All reviews road noise decent place to sleep one night close to downtown air conditioner bed was comfortable hilton mattress desk
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

For the one night I was there it wasn’t bad especially for the price. I slept comfortably. The one thing is the noise from the street, but I’m a light sleeper. Cute hotel inside. Outside could use some work. But nice find for me!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

So I wouldn't call this love at first sight. The motel's exterior screamed...well, motel. The check in area was a sterile space scattered with moth balls, and the paint colors were definitely chosen by a blind person. I waited my turn and approached the bullet proof glass. The nice lady sorted out some confusion and sent me to the room.

This is where the motel shined. The room was not at all Bates like. The owners had put a lot of effort in updating it. As other reviewers mentioned, the clean room had enough charging ports and the a/c was strong. Not many extras, but it had all the necessities. The street noise was covered up by the a/c and the bed was comfortable.

The only real disappointment, was that the WiFi did not work for my husband. And there was nowhere in the vicinity to eat and this was not the walking type area. I'm sure it wasn't unsafe, but still.

It appears that this is a simple motel that a hard working family has made the best of. It does not pretend to be the Hilton, but just a comfortable , clean place to lay your head within 10 min of downtown...and cost a third of your typical downtown hotel. If this is your expectation, then you will be happy. 3.5 stars is seems right.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

1) Noise: The motel is located on a very busy and loud road. The only barrier between the road and your sleep is a flimsy door and thin wall.

2) Price: Good price

3) Front desk: I called before coming and they assured me they had king beds. They put me in a room with a queen bed even though I specifically asked for one with a king. I went back to the front desk when I discovered it wasn’t a king bed. They then lied and said they were out of king beds. There are literally only 2 cars in the parking lot. There’s no way they’re out of king rooms.

4) WiFi: My room (31) had no WiFi. The signal was too weak. Neither my phone nor laptop could connect.

5) Location: Nothing around you. Area seems sketchy. I feel like they ought to provide you with a firearm to protect yourself upon check in.

6) Cleanliness: The room appeared clean.

7) AC: no central AC. The old window unit is loud and only has two fan settings; High and super high. This does NOT drown out the loud street noises at all.

I asked my wife to just walk away and book another room but she didn’t want to lose the money we spent. I was willing to cut our losses.

I highly advise you to spend a little more money and get a better place to sleep. I’m not sure how in the world this place was rated as high as it was.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2018

I give the Cozy Rest five stars not because it's better than the Hilton - it isn't - but because it would be hard to run a modest, budget two-floor motel better than they do. Let me try to think of some negatives: there are no restaurants, convenience stores or fast food places within reasonable walking distance, the rooms don't have fridges or microwaves, the room carpet is a little worn, the motel is on a busy street (but it's white noise, much like that of the very effective a/c). On the other hand, the room may be on the small side but it's very clean, the mattress is firm and comfortable, there are lots of outlets in the walls (including USB, unlike most motels), the wireless works, the motel is close to downtown and certainly the price is right. I'm glad I trusted other reviewers and tried the Cozy Rest, rather than spending an additional $40 to get nothing more than a familiar name.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank botafogoblogger
Reviewed 12 June 2018

We were on a budget, and everything in downtown Des Moines was booked or pricey, so we tried Cozy Rest.

Cozy Rest has an old-time "motor inn" feel. Located on a busy road in a vaguely Latino area south of town, it looks dumpy from outside (aging sign, crumbly staircase), but the rooms are OK. Spartan and threadbare, for sure, but the mattress was firm and shower hot. Free parking, pleasant staff.

I liked the “Clean Remote” which is designed to be disinfected. Very clever. But I struggled to get a signal on the TV. Plus the gent at the front-desk provided the wrong wif-fi.

My biggest gripe: no coffee. Not in the room, the office, nothing for a mile (the “Git-n-Go” by the Des Moines River.) Other gripes: no towel hooks, no fridge (as advertised), no clothes hangers. A few basic improvements could really help this place.

Room Tip: No coffee in room or office
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends