All reviews hiking trails rooms are clean working order state resort parks swimming pool nearest town is paddling lobby
Reviewed 15 July 2015 via mobile

Pros:
Nice scenic lake
Fully stocked lake with fish
Decent food
Came with blow dryer
Plenty of towels etc.
Playground and pool (family friendly)
Plenty of parking

Cons:
Middle of nowhere
Dated
Small uncomfortable beds
Tv was small and picture was fuzzy
Low water pressure in shower
Water gets HOT!
limited wifi-- if you can get connected
Horrible customer service in the restaurant! Had to flag down my server every time.
Meals were expensive
Took forever to get our food
Lack of lake views

Would NOT recommend! Go to another resort like Lake Cumberland or Barren River are nice.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank OAWL
Reviewed 14 July 2015

The lodge is quite large, but the lobby is a little dimly lit. Check-in took only a few minutes and the lady at the desk was very helpful and friendly, giving me advice about several nearby places to see.

My room was on the first floor, which was the floor below the main lobby. The door opened from the outside and when I entered my room, I walked directly through the bathroom, which I thought was a strange arrangement, but it was OK. The room was inviting, but a little dark. There were three lamps, all with low watt bulbs, and no ceiling lights. The room, hardwood floors and bathroom were very clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable with better quality linens than some places I have stayed. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom and lighting over the large vanity was very good. The room was spacious with nice furniture and a flat screen TV. There were black marks on the walls and baseboards so maybe some fresh paint would be in order.

Another door across the room opened onto a large grassy lawn with a hill that went down to the river. I could see a dock through the trees, but didn't walk down there because the grass was wet from all the recent rain. The large pool looked inviting, but due to the weather there was no one swimming. There are several hiking trails in the park, along with camping and boating.

The lodge has a large dining room serving three meals daily. My dinner of lightly breaded fish fillets and stir fry vegetables was very good and nicely seasoned, except I thought the vegetables were too greasy. The cole slaw was very thick and overly creamy and not to my liking. The server and other employees were very friendly and helpful.

I stayed here because this lodge was recommended by someone on the internet who posted a driving route to the covered bridges in the area.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2015

We attended a family reunion in Greenup county and spent two nights in the lodge. The rooms are a little dated but clean. We were awakened in the morning by bird songs. The setting is country peaceful. The wifi was a little cumbersome to use but adequate. Lots of friendly people (a characteristic of rural Kentucky). The lodge dining room always had a super buffet with country style food(good). Service of staff was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Barangabill
Stephanie P, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

Thank you for your wonderful comment. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope the rest of your family visiting for the reunion did as well. We look forward to having you visit us again.

Reviewed 19 May 2015

I had a good stay at the Jesse Stewart Lodge! The staff was friendly and accomodating. The room was clean although a little aged, but comfortable. The rooms don't have a refrigerator but I requested one and it was brought to my room the following day. There was a $5 a day charge. (I checked - in in the evening). The food in the restaurant was good. There was a buffet or I could order off the menu. Plenty of parking out front and I enjoyed the forest setting. All in all a good stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

Room Tip: Ground floors have patio, upper floors have a balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank cblue43081
Stephanie P, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2015

Thank you for your wonderful comment and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the rooms are a little aged but we are making some changes in the rooms such as new mattresses and flat screen TV's that I hope makes your next stay even more enjoyable. Thank you again for visiting Greenbo Lake State Resort Park. We look forward to you visiting us again soon!

Reviewed 11 April 2015

We were at the lodge for three nights. We were not impressed with the quality of the services or the lodge facility itself. We have stayed in many of the KY, OH, and WVA lodges over the last 25 years, and we expected more from Greenbo on this visit. We have found that the KY lodges are not up to the higher standards of those lodges located in OH, but we love the locations of the KY lodges and usually find the KY state park lodges to be more than adequate for us. Greenbo has disappointed us this time and we do not plan to stay here again with all the other options available to us. Below are a few of my comments on why we did not like our stay.

When we entered the room for the first time we noticed a very stong odor of something that smelled like a cleaning fluid. It was overpowering. We called the desk, which offered us a new room if we wanted, but they also indicated that most of the rooms had just been cleaned (like ours) and the same smell was probalby there also. We stuck it out in our room and the smell abated after about 2 hours with both the front and back doors open for ventallation. We wondered -- why they would use such strong smelling cleaners and thus leave a room in that condition for the occupant?

When we tried to take a shower on the first night there, there was no hot water in the room -- either in the sink or tub. I called the desk and the answer was, "Run the hot water for about 10 minutes and it should warm up -- if not, call back". It did finally warm up, probably in about 5-10 minutes of constant running. Why would the management have a system that wastes that much water and inconviences the customers?

When I walked down the hall for a coke and ice, I found that the ice machine on our floor was broken, but the coke machine worked. So I then went upstairs and found an ice machine that worked, but I also noticed that the coke machine there did not work. Does anyone here fix machines for the customers?

When I used a luggage cart to unload our car and transfer our luggage to our room, the only cart available was one that was without the carpet on the bottom platform and had a rusty metal platform instead. Then when I walked down the hall I noticed that the hallway wall as dinged, the paint untouched, and the nearby steps dirty. Does anyone maintain this facility on an ongoing basis. Does anyone working here even notice these issues?

I have been critical in my review for I feel the employees here, and in particular the manager of this facility, needs to do a MUCH better job of quality control in the operations. These state parks are a real asset for the community and citizens of the state, but the management is not doing the most with what they have been given. I hope the don't manage this facility into closure someday.

Again, we will not stay at Greenbo again.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank William T

I am sorry that your visit to Greenbo Lake was not the experience you wanted and deserved. I agree, the issues you mentioned need attention and there were a couple beyond our control. Regardless, we are working very hard to make needed improvements at the lodge and throughout the park to ensure it remains open for many years to come. As the new manager, my goal is to help make this park better than it has ever been and I am confident we can make that happen. I hope you have a change of heart and decide to give Greenbo Lake State Resort Park a second chance to prove that visiting here can be a great experience.