“The food is tasty, the price is right”

Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #372 of 584 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 1 December 2014

We eat lunch here occasionally when we're in a hurry and in the mood for Chinese food. The lunch buffet is very reasonably priced and includes drink. The selection isn't huge, but we can always find several dishes that we want and they always taste good. The staff rarely comes around, not even to pick up used plates, but that doesn't bother us too much. The drinks are by the food, so we can get our own refills. The restaurant itself is unattractive, but we don't go for the ambiance. I recommend it for what it is, a decent Chinese buffet at a good price.

1  Thank empressoftheuniverse

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Buffet style. Flavor generally good. Food often dry. Many selections. Kids usually love it. Lacks ambience.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Not sure if this is a real restaurant or a joke, but we stopped in here for dinner on our way to a show at the Civic Center. Five hungry people, all who love Chinese food and not one of us enjoyed the "food" we got. Two ordered off the menu and three had the buffet, and it was all terrible.
Let me tell you the ways it is terrible - taste, texture, freshness and quality. I seriously have never been to a restaurant this bad in my life, and I lived in a third world country for a year. I question the type of meats used in the food.
Needless to say, one bite, and there was nothing more any of us wanted to eat, so I cant even tell you which dishes were the worst, because we tried everything on the buffet, and even the Jell-O was not done correctly.
The décor was in terrible disarray, and when we walked in, we all looked at each other, but since we were on a limited time schedule, we said how bad can it really be??? Well, bad is an understatement.
The restaurant it self was busy with people coming in frequently for take out, but I wondered what they were actually taking out. Certainly a person would not come her for the food.
I would not recommend this place to anyone, but would recommend the health department make a visit.
In short, this place is terrible, and it is a wonder it is even open.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

dirty, dark, smelly, weird.
i was afraid to eat the food and once I did I wish I hadn't.

paid $7.25 for beef with broccoli - received oilly smelly fatty dish of dog meat with 2 days old recycled broccoli floating in fat .. taste was horrific / the whole dish was made of clearly recycled left offers from buffet

i would never ever recommend this place to anyone
Place is unhealthy and should be banned from serving food to humans!

3  Thank Alex S
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I've lived by Hong Kong for 7 years and although the cast of characters changes, nothing much else has. Reliable, affordable, usually pretty fresh... It is on the small side for buffets so be advised.

1  Thank Mr G