“Well located for downtown access with a free shuttle to boot!”

Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 4 December 2017

My wife and I attended the Home Free Country Christmas concert on 12/03/2017 and had landed this room as part of a priceline "name your price special". At a little over $82.00 for the night the room turned out to be well worth the price.

This particular Holiday Inn is an older property but about the only way you can tell is from the hallways and stairwells. The lobby area features a full bar and lounge (open 5pm to 10pm) and an onsite restaurant, has a workout facility on the second floor (and important point as the services guide in the room doesn't indicate where its located and I had to ask the front desk). There's also an indoor pool with an adjoining patio with several tables and chairs (although this area overlooks the freeway, so maybe not a great area for a picnic).

The rooms themselves are exceptionally clean (my wife, who generally is a stickler on this point, actually pointed out that the bathroom was the cleanest she had seen in a hotel in quite sometime). The bathroom is a bit older (a tube/shower combination with actually a hot and cold water valve as opposed to the single valve you'd be used to in newer hotels). However the bathroom looked like it had been recently been re-grouted, and there were none of the usual signs of past reno neglect (peeling wall paper, chipped paint, old or rusted fixtures, which was a key point of irritation for me at a recent stay at the Raddison in Davenport IA). The only real indicator of age, beside the style of the fixtures, was the double valve tub and the old school high school style door handle.

The room itself had a large queen size bed, a comfortable sitting chair with ottoman, a very nice desk plus a microwave, refrigerator and a keurig coffee maker with an assortment of pods. TV was a large screen lg, but service was direct tv vs a regular cable provider, but came with a full range of hbo and cinemax, so those that like to order movies directly as opposed to being stuck with what's available probably won't be to disappointed. Room service is also available, with a quick run through of the menu indicating your typical in house fare, though the prices weren't terrible for room service. Considering downtown was right across the freeway, delivery wouldn't be a problem.

The work out room was a nice surprise, being very well stocked (multiple treadmills, a rowing machine, workout mats, free weights and a weight machine). There's also a sizable conference space in the tower section as well as room for special events (there was a record and music convention going on on the day we were there, and there seemed to be adequate space to for the vendors to ply their trade).

Probably the biggest plus was the free shuttle, which runs to both the airport and down town to the civic center and surrounding areas. The driver (and older gentleman who had lived in Des Moines for many years) had several hints for restaurant options, and his recommendation of a German Restaurant down town was spot on. The shuttle is available until 11PM and was a great service to have once our concert was over. Actually it would be fair to say that our stay at the Holiday Inn was the high point of the trip as the concert was more meh.

So why 4 out of 5. A few niggling details. The breakfast buffet is your standard hotel fare (bacon, sausage, oatmeal, potatoes, eggs) that you would see for free at other hotels, but runs at $9.99 a person here, and isn't terrible but wasn't worth the expense if fuel was food at that point. A minor issue, they are a coke products only facility, but for some reason every vending machine in the place was out of diet coke (the only diet option) in nearly every vending machine I checked. Starting on the 3rd floor, both 3, 4,6,7 and 9th floors were sold out. The 5th floor machine ate my money. The 8th floor machine gave a regular coke instead of a diet. Only the 10th floor had any in stock. The front desk indicated a high school dance troupe had recently been through, so maybe they cleared everything out, but still annoying when that's the only available option (they did refund my money with no hassle on the machine that ate my cash and provided the wrong product).

So 4 out of 5. Regular rooms go anywhere from $115.00 up, so if you can land a room for under ninety you've got a great deal considering what you're getting. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: I was in room 317 facing the parking lot, so if a view is important ask for something different.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Bio: I’m a Trip advisor senior reviewer who gives accurate, fair, nonemotional and factual reviews. I travel for business and stay 120+ nights in hotels and over 100 flights per year. IHG spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum.

The good: Every single staff member I encountered on a 1 week business trip was just great. Some of the nicest people I’ve met in my travels. The staff were always smiling, polite, friendly and professional. Kudos to them. The property was very clean, everywhere I went it seemed to be cleaned thoroughly.

The bad: The property is suffering from the same problems as many other metropolitan hotels, the building is older and badly in need of renovation. The windows are all drafty, it’s very noisy, and just generally worn out. NOT unclean, just old.

Noise: because it is older and the windows need to be replaced you can easily hear all the traffic on the interstate side, and on the hospital side it’s still noisy plus the helicopters taking off and landing make for a poor sleeping environment. Another age related issue is hearing every single door open and close and noisy hallways.

Management is certainly doing a good job, that is evident from what I experienced. Overall these are the reasons I rated as Average.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Hi GadgetMedic,

Thank you for your stay and for leaving a review. Our goal has always been to provide our guests, especially our Spire Elite Ambassador members, like you with the best accommodation and hospitality service. I am glad to learn our hotel staff was able to assist you with your needs and thank you for acknowledging the hospitality they have shown you during your stay. Although, it is with regret to know that we were not able to meet your expectations of the IHG brand when it comes to our hotel facilities and sound proofing of our windows. We know how important this is to our guests who have an active interest in traveling as they expect to have comfortable hotel experience. Please know that your comments are being looked into by our upper management and future upgrades will be considered.

Nonetheless, I greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to further understand what needs to be done for our guests to fully enjoy their stay. I hope you choose us again for your lodging needs. Should we have the opportunity to host your stay again, please feel free to look for the hotel staff or Duty Manager for assistance.

Regards,

Zel N.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Hotel staff was very professional however it would be nice to have breakfast on weekends start at 6 am. We had to be at conference by 7:30 so had no time for breakfast. Thanks to front desk Michelle for check in process.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown is a little dated but the rooms are clean and there is plenty of free parking. I had one of the best restful nights in quite a while at this hotel property. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. I also had a wonderful buffet breakfast (Guest have the option of ordering from a menu). The hotel is centrally located close to everything in downtown Des Moines. The hotel is also located across from Mercy Hospital. I will definitely stay at this hotel property the next time I am in the Des Moines area.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Noisy guests, beds sucks (slanted to the middle), bad pillows, guests were smoking in their rooms, dirty, and the management was very unhelpful/unfriendly after reporting loud guests partying in the hallway at 3am. Stay clear of this one! Wow, it was bad.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank msifuentes
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear msifuentes,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your experience at our hotel. What you have described is not the type of stay we strive to provide every guest every day, and it does not meet our expectations. I have shared this information with management in order to ensure that what you have described will not happen in the future. I greatly appreciate your business and your review.

GretchenT