“Fresh and Delicious Chinese Food!”
Review of Shang Yuen

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shang Yuen
Ranked #241 of 579 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 16 March 2016

I have been eating at Shang Yuen for years. They have always stayed consistent with good sized portions that are both flavorful and fresh. I love that they use mainly fresh vegetables in their dishes and they don't overcook them, which is a huge plus in my book! I typically like the spicy dishes, like Hunan Chicken or Hot Szechuan Beef. But the Beef with Pea Pods and Mongolian Beef are great as well. I also would recommend their Lo Mein; it is my favorite in town! The prices are reasonable and their service is fast and efficient. I say shame on anyone who gives this place a bad review! It has been around for years for a good reason! If you haven't been you really should!

There are newer reviews for Shang Yuen

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Good, consistent Chinese fast food.
My food was very fresh and tasty.
The service at the register was friendly.
The wait for my food was short and quick.

Reviewed 17 November 2014

I've eaten here many times over the years. They are always consistent. The portions are quite large. This time I had cashew chicken, takeout. It came with two crab rangoons. Yum. Was still hot by the time I got it home. Fast, hot, inexpensive, good. Give it a try.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'm surprised to see the bad reviews for this place. We don't eat in the restaurant, so I can't really attest to the service. But the food is always really good. We almost always get the lo mein. In fact I haven't had much better lo mein in my life. The other offerings are good, but we rarely go there!

It is a quick service place. The to-go food comes in styrofoam clamshell containers. The eggrolls and rangoons are good and the fried rice is as good as most other places.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Honestly, the reason I come here is that they have the best Kung Pao chicken around. It's absolutely perfect, especially if you like your food really spicy! Everything else is pretty fair. The service is not outstanding, but never rude or lazy. It's also a little pricey for the amount of food you get, and the atmosphere is pretty average.