“Everything was good ”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Side
Description: The Derby Café features local KY favorites including the traditional hot brown. Every day is Derby day in the café! Drink a Mint Julep while watching our resident throughbred
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

We stopped in after the tour of the museum. We were seated quickly and our server was with us quickly. We had no issues getting refills on drinks. The mint julep was my first so I have no idea what one is supposed to taste like but I'm sure it is the best here.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

I planned a trip with a dear friend and racing enthusiast to visit the Museum for "Fan Fest Day". I thought it might be nice to have brunch before touring the museum.

When we arrived at the cafe I noticed that everything was an 8 top table. The two of us where seated at table where a family of four was eating. That was a little awkward to say the least. The family looked at us as if we were intruding on their meal and I can understand... we felt weird sitting with them. We had no idea that this was the seating plan.

The next bad moment was when the server placed our napkin wrapped flatware on the table directly on fresh food stains and crumbs from the previous occupant. Ugh...I was so embarrassed and grossed out. I mentioned to the server that the table was soiled and she took a cloth and brushed off the crumbs. At this point I'm just trying to keep positive. We went to the brunch buffet line and although the food looked good and they had a nice selection, I was completely turned off by the fact that such a long spread of food had no sneeze guard whatsoever! I have never been to a public buffet that did not have this essential sanitary barrier.

Louisville is having a vexing Hepatitis A problem lately and I think every restaurant should make sanitation their top priority.

I don't know if the Derby Cafe has a different seating arrangements on other dates but it would make a lot more sense and comfort to their guests if they would have had 4 top tables instead of 8. Perhaps they prefer to cater to larger parties and that's fine. I just wish I knew before I wasted my trip. So disappointed.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

THE UGLY:
This was, by far, the WORST service we have EVER experienced. We should have turned around and left after waiting almost 5 minutes before we were even acknowledged. Once we were seated, which was immediately, we waited another 10 minutes before our server ever acknowledged us. He took our drink orders (nothing alcoholic because the servers were their own bartenders...), and when he delivered them, we were ready to order. He left the drinks, and said, “I’ll be right back.” Probably took at least another 5 minutes for him to return to our table. We started to order, and then he had to find a blank ticket to write on. This should have been another clue to us that the service would be less than stellar. The food arrived in a reasonable amount of time. It’s not a big place, maybe 25 tables total. It looked like our server had 4-5 tables, and they were all receiving the same horrible service. He was not the one to deliver our food, and once our food was delivered, he never even looked our way once. He never stopped by to see how everything was, he never “saw” when we needed drink refills, he didn’t realize that we didn’t have utensils or napkins, he “washed his hands of us” once we placed our order. When we tried to get his attention as he walked past our table, he seemed as if he didn’t hear/see us. He seemed as if he was a “one task” man. If one table needed something, he couldn’t multi-task and take care of the needs of another table at the same time. He could only complete one task at a time. And heaven forbid if you had more than one request! The man couldn’t handle it! And not once did any other servers acknowledge us either. You would think that the servers would act as a team to take of their customers. There was a “manager” looking type of person milling around, but they never came by our table to assess our experience. I kept giving her “the look” as she passed by, but got no response. After we were finished eating, we sat with dirty plates in front of us for at least 10 minutes before we could get his attention to come to our table. Against our better judgement, we ordered desert. We figured it would be easy...just cut the pie and bring it out. It probably took another 15 minutes for the pie to come out. We honestly thought that maybe they had to bake one for us... When we asked him why it was taking so long, he claimed that they were “really busy.” At this point in our meal, he had two tables left, as it was now 3:00 and they were closing. There were a total of 5 tables left in the entire establishment. So frustrating!! And not once did any other server acknowledge us either. You would think that the servers would act as a team to take care of their customers.

THE BAD:
Timeline: We arrived at 1:30. Our food came out at 2:20. We ended up leaving at 3:10. There was NO reason that a lunch should have taken almost 2 hours.

THE GOOD:
The only saving grace of this entire experience was the food. The food was EXCELLENT. Was it worth the wait and excruciating service? No. Had the service been even marginally better? Then the answer would have been a “yes.”

Three of us had the Hot Brown, and we all had only good things to say. Very tasty and very delicious. One had the brisket sandwich. That was also very good and delicious as well. We all had a sampling of the brisket meat, and it was tender and just the right amount of seasoning. Of course for desert, we had to sample the derby pie. It was good, but nothing spectacular. I think the bad service swayed our opinion on the pie. We were so ready to leave by the time the pie finally made it to our table...

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Great atmosphere and employees! Enjoyed some snacks and our first Mint Julip! Went here after the museum tour.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We had a great lunch there. Everything was fresh and excellent. Be sure to try the pickle fries. Deep fried dill pickles. Yum.