“Best Chinese food around!”
Review of Taste of China

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 14 April 2016

As easy as it is to find a mediocre Chinese carryout place, it is equally difficult to find a really good one. So I was thrilled when I discovered Taste of China so close to my house. This is, hands down, the best Chinese food I have had, having searched all over the Des Moines metro, and previously, Ames and the Chicago suburbs. None come close to matching Taste of China.

As others have mentioned, the service is not the friendliest, and there's no atmosphere to speak of in the stripmall storefront they inhabit. However, food here is deliciously seasoned, contains big pieces of tender meat and even more notably, lots of fresh vegetables in most of their entrees. My go-to, the Szechuan Chicken, contains bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and more, plus hearty chicken in a spicy, flavorful sauce. A far cry from the rubbery meat alone in bland sauce you find at many other joints around town.

I love the Szechuan, but have also enjoyed Orange Chicken and Sesame Chicken here. Even the Chicken and Broccoli, which my kiddo loves, is tastier than you find almost anywhere else. Egg rolls are big, with the nice thicker wrappers, and the hot & sour soup is amazing. I have to get that almost every time we order here.

I know many people think all Chinese carryout is interchangeable, but I wonder if that's just 'cause they've never had any as good as Taste of China. Best in the city, best I've had anywhere!

There are newer reviews for Taste of China

Reviewed 22 December 2014

Depending on who answers the phone, the lady is not the most friendly. However, I would prefer great food over service when I do a carryout. I will have to say this place serves the best Chinese food in the Des Moines area. I will now drive 15 minutes just to get their Chinese. What makes them stand out? Its the fact that their meals are done fresh and they give you a ton of food for the money. The vegetables are all fresh and not pre-diced like most Chinese restaurants. Their food isn't pre-made which adds to the fresh flavors. If you want good chinese, fresh vegetables, cheap prices, and authentic taste, go to this place.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

If you order for delivery or for pick up, the order taker is abrupt and hurried. They often hang up without saying good-bye, thank you, or anything. They have actually answered the phone several times "What you want?". If you don't know - they seem aggrevated. I find it a less than pleasant experience. They are fast and they are located in a part of the city where there aren't may options for chinese dining. The food is average - what you expect chinese fast food to be. They moved several years ago and it seems tripadvisor still has their original address listed - that building was torn down and replaced with a gas station. Their new address is 2212 Douglas Ave., Des Moines, IA 50310. I don't think they have a website.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Enjoyed it very much, everything was fresh and the staff was wonderful, good prices.