“This restaurant makes the best Chinese food around; plus, they make you feel like family!”
Review of House of Hunan

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
House of Hunan
Ranked #426 of 603 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 3 November 2014

When we lived in Des Moines, my family frequented this restaurant a couple of times a week. Even now that we have moved 30 min away, we still drive here to eat as there really is no better restaurant around. Plus, the owner could not be more friendly. I highly recommend eating here.

1  Thank doclydic

Reviewed 3 November 2014

Good food but cockroaches in kitchen and dog meat in fridge. They said it's for their own use but I don't want a puppyplatter next to my meal.

1  Thank Proteeus3
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Still searching for a very good Chinese place in DSM... This place is very dated in décor and has very low ambiance (aged plastic table clothes were pretty bad). Very few customers during our visit, and only one lady handling the entire front-of-house. She was polite enough and certainly hustled.

Appetizers were 2 star at best. Soup lacked flavor, and spring rolls were small, a bit oily, and tasted of the frozen variety.

Entrees were good. Hot, fresh, good quality ingredients. Surprising light on volume however, especially given the price.

The entrée quality would draw us back for another visit, but the look and upkeep will hold us back.

1  Thank NewStart78
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I like the fast service for both eat in and pick up, I've never had it delivered. The staff is always friendly. The food is good, and because it is so good I have ventured to try more items on the menu. Crab rangoons never disappoint either! A family joke is to take a picture of our meal and send to other family members with the title, "have you had your Hunan today?"

1  Thank SamplesEvrythng
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I use price point a lot in dining out. This was not an expensive restaurant, but I still don't think the food made it to its price point. The spring roll was over cooked, mushy, and lacked flavor. The one bright spot was the crab rangoon which was good. I had twice cooked pork, the green pepper seemed fresh. I had to think about what I had because it was unmemorable. My dining companions agreed on our food quality. The seating was so uncomfortable at our table that the waitress changed one out at our request. The service was average. One order came out wrong and was not cheerfully corrected (or offered to be corrected). After departing 2 of our group said the order was right against 2 saying it was wrong, therefore you be the judge, (and the waitress got the deciding vote).

1  Thank herniaowner