“Great Happy Joe's! ”

Add it.
Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream
Ranked #10 of 13 Restaurants in Monticello
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Great food just like I remember 20 years ago, clean, small salad bar though. Nice staff, most of the games were out of order however.

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

We ordered pizza for delivery in Monticello. This is a tough thing for a non local. There are no menus online and there were no fliers in the hotel room. We just guessed at what we wanted and sounded cheap because we had to ask at every step how much each item cost. Delivery is $2 but could be more depending on how far away you are.

We placed our order and were advised that delivery would be an hour. This was a Sunday night around 8. I thought an hour was excessive but small town 1 delivery driver eh...About 20 minutes later someone calls us back and says our order was rung up incorrectly and advised us of the changes. I asked how soon our pizza could be ready if we just picked it up. He said 25 minutes.

We arrived at the pizza joint almost 20 minutes later and decided to eat there instead of in the motel room. The pizza was not even warm. It was an incredibly nondescript pizza. It could have come from anywhere. The only outstanding flavor was the sauerkraut.

Our basket of appetizers was blazing hot and as tasty as fried foods can be.

I was SHOCKED when we got our tickets and our pops were $2.80 each. These were regular sized glasses not giant huge glasses.

If I had seen the Casey's before I ordered from Happy Joe's I'd have gone there. At least their Pizza has flavor.

Reviewed 1 May 2016

While I was working with a local supper to my company, we ordered lunch from Happy Joe, and this stuff was great! We had several types of pizza to try and all of them were very good! I strongly recommend you order a pie from Joe!

Reviewed 16 July 2015 via mobile

I really wanted to give 2 stars, but it was just too awful on every front.

We came here for my husband's birthday only because we happened to be in his hometown (from Texas) on his birthday, and this is a place from his childhood. This was actually his first job, when he was 14, 30 years ago! My in-laws live here and were also present.

When we came in, we noticed that everything had been recently redone. The Happy Joe's of 1985 was not there, and I thought it looked lovely. There is even a model train that probably runs around the restaurant, but the staff never bothered to turn it on.

There were a total of 4 tables other than ours the entire almost 2-hour period that we were there. We ordered a taco supreme pizza, and a little Joe Hawaiian pizza as well as drinks. We arrived at 6:05. My father-in-law reached his limit and went home to mow the grass at 6:45 when we heard that we were going to start the pizza-making process over from the beginning (for some "mistake" that they never explained). Thankfully, my mother-in-law asked about my 2-year-old's pizza, because they PUT IT IN THE WARMER! (If you have ever had a 2-year-old, you'll understand...).

When we finally got our pizza, it was burnt (?!?), had a tiny amount of sour cream on top ( not what my MIL had been receiving at her work for years, now), and no onions on the onion half. Oh, that was okay because the "manager" was giving us 30% off of "everything." But, it was only 30% off of that one pizza, and she apparently did the math in her head, because 30% off of $17.29 was an even $4.

Oh, my! A random aside. While we were waiting, the staff had time to run around in birthday hats for fun AND bake an actual cake for someone! (I mean a non-menu cake -- they used pizza pans to cook a yellow boxed-cake and messed around with it for hours). I truly have done a-LOT of food service over the years and I always try to give the staff every benefit of the doubt; but this place was absolutely not busy.

And! I saw a sign in the bathroom that you may not wash dishes in there?!? That, for me, was a first, lol!

I live in San Antonio and will obviously not be back. But, my Monticello in-laws both went to work today, and related our horrific experience throughout the day, and I still heard them tell 5 people after work.

Happy Joe's, get it together!!