“Great food, HORRIBLE management”

Jean Farris Winery & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Jean Farris Winery & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #171 of 1,019 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$18 - US$39
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: We sit in the heart of all that is great, with a view that is timeless. We have taken these products, crafted and grown from across the state and region to create the wine, food, spirits, and cocktails that have made the name Jean Farris so much more than just a brand. For us Jean Farris is the wine, but it is at home on a table filled with friends. Its home is Kentucky.
Reviewed 5 September 2018

We have eaten here and really enjoyed it. I liked it so much that I wanted to have a large dinner party (40 people) there. I emailed, called, stopped in and no one could ever help me. Finally I caught a manager on duty (Jessica T) and she assured me that she would do everything she could to help plan my event. She emailed me with prices, and I asked about dates that were still available. I emailed 3 different times asking about dates. My event was one month away and she took THREE WEEKS to respond after that. I have absolutely no interest in doing any business with Jean Farris Winery. You have to beat down the door to get any help.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 10 August 2018

With all due respect to the wineries in Kentucky....stick with bourbon or craft beer when visiting. The wine is just not that good yet. So don't expect a great glass of wine with dinner at this eatery. The food was not very good with a pretty run of the mill menu, the seating on the patio was very uncomfortable and the service was painfully slow even for the laid-back south. The place is pretty but not as nice as other wineries or distilleries. We were a party of six and had come to check out the place as a possible venue for my daughters wedding. We told the hostess that but no one made any attempt to try to sell us on the place other than to say "look at the website" Some how this place gets some good reviews but I think it is pretty hit or miss. Lexington has some very interesting places to eat these days. If visiting this area, my recommendation would be to spend time at a distillery and eat in town and give some of the new places a try.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 9 August 2018

I had to give this a rating, so that's why the average, as we really didn't get to sample or eat here. It's a beautiful country setting. We saw the sign on I-75 for the winery -- what a shame the days of operation aren't posted. We did have a pretty drive in the country. Unfortunately, we will not be back as it's a long drive from home. Be aware that the posted days of operation are Thursday through Sunday.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Four of us dined on the enclosed patio last Saturday for part of restaurant week. Three of us took advantage of the $27 prie fixe 3-course meal which was wonderful. The French onion soup had just the right amount of cheese on top and not too salty. The flank steak was ample and cooked nicely. Great, cheesy mashed potatoes to accompany. Our friends had the fried chicken which they enjoyed as well. Blueberry cobbler/cake with vanilla ice cream topped off the meal sweetly. The only disappointment were the drinks. Our friends thought the old fashioned too sweet and our bottle of white wine was not really good. Our waitress did not charge us for it which was nice. Would definitely go back there for a special evening.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 29 July 2018

My wife and I had a romantic dinner here last week on our second night in Kentucky. The setting is peaceful as it is on the outskirts of Lexington. The restaurant and winery are situated next to the owner's working farm and most vegetables served are locally sourced. The winery features its own selections as well as other more known wines from California and other places.

One has a choice of places to dine, either in the bar area, the dining room or the outdoor area. We ate in the dining room which had huge windows looking out to the grape arbors and the farm. Facing west in the evening, it was a very pretty setting. The service is polished and friendly. The food was well prepared. My wife had mussels and she loved their freshness and I had grilled sea scallops, also delicious. We had a bottle of the winery's Chardonnay. It had a good flavor and consistency and for $20 was a bargain. Bottles of rose were available for $10, an amazing value. Wonderful ambiance and wonderful food in a refined setting made for a special evening.

Date of visit: July 2018