“Great staff, acceptable.”
Review of Days Inn Dubuque

Days Inn Dubuque
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Late Friday afternoon we decided to drive to Dubuque, IA. I like to plan trips and this one was definitely not planned and I hoped that my usual tricks to get a cheap room would work on such a short notice. Priceline let me down but Expedia came to the rescue but after seeing the reviews I was concerned. If you have a reliable GPS, its hard to miss it. The bar was hopping when we arrived around 9 but we did get a non-smoking room. The place looked "shady" from the outside but it is old. We got our bags and quickly made our way to our room where we promptly closed the shades, the door, turned on the A/C and I stuck my mini-alarm on the door just in case of trouble - first time I've ever done this while staying in a motel. The room was acceptable, it was clean, the sheets and pillow cases were fresh - no bed bugs, no flat panel TV here just the older TV model, the bathroom was clean - no hairs, the carpet was iffy so I avoided stepping on it with my bare feet. I noticed we had complimentary coffee, regular and decaf and a couple of tea bags - that was nice. Soap, shampoo etc - were provided. I will say that the room was loud, we were on the second floor and something made so much noise it sounded like an airplane was about to take off - to top it off, around midnight, we had "revelers" from the Spirits bar coming back to have a good 'ole loud conversation just outside the door which made us appreciate the "airplane" noise until around 2am when it would wake us up whenever it kicked off. Whatever, the room cost us just a little over $50. We slept ok - honestly, it wouldn't outside of the noise the bed was pretty comfy. The following morning, we took advantage of their free breakfast - you can make yourself a waffle, they have hard boiled eggs, cereal, coffee, OJ, toast, and bagels. We had a nice shower afterwards and we didn't have any issues with the water. What I appreciated the most was the kindness of the manager who provided us with a number to call if we got lost in Dubuque along with a map showing us where everything is at. This is definitely not the Holiday Inn folks but it is cheap and you get a free breakfast.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room and a room on the second floor, call the motel in advance ask for it...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xwarrior26

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way to our vacation destination. We made the reservation for the price - right around $50. The lobby and location were impressive, the room was clean and comfortable, and the bar, restaurant, and pool were fun and festive. We enjoyed our first night so much that we ended up booking a room fr a night on our way back home. We'll stay here again next time we're in Dubuque.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
ronconrad, General Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for choosing the Days Inn in Dubuque. I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful experience at the motel. We appreicate the review and can't wait to see you the next time you are back in Dubuque.

Ron Conrad

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed here out of desperation - every other room within a 60 mile radius was booked. The room itself was about as expected - old, basic, and poorly maintained. The bed was broken down and the shower didn't work. However, the deal breaker for me was the excessive noise from the wedding party that had a reception here. I was woken up multiple times throughout the night... 12 am, 1 am, 2 am, 3 am, etc by extremely RUDE wedding party guests/members. Loud cars, loud music, loud motorcycles, you name it! The final straw was when a group of five wedding party members decided to stand outside my door and talk so loudly that it woke me up. After their conversation continued for more than 30 minutes, I opened my hotel room door and slammed it in their faces - thinking they would get the point. Nope. Hopelessly rude and low-class people frequent this place. I was planning to stay here a second night - absolutely will NOT - I will be checking out promptly and going elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2011

For a little more than 50 dollars a night we got a clean comfortable safe room. Sitting on a bluff off highway 20, it can be a little difficult to find unless you are looking closely for the signs.However, that is not a negative, I believe it makes it a little safer. Anyway, there were no problems during our 2 night stay; staff were friendly and helpful. One thing I appreciated was the lady who ran the breakfast area, making sure food was stocked and clean. She took care of that area like it was her home kitchen, very reassuring for cleanliness. And if you like a donut for breakfast, they have the best I have seen. One of their donut delights will surely satisy your need for a morning donut. All in all this is the type of place I look for when traveling, clean, safe, good ac, decent breakfast; all at a good price. Motorcycle friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room, if you do not want to carry your luggage very far.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Older motel, but well-maintained. Very helpful manager. Good bed and shower. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family