“Love the Entomatadas”

Navarretes Cafe
Ranked #51 of 237 Restaurants in Sioux City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 27 October 2017

This has been my favorite Mexican restaurant since they were a hole-in-the-wall diner in downtown Sioux City in 1978. Their third and current location on US 75 is kind of run down, but the food is still delicious. This is old school food without trendy stuff like cilantro and avocado, and they do not serve alcohol. My favorite item by far is the corn entomatadas, a Oaxacan specialty that I first encountered at Navarette's. I went back there for the first time in eight or ten years recently. Nothing had changed. The service is still excellent and they still do not accept credit cards.

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

I don't know what was better, the food or the service! Our waiter was great and so was the food. Wish we could have gone back before we left town

Reviewed 4 March 2017

have dined there since 1980 my kids grew up with theirs
still since dont drive anymore
i will take a cab to enjoy the food and prices

Reviewed 24 October 2016

Navarrete's has been around forever. The owners came from Harlingen, TX, which is a Mexico border town. To survive the Sioux City market back in the 60's and 70's, the recipes they brought with them were altered to be less spicy. Ground beef, cheese and other non-mexican ingredients were added. They did keep the entomatada, enchilada and tamale; however meats like barbacoa, al pastor, carne asda and chirzo are not on the menu.

The food flavors are mostly bland, which is not Tex Mex. The salsa served with the tortilla chips is a tomato sauce with red chili flakes added. There are no chopped vegges like onions, tomatoes and cilantro consistent with pico de gallo. The brown gravy over the tamale looked like mole, but lacked the tang. The tomato sauce over the enchilada added no flavor and tasted like tomato paste.

The Mexican cuisine served here has lost it's roots to Tex-mex, and it does not have enough of the authentic Mexican food to say it's good. I ended up with a poor rating because the look and condition of the place and it's cash only. Normally, a dive is a perfect place to serve up wonderful Mexican food. Without the great flavors of either Mexican or Tex-mex, the place then seems run down and unappealing. Not being able to pay with a debit or credit card is a pain. I didn't know that walking in here. Glad we had the cash on us.

I will say the service here is super. They are happy, polite and interactive. They are wonderful at answering questions and making you feel welcome.

Reviewed 10 September 2016

Worst food and experience I have had in a very long time. The server was fine, but the hostess was extremely rude. The food was flavorless.