“Nice country pub with a nice garden”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2018

Popped in for a drink after a local search. A lovely pub which is well maintained with a nice looking menu. Only had a drink but the food did look very good. Traditional pub grub. Was a bit quiet but it was a Sunday evening.

1  Thank Matt J

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Lovely roast beef served with lots of different veg from carrots to cauliflower cheese and red cabbage which seemed to be in cider , and sweet potato lovely homemade gravy, my friend had the lamb which too came out with all the extras

Would recommend to book as gets busy

1  Thank John F
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

The Bell Inn, Yetten Keynell is a traditional English village pub. Full of the charms of rural English life that is the beating heart of this community. I have eaten in there over the years many times and have always been impressed by the food. We decided to pay a visit on a Saturday evening as we have done many times in the past.

We where seated at the back of the pub in what I assume has been an extension? It was very nice, but I wouldn’t want to have been sat in there in the middle of winter. It’s a very intimate space so not much room for manoeuvre if you need to get from your table to the the bar or bathroom. The service was very good as always. I was particularly impressed by our waitresses extensive knowledge of the wine menu. So on to the food. I had a king prawn starter which came with a really nice garlic, chilli, honey and soy sauce dip. They where delightful. Fresh and well cooked the prawns where fact and succulent which is what I look for in a king prawn.

For the mains I had stuffed pork tenderloin in a cider apple gravy. To be honest I wasn’t that impressed with this dish. It was average and not as good as some of the dishes I’ve had there in the past. To top it off (literally) there where pieces of uncooked apple placed on top of the meat which made the presentation look amateurish. The apples where bitter and didn’t compliment the pork at all. The pork itself was perfectly cooked, wrapped in smoked bacon and stuffed with sage and onion this worked really well and was really tasty.

Once mains had finished and the plates had been cleared (after some considerable time I may add) we moved onto dessert. I always look forward to a good pud and when I saw crème brûlée on the menu I was over the moon because it’s one of my favourite desserts. When it arrived though and I started to eat it it was a little underdone. Almost like a cold soup. I did wonder if it had come out of a carton as apposed to being made on the premises with fresh eggs and cream? That aside though I don’t mind it a little under done because I quite like that liquid custard consistency. It could have done with a touch more vanilla for my liking but served with the shortbread biscuit it was a nice dessert and a pleasant end to a meal.

I would recommend this place to people who want simple English cooking done well but don’t expect to be blown off your chair. My only other criticism is that they need to change their menu. They have had the same menu for as long as I can remember.

1  Thank Bristol_FoodBlogger
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

An early Thursday evening visit. Quite quiet as it was 6.30pm. 3 of us. We had chicken Paris which is always amazing ! Baked cod and stuffed pork tenderloin. All was beautiful and we were happy. Always a good visit

1  Thank D336AIlizl
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We met up with friends here and all had the Sunday Lunch.

As always, the food was very good. The portions used to be huge and a lot of wastage but it seemed just right this time and we all enjoyed the meal.

The service was excellent and it was a lovely afternoon with some good food and wine.