See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 June 2016

2nd visit to this B&B and another great experience. Lots of little kids that the owners handled with patience (when we were really loud). Breakfast was always excellent. Recommend - great place to stay, great location, great owners.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
ButlerHouse, Owner at Butler House on Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2016

Thank you for your positive post. We have been blessed to be open for almost 18 years and over these years, we have gotten to know many of our guests as they stay with us often. We have enjoyed getting to know your family and watching you all as you start your own families. The children were wonderful. We hope there will be a time soon when you all find your way into our B&B again. Enjoy your summer. Clark

Reviewed 14 March 2016

We arrived on a Friday night to visit our daughter who lives in Des Moines. Preparing for a smooth arrival I always re-read other reviews and even go so far as to view the surroundings on Google maps street views so I know where I'm at when I get there. The Butler House was easy to find and once we arrived the home and surroundings were very nice with the home being set up on the hill. Upon entering the home, it is very well appointed and decorated. At 6100 square feet, there is room to roam. We had chosen the Greenwood room and it was spacious, comfortable. The entire home is almost as it was in 1923 when it was built. Many of the fixtures are from that same time but in excellent working condition. The breakfast was excellent and the stay was a very interesting and relaxing. We will most certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dhornick
ButlerHouse, Owner at Butler House on Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2016

Thank you for you kind remarks. We have been open for 17 years now! While our home was built in 1923 we do try to keep as much of the original fixtures as we can. We certainly do hope you will return again. Thank you too, for staying with us.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

I enjoyed the charm of the house, our room was on the top floor and it was very quiet despite the busy road nearby. Lauren was a wonderful hostess offering us suggestions for dinner and activities. Check in was seamless with my only complaint being the house itself was hard to see from the road and the sign was too small. We drove past it. The breakfast was deliciously homemade.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2015

Beautiful house, gorgeous furnishings, excellent location, especially for runners or bikers, with easy access to the river trails, wonderful food, and best of all, the fabulous company of hosts, Clark & Lauren. Whenever we go back to Des Moines, we'll stay at Butler House!

Room Tip: Cook's Quarters is budget-friendly, but bathroom is quite small. Otherwise, was perfect for our needs.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2015

Des Moines is my hometown and even if the location weren't perfect for me (and it is!), I will always stay at the Butler House on my trips home. Travelling alone, my stay was over the Christmas Holiday and Clark and Lauren were gracious with flexibility that road trips can demand. Breakfasts were outstanding, and always included inquiry to my wishes. On my last morning, I wanted to get a very early start, planning to miss breakfast, however Clark met me the best brown bag breakfast I’ve ever enjoyed! My local family was so jealous they have suggested we just have Christmas 2015 on 3rd floor of the Butler House. Haha!

Unfortunately, I became very ill with the flu on Christmas Eve and was back in my room before 7pm. Clark and Lauren couldn't have been more caring, seeing to my needs and quietly checking on me at least a couple of times – during their own Christmas-time with family.

My stay was in the charming Secret Garden Room, windows all around make it light and airy with views to both the little garden below and the Art Center across Grand Avenue. The room has a queen sized four poster bed with super comfy feather bed to snuggle deep into - being from Florida, I was never cold in the room. The refrigerator and light treats in the hallway are an especially nice touch.

I will definitely stay there again and wholeheartedly recommend the Butler House.

Room Tip: Tell Lauren or Clark your plans needs and they are wonderful at suggestions.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo