“Fantastic Dinner”

Cafe Su
Ranked #166 of 273 Restaurants in West Des Moines
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 4 July 2015

I just had a wonderful meal at Cafe Su. Try the Orange Chicken or Mongolian Beef.
I can't wait to go back. Loved the Jazz. Great service too.

1  Thank chicagogirl100

Reviewed 4 March 2015 via mobile

We arrived at 7, ordered by 7:20 and received our food at 8:15. This wasn't really ideal because our plan was to go to the free salsa/bachata lessons by Salsa Des Moines that began at 8 PM. The food was overly salty and without much other flavors. They have a wide beer/ wine selection, and our potstickers arrived quickly. The free dance lessons were a bonus!

Reviewed 16 February 2015 via mobile

Cafe Su has a lot of potential. I'll start there. The day I decided to go was a cold(below zero wind chill) day and I got there before the 11 am open time. I waited and at 11 it wasn't open, called to get answering machine and waited till 1130 and ended up going next door to Coopers. There were at least three parties at Coopers that were there only because Cafe Su wasn't open. Coopers gets a lot of business from Cafe Su because it doesn't open anywhere near its advertised time(also announced on answering machine). So when I left Coopers, I decided to check to see if, after 12noon, it had opened yet. It was open but no customers yet(all were at Coopers). So I ordered takeout for a later dinner. Apparently the previous nights staff had not bothered to clean up and the only waiter was trying to manage the complete cleanup and deal with the work ahead of him. Very nice waiter, recently back from service to our country. The order took 30 minutes to prepare two meals. I was the only customer at the time. The hot and sour soup was good, a tad different than I'm used to, with a bit of sweet and cilantro in it, which I liked a lot. The basil chicken was also very good. I asked the waiter to have the angry chicken made very mild. When I opened the container, it looked like a half cup of dried pepper had been added to it. Very very very spicy. And I saw the waiter write my request. Apparently the cook didn't quite understand. The atmosphere is very artsy. The good news is that Cafe Su has a chance to improve. And I do understand the situation. I also am very tolerant which most are not. Maybe I'll check them out again in about 6 months and see how they are doing.

Reviewed 28 December 2014

I really don't write reviews b/c I have spent 20 years in restaurants and everyone has a bad day BUT......
*the food was very bland, tasteless, crab rangoon was all shell w/ very little filling. My finacee's red curry tasted like beef stroganoff, his sister's coconut chicken tasted nothing like coconut, and the veggies were over cooked in all the dishes. We were suspicious we got the wrong dishes but honestly they were so tasteless it was impossible to know with the exception of the Angry Chicken which has a delicious sauce.
*the service was SLOW. It took probably 20 mins to get our 1st round of drinks. We had appetizers before they came. There was about 4 tables seated in the whole place.
*our server knew nothing about the menu. He did say several times that he had only been there 6 days but they should really step up their training. He told us they had no sushi and we later discovered that there were 3 rolls as the nights special.
*we used a Groupon which they tried in a couple different ways not to honor as it read. Then when we finally talked to the owner, who was very nice, to straighten it out, we still didn't get credited for what we had been overcharged.

This was the worst dining experience I have had in quite some time and I can only hope the owner reads these reviews and steps up the game at this place.

2  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 13 November 2014

Have tried countless chinese restaurants throughout Iowa, and Cafe Su is some of the best for their delicious cuisine. The newly renovated restaurant is inviting. Have never been there for the music or their bar, I just go for the great food. Mongolian beef was wonderful. Meat was tender and flavorful. Have been going for about 20 years and flavor is the reason why.

3  Thank iowaer