“Great food”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Been there many times and everytime it's great. My personal favorite is the beef broccoli beef. Love the egg rolls and egg drop soup also.
Definitely a must

There are newer reviews for Taste of China

Reviewed 9 January 2017

My husband and I chose this restaurant due to the favorable reviews. This was our first time in Des Moines and I was in the mood for Chinese lunch...specifically, Shrimp Toast. We were surprised to see that it was a walk-up counter joint. I ordered one of my favorites - Sweet and Sour Chicken, along with Shrimp Toast and Rangoon.

The young man that took our order at the counter was personable enough. I was surprised that the lunch specials did not include hot tea or a fortune cookie. Maybe that's why the prices were so reasonable! When my lunch was brought to our booth (no tables) it was on a styrofoam plate, along with tiny plastic utensils that you went to the counter for. Beverages were also served in styrofoam.

My lunch plate included white or fried rice and a cup of soup. I didn't eat my fried rice. The Hot and Sour soup was delicious! My chicken consisted of deep fried chicken balls. No onion, no peppers, no pineapple or cherries! But, at least the chicken was tender. Usually I find it to be too tough or dry. The Rangoon is very good but the Shrimp Toast was awful. Don't bother.

When we dropped our trash into the can and headed toward the door, the two young women at the counter were far too busy on their phones to look up and say, "Thank you" or "Please come again." Left a really bad taste in our mouths for this place. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Cheap prices=Lousy experience.

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Service at this place continues to need work. We called in a carryout order and the lady was short with us and quick to hang up without asking additional questions about our order. Food tasted great as usual as they put in fresh veggies. Not the diced up kind that you would get elsewhere but full, fresh ones. Worth the extra drive and carryout for sure.

Reviewed 14 April 2016

As easy as it is to find a mediocre Chinese carryout place, it is equally difficult to find a really good one. So I was thrilled when I discovered Taste of China so close to my house. This is, hands down, the best Chinese food I have had, having searched all over the Des Moines metro, and previously, Ames and the Chicago suburbs. None come close to matching Taste of China.

As others have mentioned, the service is not the friendliest, and there's no atmosphere to speak of in the stripmall storefront they inhabit. However, food here is deliciously seasoned, contains big pieces of tender meat and even more notably, lots of fresh vegetables in most of their entrees. My go-to, the Szechuan Chicken, contains bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and more, plus hearty chicken in a spicy, flavorful sauce. A far cry from the rubbery meat alone in bland sauce you find at many other joints around town.

I love the Szechuan, but have also enjoyed Orange Chicken and Sesame Chicken here. Even the Chicken and Broccoli, which my kiddo loves, is tastier than you find almost anywhere else. Egg rolls are big, with the nice thicker wrappers, and the hot & sour soup is amazing. I have to get that almost every time we order here.

I know many people think all Chinese carryout is interchangeable, but I wonder if that's just 'cause they've never had any as good as Taste of China. Best in the city, best I've had anywhere!

Reviewed 22 December 2014

Depending on who answers the phone, the lady is not the most friendly. However, I would prefer great food over service when I do a carryout. I will have to say this place serves the best Chinese food in the Des Moines area. I will now drive 15 minutes just to get their Chinese. What makes them stand out? Its the fact that their meals are done fresh and they give you a ton of food for the money. The vegetables are all fresh and not pre-diced like most Chinese restaurants. Their food isn't pre-made which adds to the fresh flavors. If you want good chinese, fresh vegetables, cheap prices, and authentic taste, go to this place.