“Wonderful Hole in the Wall!”

Sam's Fine Food & Egg Rolls
Ranked #125 of 579 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Reviewed 12 February 2015

I have been eating at Sam's for over 10 years now. Sam is entertaining and takes pride in his food. Open viewing of him cooking and he likes to interact with his clients. None of that sliding the order through the window and quickly shutting like many Asian restaurants. The pork friend rice is awesome. His egg rolls are fresh, and you can taste the difference in his meats used.

1  Thank liverbritts
There are newer reviews for Sam's Fine Food & Egg Rolls

Reviewed 19 November 2014

This Chinese food is delicious! I recommend the sweet and sour chicken and fried rice. The fried rice was the best fried rice I've ever had. Also, the crab rangoons are really good. Yum!

Reviewed 4 November 2014 via mobile

Have went here for years with my family. Everything is delicious and Sam is the nicest guy ever. Personal favorites would be the crab ragoons, angry chicken and sweet and sour chicken

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'm thinking maybe I got the wrong thing? The Empress Chicken was recommended by the owner. I got that plus an order of their egg rolls. It came with a small order of soup. The total for this was 11.50 for lunch, which for Chinese food is a bit expensive. The Empress Chicken was bland with no real spice to it, the sauce on it was so thick, it looked like a blood bath on my plate. The portions were rather small. The soup was fine, nothing to write home about. The egg rolls were really peppery and just... not good. The taste of pepper killed any other taste the egg rolls could have had.

I could have dealt with the food, but the owner was really kind of annoying. Within a half hour lunch I believe he came over 8 times to randomly talk to us. It was hard to have a conversation with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile when he came over at least 3 times to ask us if we were going to the State Fair. Also, when the food would come out, he pretty much hovered over us until we praised it. There's a fine line between being friendly as the owner/staff and being a nuisance, and he definitely crossed it.

It makes me sad because I love supporting local places, but I won't be coming back. I'll stick to Tsing Tsao on the South Side which has never disappointed.

Short story. Not so great food, small portions, high prices and annoying service.

1  Thank Des Moines G
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Visited Sam & ordered the best potstickers one has ever had! His homemade sweet & sour sauce is awesome, especially when you dip the fantastic crab rangoon in it. If you are looking for the best chicken fried rice you have ever had you will find it at Sam's Fine Eggroll! Sam always welcomes you from the kitchen by yelping out a "hello, come on in"...making us feel very welcome. Great place, amazing food, and a warm welcome!

2  Thank Tammy C