“Some very neat history !”

Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenup
Reviewed 2 August 2015

Really enjoyed the drive through the country, roads could stand to be repaved on Rt 1. Enjoyed the old one room school and the old iron furnace ! grounds were kept up good. The lake is of decent size and they have a place where you can scuba dive as well. They rent canoe's , paddle boats, pontoons, kayak's and fishing boats at the Marina. The lodge don't have very many rooms, so best to call in advance if your planning on spending the night... we seen some deer grazing on the side of the road as we can into the park ( daytime ) . Nice pool with a slide at the bottom of the hill before you get to the lodge.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2015 via mobile

Pros:
Nice scenic lake
Fully stocked lake with fish
Decent food
Came with blow dryer
Plenty of towels etc.
Playground and pool (family friendly)
Plenty of parking

Cons:
Middle of nowhere
Dated
Small uncomfortable beds
Tv was small and picture was fuzzy
Low water pressure in shower
Water gets HOT!
limited wifi-- if you can get connected
Horrible customer service in the restaurant! Had to flag down my server every time.
Meals were expensive
Took forever to get our food
Lack of lake views

Would NOT recommend! Go to another resort like Lake Cumberland or Barren River are nice.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank OAWL
Reviewed 14 July 2015

The lodge is quite large, but the lobby is a little dimly lit. Check-in took only a few minutes and the lady at the desk was very helpful and friendly, giving me advice about several nearby places to see.

My room was on the first floor, which was the floor below the main lobby. The door opened from the outside and when I entered my room, I walked directly through the bathroom, which I thought was a strange arrangement, but it was OK. The room was inviting, but a little dark. There were three lamps, all with low watt bulbs, and no ceiling lights. The room, hardwood floors and bathroom were very clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable with better quality linens than some places I have stayed. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom and lighting over the large vanity was very good. The room was spacious with nice furniture and a flat screen TV. There were black marks on the walls and baseboards so maybe some fresh paint would be in order.

Another door across the room opened onto a large grassy lawn with a hill that went down to the river. I could see a dock through the trees, but didn't walk down there because the grass was wet from all the recent rain. The large pool looked inviting, but due to the weather there was no one swimming. There are several hiking trails in the park, along with camping and boating.

The lodge has a large dining room serving three meals daily. My dinner of lightly breaded fish fillets and stir fry vegetables was very good and nicely seasoned, except I thought the vegetables were too greasy. The cole slaw was very thick and overly creamy and not to my liking. The server and other employees were very friendly and helpful.

I stayed here because this lodge was recommended by someone on the internet who posted a driving route to the covered bridges in the area.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2015

We attended a family reunion in Greenup county and spent two nights in the lodge. The rooms are a little dated but clean. We were awakened in the morning by bird songs. The setting is country peaceful. The wifi was a little cumbersome to use but adequate. Lots of friendly people (a characteristic of rural Kentucky). The lodge dining room always had a super buffet with country style food(good). Service of staff was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Barangabill
Stephanie P, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

Thank you for your wonderful comment. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope the rest of your family visiting for the reunion did as well. We look forward to having you visit us again.

Reviewed 19 May 2015

I had a good stay at the Jesse Stewart Lodge! The staff was friendly and accomodating. The room was clean although a little aged, but comfortable. The rooms don't have a refrigerator but I requested one and it was brought to my room the following day. There was a $5 a day charge. (I checked - in in the evening). The food in the restaurant was good. There was a buffet or I could order off the menu. Plenty of parking out front and I enjoyed the forest setting. All in all a good stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

Room Tip: Ground floors have patio, upper floors have a balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank cblue43081
Stephanie P, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2015

Thank you for your wonderful comment and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the rooms are a little aged but we are making some changes in the rooms such as new mattresses and flat screen TV's that I hope makes your next stay even more enjoyable. Thank you again for visiting Greenbo Lake State Resort Park. We look forward to you visiting us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenup
19.1 km away
8.9 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
10.5 km away
Best Western River Cities

Been to Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)? Share your experiences!