“Cute place for breakfast or lunch!”
Review of PerKup Cafe

PerKup Cafe
Price range: US$8 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Description: Homemade Biscuits and Gravy, homemade pancakes, best French toast ever!
Reviewed 1 February 2017

This is a cute little restaurant for breakfast or lunch. Good food - good service! Popular with locals for good reason!

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

Service was excellent. Hashbrowns were great. Coffee could have been stronger. French toast was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. They brought it out and it looked like burnt cheese on top. Obviously not what I was hoping for as it looked like the bread had just been fried. Flavor was okay but I will not be ordering it again and I wouldn't recommend it. Bacon was undercooked but had good flavor. My boyfriend had an omelet and really enjoyed it. Overall, I'd say it was overpriced for the quality of food that it was. Might go back, but not really on the top of my priority list.

Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

Tried to serve me a dish that was wrong. Waitress brought back to kitchen then a minute later came back and told me it was correct.
I thought she was joking. I asked again for the correct dish and she again told me I have it. So I didn't eat it. When I told the owner he said he removed it from my bill so I should be happy. I said no I'm hungry. Now I'm going to a different Resturant to eat.
I use to like this place when it was at different location and smaller. It was good. Since they moved the service has gone into the toilet.
The bacon they currently use is way to salty.
I will never return. I haven't yet found a good breakfast spot in this town. So I cook my own and save the going out, for dinner

Reviewed 11 January 2017

This is a small restaurant that has been in Des Moines and the same family for decades. They recently moved to this new location. Sausage gravy biscuits are excellent. They also have more variety of coffee than your usual ma-and-pa restaurant. Do not hesitate to eat here.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

I love trying new breakfast places and am always on the hunt for the best breakfast location in whatever city I'm in. This is the best breakfast place that I have found anywhere. The jam is homemade, I've never had better biscuits and gravy, the french toast is delicious. Plus they have really good tea, most places just serve Lipton. I moved away from Des Moines about 5 months ago, and I miss The Perkup Cafe every weekend...