“Way more than I expected”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wichita Northwest Maize K-96
Ranked #26 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Way more than I expected”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here on the advice of a colleague and because my first choice was booked solid; not the most reassuring start to a stay. Nevertheless, everything was nicer than expected: amazing-for-this-price-hotel, fluffy towels; granite (faux?) bathroom counter and full tile shower; an amazing auto-pancake-making machine in the breakfast room; a quiet, tucked-away, no-kiddies-allowed-Priority Club "lounge" with a dedicated PC and color ink-jet printer for getting some serious work done; 63 channels on the wide-screen TV and front-desk help that went way beyond the norm to be helpful and friendly. My room, 207, was gigantic. (see photos) Even with a king-size bed in place, I guesstimated that there was enough room left over for another king or at least a queen-size, or maybe a square dance. And even though the diagram on the back of my door indicated that the long hallway into my room was an accommodation to the hotel's linen chute, I hever, ever heard any noise from that.

Room Tip: If you want to really st-r-e-t-c-h out, try a room ending in -07. Mine was gigantic.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Yorkville, Illinois
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My wife & I stayed overnight while attending a funeral. Very nice brand new hotel located near a variety of restaurants N/W of Wichita. The front desk personal were very friendly and recommended several good places to eat in the area. My only complaint was the lack of soundproofing in the rooms. Not only could you hear people talking in the next room, you can also understand what they were saying "You'll have to learn to sleep on that side of the bed"

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was scheduled to be working at a nearby site for 2 weeks. I prefer Holiday Inn Express, but so many new ones have major problems that I'm usually wary of using one for the first time. But I can say for sure, if I need to come back to this area, I'll stay here. My room was exceptionally quiet (major for me, I don't want to hear AC units from the next room, or tap dancers in the room above). They have the breakfast, with hot items, unfortunately at 6:30am, not 6am. And a majority of the time, the USA Today newspapers don't show up early, But that's a minor complaint. Indoor pool, with attached spa, so the water is clean. The only unresolved issue I had here was the inablity of the front desk to fulfill a simple request. Twice, with two different people, day and night, I asked for a new microwave in my room. Mine had controls in French (really), and I couldn't decifer it. Two broken promises to take care of it. Hotel is right across the street from two fast food restaurants, and only a very short drive to a plethora of many sit-down restaurants and shopping centers. The hermetically sealed rooms hadn't yet acquired that musty stench of former occupants that so many of these new hotels have (I have no Idea who thought up that idea of NOT letting fresh air into supposedly non-smoking rooms. What a joke). And, being a non-smoking hotel, everything smelled fresh, (that may change in the future; in my experience, front desk personnel do not get involved in other HIE's when I report the blowby in my bathroom of someone surreptitiously smoking in the bathroom of a nearby room). But I don't make that claim of this HIE. So, even though I don't give it the absolutely best hotel rating, it's really high on my list. Best this year, so far, I'd say. And I liked the towm.

Room Tip: All rooms should be great. Not near a highway, and even set back from the main street.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently for a business trip and it was amazing. I stayed at other Holiday Inn Express hotels and none of them compare to this one. Everything in this hotel is up to date since it was built back in May 2011. All of the employees at the hotel are very friendly. The breakfast is good but I think they need to get rid of that automatic pancake maker that dose not work that well. I think they need to get a couple waffle makers instead. The king size bed was really comfortable and the wall mounted 42" TV was a really nice touch. The entire hotel has a really nice modern artistic design appeal. I wish every hotel I stayed at was as nice as this hotel. I think every Holiday Inn Express needs to be updated to the same standard as this particular hotel. I can honestly tell you that you would be insane not to pick this hotel.
Also, the only thing I can think of to improve this hotel is to have a better gym area with more quality piece of of workout equipment (Dumbbells, Medicine Balls, Pull Up stand, spinning bike). Go to the Holiday Inn website and check out the pictures.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business