“Great food and amazing service!”

Havana Rumba St. Matthews
Ranked #18 of 2,013 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East Louisville
Description: Havana Rumba is a trip to the Caribbean no passport required. Join the Cuban party without having to break the travel restrictions. Buen provecho!
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

We had heard this was a nice Cuban restaurant to try in Louisville. We were not disappointed! Our food came quickly and was fresh. The service was outstanding and the food tasted spectacular. What more could you ask for?! Wonderful, and highly recommended!!

Date of visit: October 2018
Marcos_Lorenzo70, Owner at Havana Rumba St. Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Thank you so much, Heather! We are so glad you chose us for your meal! Hope that you come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 20 September 2018

This is the third of the Havana Rumba restaurants in Louisville metro area that I have been to and it is every bit as good as the other two. The food is flavorful, and just enough different from the usual to make any meal a special event. My favorite appetizer is the guacamole with plantain chips, and favorite entree is the steak chimichurri. Everyone is always upbeat as is the atmosphere, and it's contagious. Whether you're new to Cuban food, or have enjoyed it all your life, you will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 13 September 2018

I ate here one Saturday night at the bar when I was looking for something convenient and good. I had the sweet potato fries, empanadas, and the sangria. The food was delightful, as it always is at Havana Rumba. I had never been to this location; it doesn't look like much from the outside but has the same quality food as the location off Shelbyville I had been to previously. The sangria was a little sweet for my taste, but just a preference more than anything. The bar area wasn't busy and I felt like the bartender was attentive and quick to take my order. I'm sure I'll return!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I was in town for a work conference and had been referred to this restaurant. The facility was very busy...always a good sign in my opinion. A young man at the counter tried to seat me immediately. Our daughter and granddaughter were meeting us for dinner. He was trying to be helpful but the manager came over and scolded him and was ugly to him in front of us and the manager never greeted me, offered assistance or even acknowledged that I was standing there while just pointing out his faults.

The food and the service we received was from our server was great but was disappointed in the way management was treating employees.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 27 August 2018

Has there ever been a restaurant in your hometown that you've always intended to visit, but something or other came up? Your friends keep saying 'We ought to go have dinner there,' but it just never happens. And then you leave it up to your out of town friends staying overnight to decide where you'll meet and they go on Yelp and say, "It's close to our hotel and it gets great reviews. Let's go there."

Finally. You get to go...And now you're grateful to your out of town friends and wonder why the heck it's taken you so long!

First, they DO take reservations by phone (no Open Table yet) so call a few days ahead, especially for busy nights or if there's a few in your party. Even with a reservation, you might have to wait a minute, so get one to be locked in, and they will give you a buzzer in case you want to wait outside if the weather is nice. Next, I was expecting a stand-alone building, so imagine my shock to see it squeezed into a strip-type mall right down from Del Frisco's. Don't let that deter you - remember the old book and cover saying.

I'll give them credit. I can usually only find great Cuban food in Miami. To find it in Louisville is a major delight. The prices are beyond reasonable, the portions enormous enough for leftovers, and the taste is amazing, not overly spiced but with enough kick that you can taste each flavor.

Let's start with the bar menu. I went with a peach margarita because it sounded right for a summer's day, and I'm thrilled I went with that choice. The drink wasn't so potent that I couldn't enjoy it, but had a nice mix of alcohol and fruit to make it refreshing with a nice 'oomph'.

For an appetizer - since I knew I was going with meat for my entree - I changed it up a bit by going with the vegetarian empanadas, a blend of spinach and gooey Mexican cheeses, encased inside a two, large pastries (enough for two if you're in the sharing mood) which weren't heavy, but flaky and light, despite the dense appearance. My entree consisted of the Palomilla Steak, sliced thin, grilled to medium-rare as requested, with nicely grilled peppers and onions on top, and accompanied with what you'd expect with such a dish: flavorful black beans, fluffy rice, and sweet plantains.

After all of this (and putting a lot in a container for leftovers), there was no room for dessert, so I had a traditional Cafe con Leche, a perfect end to the evening.

So does this mean I'll wait until friends come from out of town to visit Havana Rumba again? I don't think I can wait that long. But I'm glad my friends suggested this place and gave me an opportunity to finally check it out for it's definitely worth a visit, whether you're a native Louisvillian or from out of town. And bring your appetite and an empty stomach...You're welcome.

Date of visit: July 2018