Open today: 10:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
Terrific Museum

What a delightful surprise! The Speed Museum is the art museum of the University of Louisville. I... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Pomerols
Weston, Florida
via mobile
A great place for decades

I started going here in grade school and took my granddaughter to the grand re-opening. It is clean... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

from US$11.00
from US$159.00
from US$75.00
More Info
All reviews special exhibition offer free admission american south pre school beautiful paintings fascinating things southern accent parking garage is permanent collection glass works great collection hour visit traveling exhibit plan on spending worth a trip kentucky history all ages
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Excellent series of movies that you are not going to see elsewhere in the Louisville / New Albany area. Small theatre seats about 150. Comfortable seating. Wine, beer & other beverages are available & can be taken into show. Paid parking is available but free parking is nearby with a short walk.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

This museum has such a great collection. All kinds of artwork from all different periods and different countries. What I really enjoyed also was the description of the works of art. They were so interesting and informative. They had something called what’s the backstory on many works of art. This would explain many interesting things about the artwork. I really learned a lot. The restaurant was also excellent for lunch. I loved my food and the prices were fair.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Really nice little art museum . Excellent venue for the arts for a city the
size of Lville. Easily manageable where you are not overwhelmed
with size of exhibit. I was very impressed with the range and scope of the collection . Walked away very impressed.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

I am not a regular museum goer, however, after walking through this one I have a new found love for art museums. The collections were not overbearing. You could get through most of the artwork in 1-2 hours. Lots of biblical pictures and a nice section on Kenturcky history.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 1 September 2017

How I love my membership in NARM (North American Reciprocal Museums - for those not familiar you can look up the list of members. If you're a member of one at the right level of membership you have free admission at the other member museums, special exhibits excluded). The membership encourages me to visit gems like this in my travels.

Speed has a nice array of items of different types, a little of this and a little of that. There are Native American and Egyptian items, but for me its strength is in European Fine Arts and Decorative Arts. There's a nice sculpture court, many Flemish paintings, among other things. I enjoyed a smattering of items that strike my fancy, like some Jugendstil vases, Rookwood, a Wedgewood mantle, and a Gothic type medieval room from a manor house in Devon, England.

Friendly staff, cute shop with fair prices. Parking is paid in a multilevel garage a short hop across a courtyard into the museum.

Date of experience: September 2017