All reviews mercy hospital convention center onsite restaurant pleasant stay bed and pillows free shuttle lobby area an older property room was large coffee maker downtown expressway ihg concert
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Noisy guests, beds sucks (slanted to the middle), bad pillows, guests were smoking in their rooms, dirty, and the management was very unhelpful/unfriendly after reporting loud guests partying in the hallway at 3am. Stay clear of this one! Wow, it was bad.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank msifuentes
GretchenT81, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear msifuentes,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your experience at our hotel. What you have described is not the type of stay we strive to provide every guest every day, and it does not meet our expectations. I have shared this information with management in order to ensure that what you have described will not happen in the future. I greatly appreciate your business and your review.

GretchenT
Marketing

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We stayed at this hotel and found management entirely unresponsive to calls for help with a large and unruly group of guests. There was marijuana, swearing and fighting in the halls. After asking the hotel for help three times we finally called the police who got control of the situation and evicted some of the guests

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway side on the south
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Hi David N,

Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay with us. Your thoughts are valued. I feel concerned that the service from our hotel staff fell below your expectations. It is our goal to meet your needs as a guest and I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail. The hotel management will be alerted so that no other guest will experience this same level of dissatisfaction again.

I am glad that you found the room's upkeep adequate. It was a pleasure to host your stay! We hope to hear back from you.

Kind Regards,

Anna B
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Ceckin staff were friendly. We stayed in a suite which was massive and had two bathrooms. Room was clean and had a comfy bed.

Breakfast buffet was standard selection and was very tasty and the hot items were actually hot.

Overall the hotel could do with a rethink I the decor. I didn't think the decor was old but just a bit old fashioned. Brown is not a modern color these days. It made the hotel look like something out of the 70's.

However we enjoyed our stay albeit only one night and would use it again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed two night so we could attend the fair. Room average. The front desk nice but the bar service was terrible. We were waiting at a table to get service and the waitress never came by. She saw us and that was about it so we decided to move the bar. Big mistake the bartender was no better. In fact the first thing out of her mouth was you cannot sit there! Wow! She was mean!!! Stay at another hotel. Not great!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hi sbezzole,

Thank you for contacting us about your experience at the Holiday Inn Des Moines DTWN - Mercy Area.

I am sorry to learn about your disappointment in the level of service received from some of our bar staff. IHG sincerely cares about your experience, and I appreciate your taking the time to let us know. I have shared your comments with hotel management, who responded with genuine concern for the impact this had on your stay. I know they appreciate your sharing your experience and am confident they will take steps to address accordingly the issues you have raised.

Again, thanks for getting in touch with us. We appreciate you as an IHG Rewards Club member. If you need anything else just send us an e-mail at ihgservice@ihg.com.

Best Regards,

Ronald R.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We were in town for a wedding and the guests of the wedding stayed at this property. Although the reception wasn't at the hotel, they were very accommodating to the large group of people staying at the hotel and provided shuttles to us to our reception venue so we didn't have to drive and worry about parking. It was sure a nice surprise! The public areas of the hotel were very clean and staff was plentiful. They accommodated us to have an early check-in at noon since we needed to change for the wedding (I called ahead). The room itself was pleasant, however as a family of 4, we would have appreciated having queen-sized beds vs. the double beds that were in the room -- the room was large enough for queen beds so that's the only thing I can fault them with.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family