All reviews mercy hospital convention center onsite restaurant wedding reception pleasant stay bed and pillows free shuttle lobby area an older property coffee maker downtown expressway ihg concert
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Bio: I’m a Trip advisor senior reviewer who gives accurate, fair, nonemotional and factual reviews. I travel for business and stay 120+ nights in hotels and over 100 flights per year. IHG spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum.

The good: Every single staff member I encountered on a 1 week business trip was just great. Some of the nicest people I’ve met in my travels. The staff were always smiling, polite, friendly and professional. Kudos to them. The property was very clean, everywhere I went it seemed to be cleaned thoroughly.

The bad: The property is suffering from the same problems as many other metropolitan hotels, the building is older and badly in need of renovation. The windows are all drafty, it’s very noisy, and just generally worn out. NOT unclean, just old.

Noise: because it is older and the windows need to be replaced you can easily hear all the traffic on the interstate side, and on the hospital side it’s still noisy plus the helicopters taking off and landing make for a poor sleeping environment. Another age related issue is hearing every single door open and close and noisy hallways.

Management is certainly doing a good job, that is evident from what I experienced. Overall these are the reasons I rated as Average.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Hi GadgetMedic,

Thank you for your stay and for leaving a review. Our goal has always been to provide our guests, especially our Spire Elite Ambassador members, like you with the best accommodation and hospitality service. I am glad to learn our hotel staff was able to assist you with your needs and thank you for acknowledging the hospitality they have shown you during your stay. Although, it is with regret to know that we were not able to meet your expectations of the IHG brand when it comes to our hotel facilities and sound proofing of our windows. We know how important this is to our guests who have an active interest in traveling as they expect to have comfortable hotel experience. Please know that your comments are being looked into by our upper management and future upgrades will be considered.

Nonetheless, I greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to further understand what needs to be done for our guests to fully enjoy their stay. I hope you choose us again for your lodging needs. Should we have the opportunity to host your stay again, please feel free to look for the hotel staff or Duty Manager for assistance.

Regards,

Zel N.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Hotel staff was very professional however it would be nice to have breakfast on weekends start at 6 am. We had to be at conference by 7:30 so had no time for breakfast. Thanks to front desk Michelle for check in process.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown is a little dated but the rooms are clean and there is plenty of free parking. I had one of the best restful nights in quite a while at this hotel property. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. I also had a wonderful buffet breakfast (Guest have the option of ordering from a menu). The hotel is centrally located close to everything in downtown Des Moines. The hotel is also located across from Mercy Hospital. I will definitely stay at this hotel property the next time I am in the Des Moines area.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Noisy guests, beds sucks (slanted to the middle), bad pillows, guests were smoking in their rooms, dirty, and the management was very unhelpful/unfriendly after reporting loud guests partying in the hallway at 3am. Stay clear of this one! Wow, it was bad.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank msifuentes
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear msifuentes,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your experience at our hotel. What you have described is not the type of stay we strive to provide every guest every day, and it does not meet our expectations. I have shared this information with management in order to ensure that what you have described will not happen in the future. I greatly appreciate your business and your review.

GretchenT
Marketing

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We stayed at this hotel and found management entirely unresponsive to calls for help with a large and unruly group of guests. There was marijuana, swearing and fighting in the halls. After asking the hotel for help three times we finally called the police who got control of the situation and evicted some of the guests

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway side on the south
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Hi David N,

Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay with us. Your thoughts are valued. I feel concerned that the service from our hotel staff fell below your expectations. It is our goal to meet your needs as a guest and I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail. The hotel management will be alerted so that no other guest will experience this same level of dissatisfaction again.

I am glad that you found the room's upkeep adequate. It was a pleasure to host your stay! We hope to hear back from you.

Kind Regards,