“My first B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Des Moines
Butler House on Grand
Ranked #3 of 4 Des Moines B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 October 2015

I enjoyed the charm of the house, our room was on the top floor and it was very quiet despite the busy road nearby. Lauren was a wonderful hostess offering us suggestions for dinner and activities. Check in was seamless with my only complaint being the house itself was hard to see from the road and the sign was too small. We drove past it. The breakfast was deliciously homemade.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 October 2015

Beautiful house, gorgeous furnishings, excellent location, especially for runners or bikers, with easy access to the river trails, wonderful food, and best of all, the fabulous company of hosts, Clark & Lauren. Whenever we go back to Des Moines, we'll stay at Butler House!

Room Tip: Cook's Quarters is budget-friendly, but bathroom is quite small. Otherwise, was perfect for our...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2015

Des Moines is my hometown and even if the location weren't perfect for me (and it is!), I will always stay at the Butler House on my trips home. Travelling alone, my stay was over the Christmas Holiday and Clark and Lauren were gracious with flexibility that road trips can demand. Breakfasts were outstanding, and always included inquiry to my wishes. On my last morning, I wanted to get a very early start, planning to miss breakfast, however Clark met me the best brown bag breakfast I’ve ever enjoyed! My local family was so jealous they have suggested we just have Christmas 2015 on 3rd floor of the Butler House. Haha!

Unfortunately, I became very ill with the flu on Christmas Eve and was back in my room before 7pm. Clark and Lauren couldn't have been more caring, seeing to my needs and quietly checking on me at least a couple of times – during their own Christmas-time with family.

My stay was in the charming Secret Garden Room, windows all around make it light and airy with views to both the little garden below and the Art Center across Grand Avenue. The room has a queen sized four poster bed with super comfy feather bed to snuggle deep into - being from Florida, I was never cold in the room. The refrigerator and light treats in the hallway are an especially nice touch.

I will definitely stay there again and wholeheartedly recommend the Butler House.

Room Tip: Tell Lauren or Clark your plans needs and they are wonderful at suggestions.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2015

This is a grand Victorian B & B. The rooms were spacious and elegant. The place is magnificent! The owner greeted us warmly. We were Breakfast was outstanding. Glad to have experience this B & B as we traveled across the country. High recommend!

Room Tip: Great elegant room, great sleep. Couldn't have asked for more.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2015

This place was beautiful, historic, comfortable, and felt like visiting family. The hosts are amazing, and the food was incredible. Went there to do some biking on a rails-to-trails bike trail, and the hosts were very accommodating. They suggested good places to eat and good places to visit. There's a beautiful park across the street with lots of flowers, too. If I ever find myself needing a place to stay in Des Moines, this is the first place I'll look. It really is that good.

Stayed: June 2015