Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)
US$114
US$56
Priceline
US$124
Hampton.com
All reviewshiking trailsrooms are cleanworking orderstate resort parksswimming poolpaddlinglobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2015

We were at the lodge for three nights. We were not impressed with the quality of the services or the lodge facility itself. We have stayed in many of the KY, OH, and WVA lodges over the last 25 years, and we expected more from Greenbo on this visit. We have found that the KY lodges are not up to the higher standards of those lodges located in OH, but we love the locations of the KY lodges and usually find the KY state park lodges to be more than adequate for us. Greenbo has disappointed us this time and we do not plan to stay here again with all the other options available to us. Below are a few of my comments on why we did not like our stay.

When we entered the room for the first time we noticed a very stong odor of something that smelled like a cleaning fluid. It was overpowering. We called the desk, which offered us a new room if we wanted, but they also indicated that most of the rooms had just been cleaned (like ours) and the same smell was probalby there also. We stuck it out in our room and the smell abated after about 2 hours with both the front and back doors open for ventallation. We wondered -- why they would use such strong smelling cleaners and thus leave a room in that condition for the occupant?

When we tried to take a shower on the first night there, there was no hot water in the room -- either in the sink or tub. I called the desk and the answer was, "Run the hot water for about 10 minutes and it should warm up -- if not, call back". It did finally warm up, probably in about 5-10 minutes of constant running. Why would the management have a system that wastes that much water and inconviences the customers?

When I walked down the hall for a coke and ice, I found that the ice machine on our floor was broken, but the coke machine worked. So I then went upstairs and found an ice machine that worked, but I also noticed that the coke machine there did not work. Does anyone here fix machines for the customers?

When I used a luggage cart to unload our car and transfer our luggage to our room, the only cart available was one that was without the carpet on the bottom platform and had a rusty metal platform instead. Then when I walked down the hall I noticed that the hallway wall as dinged, the paint untouched, and the nearby steps dirty. Does anyone maintain this facility on an ongoing basis. Does anyone working here even notice these issues?

I have been critical in my review for I feel the employees here, and in particular the manager of this facility, needs to do a MUCH better job of quality control in the operations. These state parks are a real asset for the community and citizens of the state, but the management is not doing the most with what they have been given. I hope the don't manage this facility into closure someday.

Again, we will not stay at Greenbo again.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank William T
Stephanie P, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2015

I am sorry that your visit to Greenbo Lake was not the experience you wanted and deserved. I agree, the issues you mentioned need attention and there were a couple beyond our control. Regardless, we are working very hard to make needed improvements at the lodge and throughout the park to ensure it remains open for many years to come. As the new manager, my goal is to help make this park better than it has ever been and I am confident we can make that happen. I hope you have a change of heart and decide to give Greenbo Lake State Resort Park a second chance to prove that visiting here can be a great experience.

Reviewed 12 November 2014

Peace and quiet abound. 3300 acres to explore. Water was so peaceful. Several people fishing. Went to Lodge. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Had lunch while on our visit. Food was excellent along with the service. Prices were very reasonable. What a great afternoon of exploring this area for the first time. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: For rest and relaxation, visit during the fall.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank plindap

Thank you for all the nice comments and look forward to having you visit again soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2014

This review is longer than what I usually write, because I wanted to write a rebuttal to the negative reviews for not only this lodge, but many other KY and IN state park resort lodges. We spent this past weekend at Greenbo Lake State Resort Park (Jesse Stuart Lodge), and had a very nice time. It is true that this is the beginning of the KY Resort Parks slow time of year. If you come between Nov. 1 and February you will probably have the to place to yourself. In fact, this is the time to get a great deal because the Indiana and Kentucky Resort Parks will offer 2 for 1 deals and even drop their rates to around $50 a night. We paid $184 including taxes for 2 nights Nov. 7 & 8. I read the negative reviews before coming to the lodge, and they are consistent with reviews of many Indiana and Kentucky lodges. This is a very nice and pretty lodge.

Our room was #102, which would be awesome if you come in the summertime to swim because the pool is just steps away. It's also just down the hall from the dining room. Our room was clean and spacious with a single Queen-size bed. The bathroom counter top looked like it had been replaced in the last few years. The bathroom was large. It had both a regular shower head but was also equipped with a hand-held shower head if you are unable to stand long. The carpet was not worn at all and was in good condition. The furniture in good shape and consistent with other park lodges and hotel chains. New artwork hung on the walls that had a modern look but still were pictures of trees consistent with a rural lodge. Our room and our friends' room both had a musty smell to them, but were very clean nonetheless.

We had breakfast both mornings and dinner on Saturday night. When the lodge doesn't have a lot of guests as during our stay, they do not open the buffet except for the Sunday lunch buffet. Instead, you must eat off the menu. The staff were courteous, and the food was very good. There were never any odd smells coming from the dining room. It had a pretty view of the woods and Greenbo Lake from the window of the dining room. The menu is consistent with other state park lodges as well with sandwiches, salads, wraps for lunch and a full breakfast menu. Their special for Friday night was fried chicken and Saturday night's special was all-you-can-eat fried catfish. I love the catfish at the KY lodges because it's in a cornmeal coating and it's not fishy tasting at all. It's no-frills good down-home food. They always try to source the food for their dining rooms from local farms when possible so they are both helping local food providers but helping to be green when possible. However, they did not have any recycle bins available.

The lobby is big and open with warm earth tones. We loved standing by the fireplace to warm up after a hike because they kept the fire going constantly. We enjoyed just sitting in the arm chairs and relaxing. It does have a large old big screen TV in the lobby, but the screen was not green like a previous reviewer said. It was completely normal. Maybe the reviewer was upset that it was turned to Fox News...who knows, but is was in normal working order. A few pieces of furniture in our room and the lobby were outdated, but the goldish colored arm chairs looked new. It appears that they replace some pieces of furniture at a time instead of replacing everything at once. The lodge was very clean and pretty. Yes, the lobby walls are covered in wood paneling, but we like that look because when you go to a state park lodge in a rural area, it reminds you that you're there to enjoy nature. I"m glad it's not in bright colors with geometric patterns. If you want a cold, modern look then go to a ritzy hotel in a downtown area or a casino. The earth tones and wood paneling are there to have a natural look. They have artwork of local landmarks like the old country church outside the park and a covered bridge. The wood inside the lodge complements natural elements.

I am a little miffed that people keep leaving negative reviews for our state park lodges that are undeserving. The state park lodges are there to remind people to "unplug" and enjoy nature both inside and out. I hope they don't change the decor at all. It's a wonderful place for kids young and old to appreciate the outdoors and nature. If people just want concrete, flashy decor, and small little meals arranged prettily on a plate that you can't pronounce then maybe these lodges aren't for you. They are great for families, friends, and couples who want to have a good time though. We had the best time with our friends Saturday night playing Mexican train dominoes on the 3rd floor alcove. We made memories that will stay with us a lifetime.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank alpine79

Thank you very much for all the kind words. I have often said that fancy hotels are nice for staying in town but they certainly don't have our beautiful view. I hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 7 November 2014

My wife and I stayed here 20 years ago and it was great. We had to book a year in advance just to get a room. Upon our most recent stay we booked 1 day in advance. A LOT had changed in twenty years. The park its self was very well kept and beautiful as we had remembered it. Very nice hiking trails and lake. HOWEVER, the lodge area was very ran down. We arrived on a Friday evening around 8:00 pm we noticed that their was only 8 cars in the parking lot. In years past their would have been at least 150. As we entered the lodge we noticed that everything was very dated and clean but just worn out and in bad need of a serious up grade. We noticed an old projection tv in the lobby that had a green picture. The once very nice gift shop that used to be just off the lobby was dark and empty. There was this odd smell coming from the dining room that wasn't very appetizing at all. On the way to our room we noticed that their was only one family eating at a corner table. We declined to eat there the whole weekend traveling out of the park to eat at local restaurants. Our room was very clean. It had double beds that probably were installed when the lodge was opened. A complete upgrade was definetly in order.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. Just not worth the $89.00 we paid.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 50988Mark_S
Reviewed 1 October 2014

Be prepared for LOTS of steps! The room was clean, and had a comfortable bed but the room definitely needed updating. The cathedral ceiling would have been nice if it didn’t have pipes across the wall for the sprinkler system. Wifi was available but was not completely reliable. I was given a room with a “good view”, but the view consisted of the playground and empty swimming pool. The worst part of our stay was the restaurant which had absolutely no service at all. They had a good buffet, but I had to hunt down someone to put out some soup bowls, or to refill something empty on the buffet. Since it wasn’t crowded, I sure wouldn’t want to go on a night with a crowd.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple