviewed 1 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
1 Apr 2014
Hi Gail, I'm glad that you two enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure meeting you, and sure hope that you can come back.

Thank-you so much for staying with us.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$90
Night
Week
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing