Nabalu Lodge(Kundasang)
US$25
US$22
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Kinabalu Mountain Lodge(Kundasang)(Great Value!)
US$22
Agoda.com
US$37
Laban Rata(Kundasang)
Nikgold Garden(Kundasang)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspine treesmount kinabalurabbit housebreakfast and dinnerdeluxe roomnice viewkundasang townmountain viewwall fansuperior standardsoupwar memorialhuge balconychinese teawater heaterextra mattressstrategic location
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Best view ever! Our room was directly facing Mt. Kinabalu. Waking up to it every morning was just breathtaking. The rooms might look a little old but it's clean nonetheless. Bathrooms looked like they were newly renovated. There was a little walk in closet to keep your luggage and that's also where the dressing table was. The room came with a stand fan and no air-conditioning. Both were not needed as the weather was cooling up there.

Only complaint was the food. On our first night, instead of having rice and 3 or 4 dishes, we opted for a steamboat dinner. It costs RM10 per person to upgrade. It was more like a vegetarian steamboat. The 'fishballs' and 'fish paste' were made out of flour. Breakfast was mediocre as well. Sausages with super red tomato sauce (looked like colouring was added), nasi kunyit (colouring again as there was no kunyit fragrance), sambal, toast, and some bland noodles.

On our last day, we were awaken by other guests who came onto our verandah at 5 am. We didn't mind people coming but they should keep their voices down.

Stayed there for 3D2N and had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Chose rooms P1-P4. They have the BEST VIEWS of the mountain.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2012

After a very long and tiring journey, we finally reached our first destination, Kinabalu Pine Resort :) And yes we made it without GPS! So that's one of the travelling proud moments for us. We checked in at 2.30pm local time and it was just us at the reception area. Maybe it was off peak hence not many people staying at the hotel during that week. By the way, I made the booking through their website; deluxe room RM240 per nite with dinner and breakfast. (Required to pay RM100 refundable deposit)

After all, I just couldn't find any other interesting hotels or resorts while searching online, so when several friends suggest KPR, I was like "Ok let's settle for this". This is Kundasang after all, where you definitely can find hundred other motels and lodges there but very few family oriented hotels or resorts. With that, KPR is the best fits my criteria and well well well, partly because I was completely sold by the "RABBIT HOUSE" in KPR as reviewed by others. Rabbits and kids, they sure gonna love it. :P

Room was clean and tidy and spacious enough for kids to play around. Large patio facing Mount Kinabalu is another bonus point here. But heh, with two kids around, not a single second that we had a chance to just sit and enjoy the majestic mountain view. -_____-" Owh, it's a wooden flooring chalet, so please expect the noise. All I can say, it's a basic chalet but with good room amenities. Water heater, electric kettle, coffee making facilities, TV, hair dryer and standing fan. No air-condition unit and I think we don't even need it pun as it was cold enough during the day and even more at night. So yeah, don't forget to bring your warm clothing okels? And insect repellent too because the window panels are not air tight.

Ok now here the good part of choosing this hotel, at least to keep my boys entertained during our stay; they have rabbit enclosure, fish ponds, playground and well landscaped garden. With pine trees all around and the climate, it gives you the feeling of being in another country. Plenty parking bays, or maybe we made a visit during off peak so finding a parking spot is not a big problem at all ;)

Foods? This is the only setback here. As for dinner, it was totally below average but considering our whereabouts that time, we just have to make do with that four dishes served that night. Breakfast was ok, the normal American breakfast, suffice enough to supply the energy for our next destination - Desa Cattle Dairy Farm. Other tourist spots like Kinabalu National Park, War Memorial Park, Tea Plantation, Poring Hot Spring all is just a drive away. So you don't have to be worry about being bored while visiting Kundasang.

Tips! For you to catch the beautiful breathtaking view of Mount Kinabalu, please wake up early. As early as 5.30am local time. Otherwise you won't be able to see the mountain peaks as it will be hiding behind the clouds :P

Room Tip: Deluxe room for spacious room and huge terrace :)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank ShilaShower
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I loved the place the instant I set foot there. Clean, fresh air, a little chilly as it was about to rain. The reception area is very small but the staff are friendly. What I liked most is the resort was not as crowded as I expected it to be so it was nice wandering around the area all to myself. I would recommend to take a cab (though it is pricey for solo travellers) but for comfort and view of the surrounding villages and landscapes, I did not regret it at all.

I was fortunate to also arrive at the resort on a friday where there is a 'Tamu' in the kundasang town just about 10-15 minutes walk from the resort. Everything from handicrafts to apparels to foodstuff are sold here by the local kundasang villagers as well as nearby other nearby district traders...plus the landscape around the tamu is equally breathtaking...

My room was very clean though though basic. No fan or AC was necessary at all throughout the night as the area was chilly but comfortable.

One thing to remember: bring snacks and food of your own as minus the Friday tamu, there is absolutely nowhere to find food (except of course if you order room service or go to the resort restaurant). The restaurant caters more of chinese-styled cuisines (and halal) and if you want western meals, you need to let them know. The prices are pretty steep but you will not have much of a choice if you're hungry...Small portions are at RM 15.00, medium is at RM21.00 and large portions are at RM 26.00 per plate (as at May 2012). The breakfast at the resort is so-so...eggs, toast, sausages...the usual fried noodles with tea/coffee and juice....

Other than that, for entertainment, there's a TV avaliable with local channels but HBO, ESPN and CNN if you decide to just do nothing but relax in your room.

Make prior arrangements to the kinabalu park and other attractions if you like on your own. I requested the reception to make arrangements to the park on my behalf and i must say it was very expensive. A whopping RM95 return trip from the kinabalu park to the resort.

Overall, I did enjoy the entire trip and I plan to visit again. This time with friends and with preparation regarding trips and snacks....oh...did I tell how spectacular the view is in the morning?...;)

Enjoy your stay...

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mahesh21
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for a night which we got ourselves 2 out of 4 rooms chalet. Our rooms are facing Mount Kinabalu and the view is breath-taking if the day is not cloudy but I got the best shot in the morning session as the skies are very clear. However, we got a family staying at the first floor on that night so their kids just running up and down the staircase which makes the whole unit shaking and noisy... Recommended to take the breakfast and dinner package as there is no cafe or restaurant nearby the resort. Steamboat and BBQ available upon request... Nice place to relax with no regrets...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Kinabalu Pine resort is a good place to come with the kids and just chill. Its very different from the rest of KK so having done the beach, islands, city, animals etc, this was a welcome change. Weather is pretty cool (around 18 - 21 degreed when we were there) and the little "chalets" are really quite cute with big large porch to enjoy the view.

Interior however, is very basic. The rooms are really small and come with two small twin beds. Bathroom was pretty ugly although fairly clean. I had to add an extra bed and it did not leave much room for moving around.

The room rate comes with breakfast and dinner for 2 at the Pines restaurant. The breakfast was acceptable with a small buffet spread. We upgraded our dinner to the "steamboat" (cooking your food by dipping hte food into hot water) that night which was pretty fun. Staff at the restaurant are very friendly and helpful.

Spectacular views of KK mountain more than made up for everything. Get up early to watch the sun rise and see the mountains from your chalet. It really takes your breathe away and the kids enjoyed the change in climate and environment.

Travel around the area and check out the Kundasang area. It is completely different from the rest of KK, with fruit farm, milk farm, tea plantations etc - its a lovely area and very different from the rest of KK.

You can drive and park here as I saw a lot of local families drive in with their cars and park.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family